Wood Knocks= Humans In Area? Bf Language

My only experience with knocking was when I nearly got run over by a BF. I heard it coming right at me through the undergrowth, with heavy bipedal footsteps, then a loud crash / thud when it either saw me or smelled me and went into a crouch because the wind was at my back blowing right towards it. About 15 seconds after the thud it produced a rapid series of knocks that I believe was either 3 or 4 knocks. Since the one coming towards me and another one on another side of the creek had been whooping at each other for several minutes as they approached, I assumed the knocking was a warning to the other BF to stay away or that I was there. So in this case it seemed to be a warning since the whoops would have served to let them know their position relative to each other. So this implies that to BF whoops and knocks serve a different purpose. Until some audio study is done in some remote area where humans are never present, we cannot be sure knocks are not in some way connected to human presence. They may feel no need to do them when humans are not around.

Researchers doing knocks is troubling to me. First of all, we really do not know for sure what they mean to a BF. If it is a warning about humans in the area, how is doing that of any help if you seek an encounter? Human vocalizations trying to imitate BF is also problematic when we do not know what the meaning of the different vocalization sounds are. Does anyone really think BF cannot tell the difference between their vocalizations and ours? A full blown BF howl carries for miles and is quite unique. But many humans try to imitate them. BF use various animal imitations for their own purpose and that primary purpose seems to be deceit or to trying to fool humans into thinking they are an owl or other normal forest animal but maintain positional awareness with each other. The owl like whoops I experienced were an example of that. So logically, if they are capable of higher analytical thought, humans using BF vocalizations, are being deceitful and up to no good.

Finally, I am concerned that my own field behavior, may be perceived to BF as a hunting behavior. I may not be carrying a rifle, but I do carry a handgun for cougars etc, and if watched by a BF when I am looking at footprints, scat, and other animal sign it would be obvious to a sentient being that I am hunting something. Put a bunch of me in the woods in a given area and they might feel quite threatened. Perhaps to the point where they might move away from an area for a while. I have wondered if that is one reason why some research areas suddenly go cold. Randy

Interesting. Maybe the whoops are warnings of people near, and the wood knocks are something else. If you need to do a warning, and may not have time to find a stick and correct tree, so why not whoop?  I wonder if the wood knocks are really for finding the other guy or gal out there and whoops are warnings.

I agree, human wood knocks and call blasting can be a form of sound pollution that actually works negatively for BF.

It was mentioned that BF may carry a 'knock stick' but are there any reports of this?

Edited by georgerm

Hello georgerm,

Humans trying to call Sasquatch to get some kind of response would succeed in letting the animal know a Human's location.  If Sasquatch numbers are not all that high in different regions then they cannot cover all the bases all the time and there may be situations where they do NOT know that there are Humans in their woods.  

What about whistles? Calling in the  small juveniles? In either case I still think that recording different Sasquatch "dialects" from different regions and introducing a "foreign" one by switching them around could elicit a more aggressive response. By the same token humans going into an area and whooping it up may have the same effect as a Sasquatch intruder coming in from somewhere else. The newly perceived competition might not be that welcome.

If you ask me, that's closer to the reason for the tactics that we view as mere curiosity. I think Sasquatch encounters possess an alternaate potential not many consider.

Edited by hiflier

I am really after 1000 post, but I do agree that wood knocking is indeed

a bigfoot behavior, It must either warn or welcome... I am not sure which?

It could be a general alert, but with enough personal info, there may be determinable patterns here. Do they woop more in the South, where trees will be wetter and less 'knockable'?

Remember, these are sharp cracks, and that BF should know how to sound like a BF, not a tree breaking.

BFF Patron

The key to even beginning understanding knocks and vocalizations is careful documentation, putting things in a data base, and at some point starting to do some analysis. As long as we can rule out human sources of both which seems to be reaching a problematic level. Perhaps at some point patterns will start to develop. I do not think at this point there is enough data to produce anything meaningful. Too many organizations collecting data, many of which do not share data, infighting in certain groups, and strong personalities are all roadblocks to that sort of thing. Even my own experience, I cannot know for sure what was happening. The whoops were obviously vocally generated and the back and forth nature was obviously some level of communication but the source of the knocking sound and it's intent is unknown. There was plenty of dry down wood at the site to provide something to knock with. When I investigated I was amazed that anything could travel through it because of the density all the down wood. I was crawling over and under logs getting to the point where I found disturbed forest floor. Certainly the 15 sec pause between the earth shaking thud and the knocking sound was time for the FB to evaluate the situation, select a stick, and make the sound. It could have meant several things to the BF. Possibilities are warning to the other BF, warning to me to stay away, or others unknown to me. Should someone else encounter a similar situation, perhaps some commonalities would be observed. Randy

• Upvote 1

OP zaa Wag only those with inside information can answer your questions, outherwise is just outside tactical gleaned evidence. Which eviden' before you in posts is displayed. Ta ta. I post'd this you in the other thread too.

Cotter, southernyahoo, and Gearman, tactical tactical tactical observational evidences. SWWasasquatchproject, you really want to know it sounds like. DWA are you withholding vital information about woodknocking?

Brent, you seem to be trying to tell us something, I think we get the tactical aspects in making the observations, at least in when they might occur but am curious about your doubt that we can understand their purpose.

Simple locator sounds seems logical, but I also think they are meant to provoke a reaction in us at times. Perhaps their way of saying hello or test our intent or receptiveness to their presence.

Here is another knock I recorded at 4:45am in the morning and within the perimeter of our camp. We had done some knocks and calls the evening before to stir their interest. You'll hear what I think is a couple heavy steps after the knock.

9-13-09-at-0447hrs-knock.wav

The key to even beginning understanding knocks and vocalizations is careful documentation, putting things in a data base, and at some point starting to do some analysis. As long as we can rule out human sources of both which seems to be reaching a problematic level. Perhaps at some point patterns will start to develop. I do not think at this point there is enough data to produce anything meaningful. Too many organizations collecting data, many of which do not share data, infighting in certain groups, and strong personalities are all roadblocks to that sort of thing. Even my own experience, I cannot know for sure what was happening. The whoops were obviously vocally generated and the back and forth nature was obviously some level of communication but the source of the knocking sound and it's intent is unknown. There was plenty of dry down wood at the site to provide something to knock with. When I investigated I was amazed that anything could travel through it because of the density all the down wood. I was crawling over and under logs getting to the point where I found disturbed forest floor. Certainly the 15 sec pause between the earth shaking thud and the knocking sound was time for the FB to evaluate the situation, select a stick, and make the sound. It could have meant several things to the BF. Possibilities are warning to the other BF, warning to me to stay away, or others unknown to me. Should someone else encounter a similar situation, perhaps some commonalities would be observed. Randy

Exactly, documentation is the key to advancing the understanding of the subject, patterns emerge from the collection of data points.

Randy, I am glad to know that there are others like myself who push this, I will be reading your posts frequently.

SSR Team

Too much theory and not enough reports! The single knocks seem to be 'human in area', and 'human now leaving', although they may be broader depending on the location etc...

How are you coming to this conclusion ?

How many reports have you looked at to get to this conclusion ?

Or are you having multiple experiences of knocks in a specific area currently ?

In the state of WA alone out of 500 plus reports, there are 37 that have " knocking " in them.

Finally, I am concerned that my own field behavior, may be perceived to BF as a hunting behavior. I may not be carrying a rifle, but I do carry a handgun for cougars etc, and if watched by a BF when I am looking at footprints, scat, and other animal sign it would be obvious to a sentient being that I am hunting something. Put a bunch of me in the woods in a given area and they might feel quite threatened. Perhaps to the point where they might move away from an area for a while. I have wondered if that is one reason why some research areas suddenly go cold. Randy

I may Never see a Bigfoot, cause I guarantee you that when I am in the woods, I too am Carrying a Gun.......Frankly, unless theres about 3 or 4 of ya together, I think it'd be somewhat Foolish to be walking around in the woods where you may Not be the Apex Predator.

Here in GA, not really a big deal, but out West where there are Wolves(Not yotes) grizzlies and Cougars? Aint no way I dont have a gun  =0)

To the OP, Anything related to what a Knock is or is not, can only be an opinion. Even though opinions such as BobbyO's and a few other's may have more traction than say someone like me. It would take  a currently impossible study to verify what a knock actually means.

SSR Team

True Brent but if you wanted to attempt to understand, there are 107 reports on knocking in the SSR Database ranging from 8,000ft in elevation to 10ft, in every month of the year.

Looking at those would be a decent place to start.

And they range from Washington to Florida, Oregon to West Virginia, Alabama to British Columbia and lots in between.

Yes bfriendly opinions must be carefully weighed. You won't find too many here who know the full story about knocking.

Brent , if I may... I'd like to add a bit more. There is No One here , or Anywhere in this field of interest.. that knows the full story about knocking. The species would have to be studied and researched in it's own natural environment (not captured and studied) for extended periods of time... of actually observing the subjects doing this, and interacting (knocking) with others. Not only can these things not be studied, they can't even be found on a regular basis. Those claiming that they are being studied, the Only proof of that.. is in the actual pudding.. not the fan club internet babble

Edited by imonacan

http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=27075

Aheeeeahaaaaheeeeehaaaa..... This is not a 'typical' wood knock, its about the BF's territory being invaded.

Many of the BFRO reports might be 'back engineered'. There are multiple knocks with hunters and hikers on 'busy' trails-add a rock thrown in, clearly juvi-BF practicing trying to scare the humans, etc..

I am more looking into single and double knocks, not 'knock knock knock knock knock..... or 'knocking' to the rythm of a hunter/invader walking (hahahahhehhehehehhehheee)... Man that would be  freaky but its not the same category I thinks not.

Woodknocking is clearly a 'multi-tool'.

Edited by Wag