Why Are There So Many Sightings In The Usa

yowiie

You can read Ivan Sanderson's book, Abominable Snowman: Legend Come to Life, online for free here:

http://www.archive.org/stream/AbominableSnowmenLegendComeToLife/abominable_snowmen#page/n0/mode/2up

Published in 1961 this book is a very interesting read. Note that he has reports of wild hominids or unknown great apes on every continent other than Antarctica. This is a good background source book for anyone interested in the phenomena.

Sanderson's (1961) Abominable Snowman: Legend Come to Life contains no reports of wild hominids or unknown great apes from Australia. The Bigfoot craze was imported here and taken up by New Agers in the early-to-mid-70's, died off somewhat in the mid-80's to mid-90's, then came roaring back via the internet...

Being an outsider from Australia on a BF forum, it has always got me wondering wht there are so many sightings in the USA as opposed to other countries and continents on the planet.

Is it

- misidentification on a major scale

- Story telling

- there are BF behind every tree

I'm not upto date on the amount of encounters there are actually documented in the US, but it certainly out ways the mere 300 documented encounters here in Oz, since we were colonised.

Yowie

I am not sure what resources there are in Australia,but in the US there is a number of resources for this creatures to survive.If I am hearing what they are saying about these creatures DNA and them being primtive man and maybe animal mixed in with them .Well then they must have Migrated on thsis contenant a long time ago and never left.They must of learned that this contenant was bountiful and provided evrything for thier needs.Now whether knowledge is passed down to thier young i have no idea but I do have an opionion.

That is that they must have passed this knowkedge one way or another in order for them to have survived so long undetected.There is no way that we could have gone this long with out a body. :) If there are so many sightings in the US it must be that there is a thriving population.This thriving population has learned to live with modern man.Through the years it has learned by watching our movements and realized that we are not a friendly or even a perfect people towards them.That they have figured out that they are different from us and that we will not treat them as a people or tribe. :) Now this is just my opionion and a hypothetical guess. -_-

That may well be, but with the number of sightings/ encounters you would expect more evidence

I answered your question and you then moved the goalpost. Perhaps you should refine the question in your opening post to address what you want to know.

Guest RedRatSnake

So many sightings in US? Because we want to see something.

You wouldn't believe the number of Sea Monsters i have seen over the years in Boston Harbor, Sometimes when you go out looking for just one thing long enough, your brain finds it one way or another.

Tim ~ :)

The opening post asked why the USA has the majority of bigfoot sightings. I posted a reply citing 5 LOGICAL reasons for this. If the skeptic pile on crew could take a breather and either refute those items logically and convincingly, or affirm the factors that combine to make the USA the hotbed for bigfoot sightings I would be pleased. To traipse off into some skeptic refuge of sea serpents and red herrings is intellectual dishonesty of the highest order. The Aussie question is still hanging out there...............why is the uSA the hotbed of bigfoot sightings?

You skeptics cannot claim the high road while driving into the ditch, step up and say something of merit.

edited for punctuation.........in case my fifth grade teacher is reading this!

Edited by John T

SSR Team

You wouldn't believe the number of Sea Monsters i have seen over the years in Boston Harbor, Sometimes when you go out looking for just one thing long enough, your brain finds it one way or another.

Tim ~ :)

What about when you have little or no idea of something, have no interest in it whatsoever & have never looked for it before yet see see something for long enough that makes it 100% unmistakable ??

Honest question.

Admin

John T, let me try. I won't address each of your five points because I think they are valid in the sense that there are more people out there with the opportunity to have a sighting.

But that can be explained by realizing the population has been preconditioned to attribute something they experienced in the wild and cannot explain, to BF.

Notice the plot below of all BF sightings in the US, the vast majority occur after the PGF came out and the media blitz that followed; and continues to this day.

That suggests that when people encounter something they cannot explain, they chuck it up to BF. I say it's the media (TV, magazines, etc). Whereas the media in other countries don't put out nearly as much BF hype as ours does.

Same goes with UFOs, I don't have a plot, but I bet that after the Rosewell incident and the media hype that followed, the UFO sightings skyrocketed.

post-338-057599800 1323412100_thumb.jpg

Edited by gigantor

SSR Team

John T, let me try. I won't address each of your five points because I think they are valid in the sense that there are more people out there with the opportunity to have a sighting.

But that can be explained by realizing the population has been preconditioned to attribute something they experienced in the wild and cannot explain, to BF.

Notice the plot below of all BF sightings in the US, the vast majority occur after the PGF came out and the media blitz that followed; and continues to this day.

That suggests that when people encounter something they cannot explain, they chuck it up to BF. I say it's the media (TV, magazines, etc). Whereas the media in other countries don't put out nearly as much BF hype as ours does.

Same goes with UFOs, I don't have a plot, but I bet that after the Rosewell incident and the media hype that followed, the UFO sightings skyrocketed.

post-338-057599800 1323412100_thumb.jpg

You're not wrong G but where, before the PGF, were the places to report s BF Sighting ??

The Internet = Of course not

The Police = No way

Technology allows us to communicate with others as we do today..

I would have little or no chance of communicating with you before PGF ( heck even 20 years ago ) so how could one get his/her BF report " listed " somewhere that would be still be logged today ??

& for that answer we must look to Tirademan.

I wonder what difference his records would make to your chart, if you haven't added them already ??

Admin

Bobby, there was no internet in the 70's or 80's, so that explanation is not satisfactory because the jump in reports happens in 1967/68... :D

So, there was someway to report sightings back then, even without the internet.

btw, I'm NOT saying that every BF report is false, just the vast majority. Some MAY be legit, that's why I'm here.

Edited by gigantor

SSR Team

Bobby, there was no internet in the 70's or 80's, so that explanation is not satisfactory because the jump in reports happens in 1968... :D

So, there was someway to report sightings back then, even without the internet.

Come on G you know better than that..

There was no Internet in the 70's or 80's but there are Reports = The Reports were reported and/or logged in the age of the Internet, for example http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1724 - http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=28788 and i bet if you looked at all 70's & 80's reports, they'd of course be logged or relayed in the 90's or 00's because that's the only way they could be

Why don't we have that many from before the decades prior to the PGF ??

How about because that was 60, 70, 80 years ago and people die ??

Your chart is based on Internet based reports which you need to be able to create your chart, there would be a tiny % of reports that make up your chart that were not logged or relayed before the age of the Internet so there may have been ways to report them in those years, but i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have found anywhere near the % like you have from the Internet period.

Admin

That's my point, thanks. The vast majority of reports happen after PGF, even if they're reported after the fact because they attribute their experience to BF, after being exposed to the media blitz.

"oh, yeah, I remember seeing something back 20 years ago, I was hunting and...."

Edited by gigantor

Well, I'll certainly agree the article uses the phrase "many countries", and then goes on to only list 3. <?>

This hardly constitutes "all over the world".

There are accounts of "wild men", "hairy men", etc from a large number of countries and regions, including the US, Canada, Russia, Central/South America, various Asian countries, Australia, etc. Western Europe seems a bit sparse on contemporary accounts, but historical accounts and depictions indicate that BF likely existed there in the past as recently as the Middle Ages.

Speaking of: I saw a map on bigfoot evidence today that showed the reported sightings. West coast, Canada, Appalachia, etc. We all know where they are reported most. But there were none in Mexico? Texas all the way down to the river, but none in Mexico. I don't know if it was omitted in the map, or I there hasn't been a sighting there.

I kinda assumed latitude and mountainous terrain was where people find Bigfoot.

Maybe they don't like to live close to Chupacabras.

There actually have been Mexican reports:

http://bigfootwatchnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/mayhem-in-mexico-as-bigfoot-bungles-usa.html

http://www.chacha.com/question/how-many-bigfoot-sightings-in-mexico

http://cryptozoo-oscity.blogspot.com/2009/09/tales-of-bigfoot-in-andes-and-mexico.html

SSR Team

How about because that was 60, 70, 80 years ago and people die ??

Your chart is based on Internet based reports which you need to be able to create your chart, there would be a tiny % of reports that make up your chart that were not logged or relayed before the age of the Internet so there may have been ways to report them in those years, but i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have found anywhere near the % like you have from the Internet period.

That's my point, thanks.

I didn't make your point at all so don't be thanking me, for some reason you quoted a question that i asked as i was able to answer it fully after asking it, but you didn't quote the answer to it..

Why would you do that and then pretend i " made you point " ?? :unsure:

Edited by BobbyO

I feel that many of these responses are valid. Another thought I had on the subject is the population density of the United States and the movement/relocation of the residents over a period of time. As the more populated areas become more expensive, the residents move away from these areas to a more rural setting. Of course, this involves invading (for lack of a better term) previously undeveloped environments; Perhaps environments inhabited by bigfoot? This would provide more opportunities for the new inhabitants to get a peek at the old ones, which may lead to more reported sightings.

Please note the image below:

Capturepopulationdensityofusa.png

Some the most populated states still have counties where the density is less than 5 people per square mile.

Just putting it out there to accompany the other possibilities mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC