Hiflier's Trail Cam Image

hiflier

hiflier, you have the classic near field-far field conundrum. Ferns or trees? The Spypoint trail camera that you have changes the IR output. It has automatic adjustment of the infrared illumination. English: the back scatter from the ferns, near field, decreases the IR output and the far field doesn't get much IR.. Otherwise, the ferns would be totally was washed out.

I put some images through edge detection.  I used a dark contrast. The anomaly does not have detail but is in front of a tree. The enlargement 'blob' does not have any detail. The unknown aerial visitor could be a squirrel / bird.

Edited by Catmandoo
text
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

hiflier, you have the classic near field-far field conundrum. Ferns or trees? The Spypoint trail camera that you have changes the IR output. It has automatic adjustment of the infrared illumination. English: the back scatter from the ferns, near field, decreases the IR output and the far field doesn't get much IR.. Otherwise, the ferns would be totally was washed out.

I put some images through edge detection. I am having difficulty posting them. I used a dark contrast. The anomaly does not have detail but is in front of a tree. The enlargement 'blob' does not have any detail. The unknown aerial visitor could be a squirrel / bird.

Thank you, Cat. By in front of a tree do you mean the taller, wider diameter ash seemingly behind the object. Next time I'm there I'll try to get a diameter on it, been meaning to do that anyway. It snowed here with about a foot on the ground so being the first impressionable snow cover of the season I'll be scouting around that area of Maine on Tuesday after the access road has been cleared tomorrow. After that heavy rain is expected Tuesday night into Wednesday. It'll be a real mess around here for sure come midweek so Tuesday has to be research day.

Edited by hiflier

9 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Thank you, Cat. By in front of a tree do you mean the taller, wider diameter ash seemingly behind the object.

Yes. I have to re-do the edge detection.

Going back in with snow shoes?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Yes. I have to re-do the edge detection.

Going back in with snow shoes?

Roger on the edge detection. I have snow shoes and poles but whether or not I go back in there remains to be seen. I have them mainly for if I cut a trackway either crossing or along a roadside I can go get a closer look or follow in some to make sure there's more than one, two, or three prints- Theoretically they should look endless, right? As in not a hoax. The drifting will be an issue if anything got filled in but the wind also really packed the snow tight so new prints, if any, should be well defined even if deep and with little in the way of splash out.

Edited by hiflier

Day time, night time and edge detection with maximum contrast.

The anomaly is unknown. It  appears to be in front of a tree. Size / scale is unknown. The Spypoint specs list a 50 degree field of view for the PIR.  No specs given for the photo lens FOV. 

Why the magical time lapse setting of 2AM?

Did you smash a fruit item against a tree?

There is more to the back story.

hiflier day image IMG_20230701_212028.jpg.NEW.jpg

More images of the anomaly. The images get over pixelated very easily. Not enough detail but that  will not stop the speculation.

I refer to these images as 'the air force'. Could be a flying squirrel, bird, owl or other. They do quite well using star light to navigate while moving in 'total darkness' for humans.

Another 2AM camera time lapse image capture. What happened 6 hours before and after the aerialist blew through a 50 degree PIR field?

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:30 AM, hiflier said:

I'm also not aware that a game cam, being infrared sensitive at night, could pick up a light beam which basically carries no heat.

It is a time lapse image. The postings do not list time lapse + motion. 

The PIR detects heat-motion, not 'light'. 2 game cams in cross fire positions trigger from target heat-motion intermediate the cams. The IR flash of one cam does not trigger the opposing cam.

I think I solved it, it’s Cousin It.  The hat must have blown off in the ferns and they were looking for it.

image.jpeg.df23e4fe3ec9892642a6f0e9c90cdd8c.jpeg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Day time, night time and edge detection with maximum contrast.

The anomaly is unknown. It  appears to be in front of a tree. Size / scale is unknown. The Spypoint specs list a 50 degree field of view for the PIR.  No specs given for the photo lens FOV. 

Why the magical time lapse setting of 2AM?

Did you smash a fruit item against a tree?

There is more to the back story.

hiflier day image IMG_20230701_212028.jpg.NEW.jpg

hiflier full screen IMG_NEW.jpg

hiflier max edge detection 2024 7-06 PM).png

In the top day light pic, I can see something blurry in front of the tree roughly the same shape as the anomaly. 

14 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

It is a time lapse image. The postings do not list time lapse + motion. 

The PIR detects heat-motion, not 'light'. 2 game cams in cross fire positions trigger from target heat-motion intermediate the cams. The IR flash of one cam does not trigger the opposing cam.

Okay thanks. And thank you for putting in the time on this. As far as " the magical time lapse setting of 2AM" goes I had arbitrarily set the can early on to go off every six hours over and above normal triggering. I chose starting the cadence at 8am because that how the settings on the camera started off. I could've changed the six hour increment start time but didn't see the need as all I wanted to know was that every six hours the camera was still there and not stolen. So I got a transmission sent to my app every six hours that sometimes was a single capture of an empty area or extra photos of animals the cam captured during those six hour time frames.

And there's nothing more to add to the backstory that I can think of. The every-six-hours pre-programmed software simply went off at it scheduled 2AM time. If that hadn't happened then I'm pretty sure I would not have captured the anomaly. Because I'm also positive that whatever it is wasn't close enough to the cam to have triggered it and my distance documentation a couple of days later seemed to support that. I only wish that the event had occurred more than just that once.

My son did a sort of overlay 23 second video using two images of the area after using the trees as references for the overlay. One from day and one from night. If I find that I'll post it as it may help nail this thing down? It might also support Norseman's flashlight illumination idea. Looking at your edge detection work though I'm not sure it will but definitely worth a looksee fror discussion's sake.

That is interesting.    There is nothing solid there.    It's light and 2D lack of depth perception.   But .. but .. as the light dims, the "thing" does not.   There seems to be a brighter patch in front of the "thing" extending toward, and right of, the camera on the plants.    Suggests a light source of some sort, but if it is IR, not visible light, that shouldn't be, and it gives the appearance of color, not B&W, so it would seem to be visible light.   I don't know what you've got there.   Intriguing / interesting in a technical sense.

Thanks, MIB, your comments are exactly why I eventually decided to bring the conundrum here. I needed more minds because I simply had not been able to get a handle on what I was seeing. As a result it has been on my mind a lot over the past 6 months and you can clearly see why. As I mentioned earlier, I don't know what it is, I only know what it's not.

Edited by hiflier

I can see a light gray nearly translucent shadow in the shape of the anomaly in the daylight pic. As it goes into darkness, I can see the shape transition from light gray to white light.