The Echo Incident

Guest parnassus

Guest parnassus

With all due respect Bipto, but the sheriff's department wouldn't have been the ones to worry about the hunting license, that would have fallen to a game warden. It may appear that Colyer was carrying a weapon with the intent to hunt with, in Oklahoma, and being a Texas State Resident, did not have an out of stater hunting license. Regardless of it being on private land, Colyer was an out of stater and is required by law to have an out of stater hunting license in the state of Oklahoma when carrying a firearm like this in the woods. The TBRC should really consider evaluating their protocols and procedures for carrying weapons in the woods, including following local hunting regulations. JMHO

IANAL but I suspect the sheriff, although not citing Colyer, must have pointed out relevant laws and penalties relating to discharge of firearms in OK ( not all of which concern hunting), and the nephew's agreement not to press charges was an important factor.

Is that correct Bipto?

Edited by parnassus

Hummmm, I can't understand why a sasquatch would place themselves between two groups of humans. At least not based on what I know about their behavior.

Edit- Then there was the guy in the creek bed that ran back to cabin, nephew and girlfriend retreated back. So the sasquatch ran to the creek bed. Based on that, the road that the nephew and neice fled back on ought to go over the creek bed right?

So the sasquatch went in the other direction, maybe? If it was a bigfoot, best I can tell. Which would have took it back by the cabin.

Edited by Jodie

The team departed for home the next morning. Shortly after reestablishing cell phone coverage, Mr. Branson contacted the team and informed them that his nephew and his nephew’s girlfriend had driven to the site the previous day. The nephew left his truck parked at the property gate and had begun to walk up the path toward the cabins when he heard what he mistook to be machine gun fire. He ran back to his truck and fled the area, apparently damaging his truck in the process. Colyer never saw or heard the truck prior to its departure, nor did he see or hear the two people. Their position, relative to Colyer’s, was to the west through the dense forest, while the animal Colyer was attempting to collect was to his southwest. Neither they nor their vehicle was ever in the line of fire.

Bipto, can you please clear up some confusion with what is written above.........In reference to "if" the girlfriend was actually "with the boyfriend" when the shooting occurred or did she stay at the truck and wait. The above states that "the nephew" left his truck and began to walk up the path......."He" ran back to his truck..........

Just trying to better understand the events.

Just my .02........I can understand why some here are upset with the shooting in reference to the nephew and the girlfriend being in the area during the shooting episode. It definately could have been a lot worse but luckily it wasn't, no one got hurt. The truck damage was paid for. No charges were filed.

I wonder if the same scenario played out above "but" with DC getting charged by a bear or a large cat (instead of unloading on a b/f) and he emptied his weapon, the nephew and girlfriend would still have gotten scared and the boy still would have damaged his truck because of the fear factor from the gunfire.

Just my thought process.

Bipto, I appreciate you putting yourself out there to answer questions as well as taking a lot of stuff from folks in regard to this incident. When I say something about ethical shots or safety, I mean no disrespect to anyone with the TBRC or the shooter in this incident. I have been a lifelong hunter, and have taught Hunter Safety numerous times, and I feel really strongly about it. I have been hunting when an experienced hunter took a shot that he should not have and took the life of his brother. We tried to get him out of the woods in time, but he bled to death in the back of the truck. I am sure that in my younger days I have had "buck fever" and taken shots that I should not have, but I was always in a tree, so if I missed, my bullet or arrow went into the ground. I say this so that I won't come across in a condescending way, though I comment on the safety issues regarding this particular incident.

No. We were there for an addition three weeks or so and nothing happened that would cause us to think such precautions were necessary.

Precautions are meant to be taken before something happens, not after something bad happens. This incident warranted precautionary plans for all future outings where firearms were involved. I am right there with you guys as far as getting a specimen, but safety is more important. So is an ethical shot that kills, rather than wounds.

Apparently Colyer and Diaz chose not to immediately pursue the sasquatch.

It is a common practice that if you shoot an animal while hunting and it runs off, to give it a little time before you track it. The reasoning behind this is so that if the shot is such that it takes longer to die, if you immediately pursue the animal, it will likely run more, and you may never find it. If you leave it alone for a few hours it will usually not go very far before it lays up and dies, so you are more likely to find it quicker.

Susi says:

It sounds like a 12 gauge shotgun could or perhaps should be a weapon of last defense when it becomes up close and personal with something trying to kill you.

A shotgun is one of the best weapons to use at close range. Art's story about the bear being shot with the shotgun is an example of this. His neighbor took the 400 lb bear out with one shot from his shotgun, and it blew a large hole in the bear.

Also, bipto said they waited until things had been cleared up with the family, not cleaned up, lol. Don't worry, I misread stuff often too :lol:

I know exactly how you feel! We would have gotten *something* accomplished, and it would not be standing around making guesses!

