Bigfoot And Frogs

Guest BFSleuth

I guess if you should be starving, food of any sort will work.

Poor things.. :(

Protein is protein. Having netted and sauteed grasshoppers in olive oil as an experiment, I can speak with a small modicum of experience. They're not bad.

Haven't sampled lizards, but have enjoyed 'gator and rattlesnake.

Edit: Oh, and frog legs are considered a delicacy by many. Have gigged and fished for good sized bullfrogs, to enjoy their hind quarters. Good stuff, Maynard.

Edited by Incorrigible1

Another reason to associate BF with, umm, boggy creeks, especially down south. Besides covering tracks, and the obvious (water), streams are entirely rich in food for an opportunistic omnivore...small fish, snakes, frogs, crawfish, salamanders, various insects...all relatively self-contained and easy to catch. Heckuva bonanza. And I think they could be used indefinitely without being exhausted for most of the year, just by moving up and down riparian/creek systems. If I were in a survival situation, I know I would stay close to a stream or pond and eat everything it would/could offer. Crunchy frog, anyone? Frog giggin' giggity goodness...Do you dig 'em? I would put money that BF use these kinds of food sources far more often than taking down deer (if they in fact do take down deer).

SSR Team

BF's diet to most other humans will sicken them because the human refuses to get to the level of survival of the BF... Eating everything raw, at times whole and alive will put off the typical city dweller and those with weaker constitutions, but hey survival is in itself heartless and at time cruel... BF probably eats insects, rodents whole, frogs, crayfish, fish, coons, rabbits, and everything else up to and including say elk, deer, moose, caribou etc... Also what happens is they eat garbage, guts, road kill, afterbirth and still born creatures in the fawn/calving season...

We must understand the food to BF is measured in nutrients and not how pretty it looks on a beautifully set table... To understand the species is to get to its level, observe and understand in a way that has to set aside all of your human traits...

Don't be so sure Mr Risky, 8 Years in Thailand would make you think otherwise..;)

Frogs would be a big part of their Diet of course, like many other things & Risky's right, what would be out of bounds for many of us would be very much in bounds for them..

Little story, when it rains here where i live at night you get DOZENS of people out on the Road with lights on their heads hunting Frogs, Toads & anything that they can basically get their hands on..

No Dunkin Donuts here people.

Yes, I watch those cooking shows with Zimmerman. I was amazed at what some asian countries consider edible. But if I was starving, anything is fair game. Here is some octopus salad I ate one time as an example, not everyone one would appreciate it, but presentation is everything.

post-2457-080266800 1321534803_thumb.jpg

SSR Team

Just to give you an idea which i know for a fact is on the Menu in Thailand that i've seen with my own eyes..

Snakes obviously, Frogs, Bats, Armadillo kind of things called Pongollon's, Dogs obviously, Owls, Slow Loris, Red Ants, Red Ants Eggs, Stick Insects, Scorpions, big Bugs like Locusts, huge Maggot looking things which do burst in your mouth, Squirrels', Chickens feet the actual tendons & nails, Ducks tongues, Cow's tongues & one of the main native Dishes which is called Som Tum which has rotten Crab in it, & when i mean rotten i mean days & days old so you can imagine the smell.

Guest wudewasa

Bothe gray tree and pickerel frogs have toxic skin secretions. Getting these chemicals in the eyes, mucous membranes and open wounds is not enjoyable, trust me!

Guest TooRisky

Bothe gray tree and pickerel frogs have toxic skin secretions. Getting these chemicals in the eyes, mucous membranes and open wounds is not enjoyable, trust me!

I think it would be safe to say that after the numerous generations of BF that they have figured out what and what not to eat... Point in fact would be the Native Americans and how they not only knew what and what not to eat but also the medicinal properties of the plants, trees, and maybe the critters also...

There were 5" grasshoppers as thick as your index finger in Houston when I lived there years ago. So far as cicadas it must not take starvation to want them because my dog was well fed yet he loved to catch and eat them. So much in fact that he stripped the tree branches bare from doing so.

Just to give you an idea which i know for a fact is on the Menu in Thailand that i've seen with my own eyes..

Snakes obviously, Frogs, Bats, Armadillo kind of things called Pongollon's, Dogs obviously, Owls, Slow Loris, Red Ants, Red Ants Eggs, Stick Insects, Scorpions, big Bugs like Locusts, huge Maggot looking things which do burst in your mouth, Squirrels', Chickens feet the actual tendons & nails, Ducks tongues, Cow's tongues & one of the main native Dishes which is called Som Tum which has rotten Crab in it, & when i mean rotten i mean days & days old so you can imagine the smell.

But have you ever seen these on the menu in Thailand?

BFF Patron

Yummmm...roasted pig rats. Sounds like the intelligent ones get away to become Rock Ape food, lol. :)

SSR Team

But have you ever seen these on the menu in Thailand?

Sorry yeah, i do remember years back a Guy who used to work for me bringing some back after a trip home..

He offered me some, but i declined !!!!!!!

I'll jog the memory tomorrow to see if i can remember any more little delights form over the years.. :D

Actually if you look at the Picture on that link titled " Eat the Rats " you will see that that isn't a Rat but a slippery Serpent if my eyes are not deceiving me.. ;)

Guest TooRisky

Sorry yeah, i do remember years back a Guy who used to work for me bringing some back after a trip home..

He offered me some, but i declined !!!!!!!

I'll jog the memory tomorrow to see if i can remember any more little delights form over the years.. :D

Actually if you look at the Picture on that link titled " Eat the Rats " you will see that that isn't a Rat but a slippery Serpent if my eyes are not deceiving me.. ;)

Wes, if I get lucky enough to visit you in Thailand as you have visited me in WA., I would surely visit as a vegetarian... LOL

Hope all is well my friend... Heading out Friday for a couple nights looking into the river bottoms... Gonna be cold cold with a winter front coming in, Jeez the knees are already aching at the thought...

Guest uprightchimp

well octopus salad isnt too bad, they eat it in Spain & Italy & as far as frog legs go, well they arnt too bad when you deep fry 'em (not all that much meat on 'em but not too bad either!) :rolleyes: