Why Are There So Many Sightings In The Usa

yowiie

Being an outsider from Australia on a BF forum, it has always got me wondering wht there are so many sightings in the USA as opposed to other countries and continents on the planet.

Is it

- misidentification on a major scale

- Story telling

- there are BF behind every tree

I'm not upto date on the amount of encounters there are actually documented in the US, but it certainly out ways the mere 300 documented encounters here in Oz, since we were colonised.

I suspect that media has something to do with it. Bigfoot is very well known to americans. As a result when we see a bigfoot we know what to call it and are increasingly more likely to report it online. Also because it is a popular subject it is the first thing we think of when we see something dark and fuzzy in the woods.

I've misidentified many things I've seen. A blackbear I thought was a new breed of dog (it was just a cub of maybe sixty pounds). A pine martin I thought was a teddy bear that someone left in a tree. just to name a couple. I'm not saying everyone has misidentified bigfoot but even if bigfoot is real I do believe many have misidentified bears and hunters for the big guy.

Why would anyone assume these things are found 'everywhere' around the world?

Ummmm....because reports come in from all over the world?

Guest BFSleuth

Why would anyone assume these things are found 'everywhere' around the world?

You can read Ivan Sanderson's book, Abominable Snowman: Legend Come to Life, online for free here:

http://www.archive.org/stream/AbominableSnowmenLegendComeToLife/abominable_snowmen#page/n0/mode/2up

Published in 1961 this book is a very interesting read. Note that he has reports of wild hominids or unknown great apes on every continent other than Antarctica. This is a good background source book for anyone interested in the phenomena.

You can read Ivan Sanderson's book, Abominable Snowman: Legend Come to Life, . . .

Published in 1961 this book is a very interesting read.

Interesting that 1961 is the year Marlin Perkins and Sir Edmund Hillary returned from their well-funded, several-month expedition to the Himalayas to find evidence of the yeti. They found ablated fox tracks, serow hide "scalps", and blue bear skins that the locals swore up and down were all yeti-made. So the prosaic explanations for the mythology were clear as day 50 years ago to anyone actually interested in investigating the claims.

You can scratch Ireland off the list.

Duh, little people = Homo floresiensis eire

Guest StankApe

Us Americans are a cheerful lot and we love stories. There are also 350 million of us spread over a fairly large country that still houses a large amount of wilderness, I think it would be more strange if we DIDN'T have the most reports actually.

Guest RedRatSnake

Duh, little people = Homo floresiensis eire

Those little people ain't Bigfoot, Heck ! i bet the best they could do if ya cornered one is kick ya in the shin and scream when you picked it up and threw it like a soccer ball ~

Tim :)

Heck ! i bet the best they could do if ya cornered one is kick ya in the shin and scream when you picked it up and threw it like a soccer ball ~

Oh, that would be bad! Those Little People have POWERS, too. They'd get you good for that. :unsure:

Ummmm....because reports come in from all over the world?

France? Spain? Egypt? Iran? Iraq? Sudan? ...

Should I really go thru them all?

That's an overly stereo-typical type response with no standing to it.