We would have made a search understanding how bleeding works, and how injuries make blood splatter.

HTG, During one code we had to wash the walls and ceiling where blood had splattered. Well, Housekeeping had to, I certainly did not have time to do that..

yeah next time i loose the blood trail of a deer someone shot,i'll make sure to get a nurse,beause tracking an animal in the woods is just like cleaning it up in the hospital.

how about this,they probably didn't find blood because he missed it.you don't have to be a nurse to figure that one out.

I know exactly how you feel! We would have gotten *something* accomplished, and it would not be standing around making guesses!

We would have made a search understanding how bleeding works, and how injuries make blood splatter.

HTG, During one code we had to wash the walls and ceiling where blood had splattered. Well, Housekeeping had to, I certainly did not have time to do that..

umm waffle much ???

first you condemn the shooting.. and everything about it...

then you talk about how you would have gotten *something* accomplished regarding finding blood splatters !!!

Cant have it both ways there Susi...

And yea, i'm sure you would have, as a blood drenched room in a hospital, and following a wounded animal through dense underbrush, where the only thing you have to go by is an occasional drop here, and a drop there are SOOOO similar..

Not to mention, if you knew it was a bigfoot, I'm sure you'd be first in line to march into that same dark dense forest knowing/believing there was a wounded 8' tall 500lb+ animal in there--- right????

Me personally ? I find the best course of action on here, is to not lecture people about something I know little or nothing about, but hey, like I said, that's just me.....

B

Thanks;

I carry a .44 magnum when I bow hunt for those self defense reasons; have encountered bear and lion but never needed it. It is very unusual to have to use such a weapon and very warranted; consent wouldn't be much of an issue... however, Colyer was not in a self-defense situation. He was hunting Bigfoot with the intent to shoot one whether or not it was self decense. I'm sure you see the difference. From what i read the land owner seems to be giving mixed messages or somebody is confused. From what he has said he feels kind of protective of bigfoots. I understand that the group resumed carrying firearms, but that could be for self defense and is not the same as them having permission to hunt with firearms. Does he now understand and approve of this group electively hunting and firing to kill a biped on his land, other than for self-defense?

To clarify, this weapon has a nine shot magazine. It may also hold a shell in the chamber? Did Colyer fire ten rounds?

Has the group or the landowner taken any precautions since this incident to ensure that they will not endanger humans?

I am not sure you answered my question about Colyer passing a hunter safety course.

Thanks

p

If you were in the military you don't net to take a hunters safety course,I think he had a little better training than you would receive in a htc

Bipto, can you please clear up some confusion with what is written above.........In reference to "if" the girlfriend was actually "with the boyfriend" when the shooting occurred or did she stay at the truck and wait. The above states that "the nephew" left his truck and began to walk up the path......."He" ran back to his truck..........

Nobody in the TBRC saw them, and they didn't see us (nor did they see the animal, as far as we've been told). As I've said before, they were ~80 yards away with a lot of dense forest between them and Daryl. We assume they were both on the trail and left in the truck together.

Please allow me to take off my "moderator hat" for a moment, and just make a comment as a regular member...?

(in other words this isnt an "official" statement by a member of staff)

Deep sigh... yet another derailed thread.. as it turns into yet another "kill -vs- no kill", and a debate on "safe hunting procedures"....

I'm surprised sometimes that people are even willing to discuss their business on here, without getting totally frustrated and just walking away....

I give up trying to make sense of it...

Hummmm, I can't understand why a sasquatch would place themselves between two groups of humans. At least not based on what I know about their behavior.

As Rick Noll has said, when they're seen, it's because they screwed up.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but...Would attempting to harvest a BF be viewed as hunting? I know in Washington it's against the law to hunt with a shotgun that carries more than a few slugs. I have no idea what OK game laws are, but doubt that using a 9-shot tactical shotgun would be alright. Not that it matters to me, because going after a Sasquatch is unprecedented, but I just wouldn't talk about it. And choice of weapon seems odd. A tac. shotgun is more of a home defense/house clearing weapon. If he had a regular hunting style 12 gauge, I doubt he misses. My brother has a similar weapon to Colyer's in his F&W truck, along with an AR-15, but it's more for dispatching, or extremely close range combat. Choice of weapon, IMO, cost them a kill that day. It's a d*mn shame. I haven't heard too many shooting stories, but I'd imagine it was probably the closest shot ever taken. I, like Parn, use a

.44 as my side arm(Ruger SuperBlackhawk) when I bow-hunt, and would think that a weapon like that would be a better suited for a close range shot on a BF, mainly because it is easy to carry, and you wouldn't have to go back to grab a rifle, and isn't cumbersome like lugging one around on your shoulder through the woods. Like was touched on earlier in the post...If your intent is to kill a BF, be prepared.

Edited by PacNWSquatcher