Bigfoot And Frogs

Guest BFSleuth

Well toads are frogs so it seems that not all frogs are slimy. Maybe that is high school level biology.

A distinction between frogs and toads, though common in popular culture, is not made in taxonomy, where toads are spread across families Bufonidae, Bombinatoridae, Discoglossidae, Pelobatidae, Rhinophrynidae, Scaphiopodidae, and Microhylidae.

Now there's an internet biologist if I've ever seen one.

Now there's an internet biologist if I've ever seen one.

Better than an incorrect biologist. I didn't claim to be an expert who was going to teach people a thing or two about frogs, then proceed to offer nothing but condescension. There is a way to talk to people to have discussions move along positively.

On a local level, it's really disturbing to observe the almost complete disappearance of frogs from our local habitat.

Sadly, it's not just on the local level, but rather globally. Amphibians should serve as mankind's "canary in the mineshaft." Meanwhile, global population now exceeds seven billion.

Guest wudewasa

And let me say. if mister Swamp ape is slow to realize that then he might find MR Python just put him in his food chain.

Actually, everglades pythons are high in mercury... http://www.livescien...thons-menu.html

Also, the "buttons" on the the bullfrogs's head are tympanic membranes, or eardrums.

Those heat sensing pits on your carpet python- go ahead and push those too...

Edited by wudewasa

Guest RedRatSnake

Those heat sensing pits on your carpet python- go ahead and push those too...

I blocked those with some JB Weld some time ago, you should see him go nuts trying to find the rat at feeding time. :)

You must not know much about frogs, maybe I can educate you a little. They get oxygen throuh their skin when it's moist. They get slimy at times because they secrete mucus that helps keep it moist. Maybe you're thinking about toads they have tougher skin and can live farther from water.

Nope, I'm thinking of the little green tree frogs that get on my french door windows. I never noticed any slime when I pull them off to get them out of harms way before I shut the door. Perhaps they weren't secreting at the time I picked them up since you seem pretty certain about their mucous producing abilities, being such an expert on wildlife that you are. :)

Better than an incorrect biologist. I didn't claim to be an expert who was going to teach people a thing or two about frogs, then proceed to offer nothing but condescension. There is a way to talk to people to have discussions move along positively.

I'm glad I'm not incorrect either, I don't remember calling myself the resident frog expert and it wouldn't matter if I were because nobody seems to listen to what I do know about frogs. They're not as slimy as a snail but they're not as dry as a snake it depends on how desperately you want to twist my wording.

Nope, I'm thinking of the little green tree frogs that get on my french door windows. I never noticed any slime when I pull them off to get them out of harms way before I shut the door. Perhaps they weren't secreting at the time I picked them up since you seem pretty certain about their mucous producing abilities, being such an expert on wildlife that you are. :)

See now you have taught yourself, if they were dry they wouldn't stick to your windows.

I always thought it was about the suction on the tree frog's toe pads. I guess the lubricant excreted from the glands between the toes would make it slide better.

Edited by Art1972
insert correct material

Interesting discussion. I'll only add that catching a frog by hand is not easy. They are very watchful for anything that might approach them, and will jump into the water at the slightest provocation. If you do get close enough to make a grab, they are very slippery and difficult to hold on to. Humans who harvest frogs for food use nets, gigs, or rifles to make the catch. The time/effort versus reward ratio seems high for a bigfoot, unless they have a technique we're unaware of. Toads, on the other hand, are easy pickins', but are probably only a snack of opportunity.

Spring Peepers are small frogs usually not more than 1-1/2" long. During the mating season they congregate in pools by the hundreds. With the females there, usually late at night, they can be easily gathered by hand. They pay little attention to anything except their mating activities. By daybreak they have hid from view.

You are mostly right about the large Bullfrogs, but many of the old time outdoorsmen in the South could call and catch them by hand while in a boat or wading at night. (I have not seen that done by people lately, but I'll bet there are many people in the deep South that still do it. It's not a good way to get a "mess" of frogs; it takes more time than headlighting and gigging them. It's usually just a "show-off" thing.)

And I thought it was all in the suction, I suppose lubricant would slide better.

Try a dry suction cup versus one you lick you'll be suprised in the sticking performance difference.

Guest TooRisky

Well maybe it is time to close this, thin skins and hurt feelings are starting to abound... On the bright note the question has been logically answered in that yes it is a very high probability of BF enjoying the bounty of frogs across this continent...

Good topic and well thought out discussion, mostly...

My feelings aren't hurt, are your's Patty? I'm just messing with her to see which list I end up on.

Not me, I should of used the word "clammy" instead and we wouldn't have taken the topic so far off coarse. To me they'll always be too slimy to lick or eat even when their probably deep fried and crispy.

Not me, I should of used the word "clammy" instead and we wouldn't have taken the topic so far off coarse. To me they'll always be too slimy to lick or eat even when their probably deep fried and crispy.

No problem. They do have a funky off taste even when fried, not exactly like chicken.