Wood Knocks= Humans In Area? Bf Language

Hey Nathan Good post I think that you are on to something. It is just more practical to knock in order to warn the others. This makes sense when you live a foraging lifestyle as you said. I also think they may use the concept one, two, three knocks for many. I believe I have experienced this in the forest.

When alone i have consistently heard one knock. When with my Dad i heard two. As a girl scout on hike I used to hear three. There is no way to know for sure without more experiences - but it fits with the proto-language hypothesis. This was also used during paleolithic times. When a culture is hunter-gatherer based it does not need more than the concept of one, two, and many.

Lightheart, your comments make good sense. Your repeat knock sequence hypothesis along with field observation is powerful. Hope you are right. It may be as simple as hypothesis B.  

pop...............pop....................pop.....................pop...... which simply means 'cougar intruder.'  Maybe.... pop.........pop..pop...............pop........... means 'human intruder'. Bears and cougars are probably worth warning the BF troop about too.

We just don't have enough knowledge of BF and other Paleolithic prmate ways of communication. The proto-language hypothesis makes sense in that humans make rhythms but does BF?  Rhythm creating is one of my areas of interest. Conga and bongo playing has been an interest of mine for many years since I probably have too much Neanderthal DNA!...........whoop  alley oop..... Slowed down simple rhythms could communicate distinct messages. Africans called their drums talking drums for a good reason since their rhythms are well complex but precise. They know best what one particluar rhythm means.  

As a side note, hunter gatherers had to split 11 fish among 4 fishermen at times which involves some serious math concepts so does the complexity apply to knocks? We may never know then. 

Here's a curve ball................does BF really knock or maybe it's every BF for themselves? It's still a mystery imho.

Wag , I am not sure I understand your question LOL , could you explain it more in detail so I can respond accordingly ? 

not sure he does either........................

Anyway, did my post number 82 make sense or was it a drag to read?  Thought it would add to the body of  BF knowledge.

No, not a drag at all, there is several rhythmic sounding knocking sequences in the Morehead tapes that sound much like what you referenced.    It would not surprise me if there is at times a further complex communication going on with knocking.

Guest lightheart

Hey George   Interesting idea.  In my opinion the need to use rhythm is a very primal one in human beings . I would not be surprised at all that the Sasquatch make use of it in some ways - maybe with the knocks although i have not heard this in the forest. i think they are attracted to rhythm and it might help to draw them in a bit closer. i have a pan pipe and I am thinking that i will take it on my bike rides and hikes next year. A pan pipe of course is not a rhythm instrument but rather a wind instrument. 

No, not a drag at all, there is several rhythmic sounding knocking sequences in the Morehead tapes that sound much like what you referenced.    It would not surprise me if there is at times a further complex communication going on with knocking.

I experienced a similar phenomenon a week or so ago. Loud thunking noises on what sounded like tree bark in a rhythmic cadence, one after the other.

Meanwhile, Samuel Morse rolled over in his grave.

If I may , who is Scott Morse and why would he roll over in his grave ?  

Meanwhile, Samuel Morse rolled over in his grave.

That is a great connection and funny but realistic. We humans make our communications really complicated so why can't BF have some sound code?

Nathan Samuel Morse helped invent the telegraph. Morse Code was transmitted by the telegraph over a single wire. A huge step in Homo sapien communications. It was just fading out when I was a kid!......................no...just kidding.

It happened by 1872.

bye............going out for awhile and will check back later.........hope no one ruins the party?

Edited by georgerm

Hey George   Interesting idea.  In my opinion the need to use rhythm is a very primal one in human beings . I would not be surprised at all that the Sasquatch make use of it in some ways - maybe with the knocks although i have not heard this in the forest. i think they are attracted to rhythm and it might help to draw them in a bit closer. i have a pan pipe and I am thinking that i will take it on my bike rides and hikes next year. A pan pipe of course is not a rhythm instrument but rather a wind instrument. 

Interesting idea. Beat a drum out there then bring them in closer with the pan pipe. The drum sound carries a long ways in valleys; especially the base drums. Kind of like infrasound. If they are withing 5 miles, they will hear the drum from a ridge top. Now, do you really want to draw them in close? Some troops might be more civil than others. 

They may enjoy human rhythms, but they possibly use rhythms not to gain attention but as a short warning.  

now bye.........................got to go out..............

Hello All,

There was a group on safari one time that were very concerned for the first couple of nights because of the jungle drums. Their guide told them that the drums were a good thing. Then one night the incessant sound of drums stopped. They asked the guide what that meant and were told that it was a very bad sign indeed. When asked why the guide replied, "Bass solo".

BFF Patron

When alone i have consistently heard one knock. When with my Dad i heard two. As a girl scout on hike I used to hear three. There is no way to know for sure without more experiences - but it fits with the proto-language hypothesis. This was also used during paleolithic times. When a culture is hunter-gatherer based it does not need more than the concept of one, two, and many.

Maybe any data analysis of knocking needs to include the gender of the human with the encounter. Female researchers have quite different experiences if you can get them to tell them.

One does run into an occasional knock of natural origin. If I hear one that repeats I spend the time to search it out, just to see what might be the cause. It is usually one tree trying to come down, hitting another as the wind picks up. Any situation of an isolated single knock that is not repeated is as Donald Rumsfeldt used to say "not knowable". You can never find the source unless it repeats as it could just be a dry branch falling off a tree. Double knocks, or answering knocks are all unlikely to be of natural origin. They have to have been generated by a human or something capable of swinging a branch. From what I see on the media or youtube videos we should all be familiar with the sound of a hickory axe handle as that seems to be the tool of choice for those that do knocking. To be perfectly clear that statement in no way implies that I think all knocks are of human origin. Randy

NFer, that was the wrong quote from you, you sort of answered it in a previous post anyway- You talked about "slamming car doors and wood chopping" and getting a response, then my reply may make more sense.

Did you feel they knew you were there when they did the knocks after you made the noises?

Are these the same squatch? Could they be saying 'hi'? like they know you are there, or ...way out there, could they be just responding to the knocks that they thought were knocks?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did get the (exact) answer I was looking for, just need a few more confirms.

Now we are talking about rythm beating squatches. That would draw attention to them. Not buying that at this point.

There is now several reports of a person seeing a sasquatch knock on a tree, I personally have heard power knocks and more common mid volume knocks up close { within 50 yards }.

Are you able to point me in the direction of any of these please?

That is a great connection and funny but realistic. We humans make our communications really complicated so why can't BF have some sound code?

Nathan Samuel Morse helped invent the telegraph. Morse Code was transmitted by the telegraph over a single wire. A huge step in Homo sapien communications. It was just fading out when I was a kid!......................no...just kidding.

It happened by 1872.

bye............going out for awhile and will check back later.........hope no one ruins the party?

Now that I have thought about it I remember that bit from school LOL, off the top of my head I thought it was reference to the name of some body here on the forums.

Interesting idea. Beat a drum out there then bring them in closer with the pan pipe. The drum sound carries a long ways in valleys; especially the base drums. Kind of like infrasound. If they are withing 5 miles, they will hear the drum from a ridge top. Now, do you really want to draw them in close? Some troops might be more civil than others. 

They may enjoy human rhythms, but they possibly use rhythms not to gain attention but as a short warning.  

now bye.........................got to go out..............

This kind of strange, it is almost like you took my play book and read it ! LOL    From May to September { research season } I had been using different methods to draw in the family group living in the research site I call ,, Area D ,,. 

One of the methods { and the most effective in my opinion so far } was banging on a large metal wash tub sometimes with rhythm and sometimes without, then 10 to 15 minutes after we would follow up with talking and playing around with a guitar string pitch tuner { like a multi pitched kazoo } by our campfire. 

This  by far has been the most effective technique we have implemented, I do not want to go into this to much at this time because I have to finish going over the audio and condense the environmental and activity information into a post for public display. 

I hate to keep saying this but there is much to come as this is finished.

Are you able to point me in the direction of any of these please?

Here is one that I know of.   http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=37275

Wag, there is no way of knowing exactly but I get the feeling by how close the sounds where on some of the events I would guess they knew I was there before hand. { ranging from 50 to several hundred yards }

Are these instances from the same Sasquatches ?  I believe so, I am certain that I am dealing with a family group of at least 3 individuals. This thought is based on the repeated appearance of 9 inch tracks around the camp and on the old quad track from early May to late June of this year { possible juvenile}, also the close and clear sighting of a female about 6 foot tall { possible young adult female } by a hunter and the several sightings of a large sasquatch crossing the roads nearby { possible 7 to 7 and 1/2 foot male }.  

I believe the juvenile is the one doing the knocking and loud gibberish ramblings near the camp, this is based on the 9 inch tracks and impressions near camp and the entire May 7th trackway about a mile away from the camp. No solid signs of the adults has been found, just a few large vague impressions and few strange loud sounds that may or may not be at some point relevant.

Do I think they are saying ,, Hi ,, at times ?  Yes , I do think so or at the least have a sort of disregard for our hearing them or him. One recording I collected in May of the gibberish seems to be a question or something directed at us { I should add that this is just speculation on my part at this point }.

Edited by NathanFooter

Are you folks telling me a knock or two has profound meaning to the sasquatch? Yeesh.

Of course, if they have telepathy, then audible sound knocks aren't necessary, are they?