Why Are There So Many Sightings In The Usa

yowiie

Guest RedRatSnake

What about when you have little or no idea of something, have no interest in it whatsoever & have never looked for it before yet see see something for long enough that makes it 100% unmistakable ??

Honest question.

I would think it depends on the situation, if your calm and everything around is peaceful you might see something like a deer, if your scared and everything around is noisy or it's dark, you might see something scary, i don't think that happens all the time but it happens.

Tim ~ :)

I'd bet that graph could be nearly duplicated by inserting data for known but rare animals. Reports are easier to file today, even if the event happened years ago. Who besides John Green was collecting data in the 1960's?

The data the graph was drawn from may be skewed, thereby invalidating your hypothesis. We have no new reports coming in from the 1800's, but can you state how many sightings happened then?

post-338-057599800 1323412100_thumb.jpg

I think that many "sightings" are probably misidentifications, wishful thinking, hoaxes or hysteria (Not all mind you....but probably many).

That being said:

Maybe prior to the PG film being televised (i.e - mass media / cultural exposure to Sasquatch), people had no idea what they might have been looking at.

A hairy man? A deformed bear? A Gorilla on the loose? A man in a fur coat?

Maybe, to some degree, once mass media provided the public with a potential category to put these sighting in, the sightings became more prevalent for no other reason than people finally could somewhat categorize or explain what they heck they were seeing?

post-338-057599800 1323412100_thumb.jpg

I think that many "sightings" are probably misidentifications, wishful thinking, hoaxes or hysteria (Not all mind you....but probably many).

That being said:

Maybe prior to the PG film being televised (i.e - mass media / cultural exposure to Sasquatch), people had no idea what they might have been looking at.

A hairy man? A deformed bear? A Gorilla on the loose? A man in a fur coat?

Maybe, to some degree, once mass media provided the public with a potential category to put these sighting in, the sightings became more prevalent for no other reason than people finally could somewhat categorize or explain what they heck they were seeing?

Hmmmmmm.............let's see if any of this makes sense:

So this was your challenge to the skeptics that has you so disappointed that we didn't rise to the bait? Personally, I didn't see anything to challenge. In North America we have a large amount of naturalistic landscapes capable of supporting something like a bigfoot, we've got extensive road networks, a largely mobile and technologically advanced citizenship, etc. If there was such a thing as bigfoots you're right - those five things you listed would contribute to a disproportionately high number of reports coming from the USA.

We've also got a long history of tall tales from the frontier and at least 50 years of "bigfoot" being a popular meme in the mainstream media. Here's a great example: As a middle-aged suburban American, I looked forward each December of my youth to watching "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" in the weeks before Christmas. I can't think of a year that I missed it before heading off to college. Every year, tens of millions of kids were tuning in and seeing Santa, the elves, Rudolph and the other reindeer, and, of course, "the Bumble Snowmonster of the North!" "Bigfoot" and similar creatures are remarkably pervasive in American culture. Bugs Bunny hung out with an abominable snowman. The Six-Million Dollar Man battled bigfoot. Disney is all over bigfoot, with recent examples including The Goofy Movie, Phineas and Ferb, and Sonny With a Chance. The popular Nickelodeon show iCarly did a bigfoot episode with a researcher plugging his awesome new book "Bigfoot: True or Real?"

None of that proves bigfoot is or isn't real, but it does demonstrate the idea of bigfoot is hard to escape in American culture.

SSR Team

Here's a great example: As a middle-aged suburban American, I looked forward each December of my youth to watching "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" in the weeks before Christmas. I can't think of a year that I missed it before heading off to college.

So let me get this straight, you looked forward to each December and Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer & didn't miss a Year, including when you were 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 17 years old ??

That explains a lot to me and is also Hall of Fame Post material, tell me i'm wrong.. :D

You've just made my weekend.. :D

Edited by BobbyO

You've just made my weekend.. :D

My pleasure. I now own a copy on DVD and still watch it once a year. (No commercials and I get to skip Clarice's song.)

So . . . defective sense of humor gene or just not a fan of animated puppets?

More sightings reported here due to vastly larger networking and communication (internet) as well as the more visibility on tv allowing more people finding a venue to share their experiences.

Wow what a discussion.

Yowie I think the best answer was discussed by John Green in his book "Apes Among Us" He stated you need at least 20 inches of rain a year to support the BF needs.

If you have a 800 to 1000 pound horse they need about 20 to 30 gallons of water a day to survive. BF needs that too and the river bottoms and swamps provide great cover and food.

My impression of Australia is it is a very dry continent

. . . John Green in his book "Apes Among Us" He stated you need at least 20 inches of rain a year to support the BF needs.

That sounds cool, but 20" is also about the minimum to support forests over grasslands. So all Green is really stating is that "bigfoots live in forests". In fact, that's about the broadest statement one could make about a forest animal because it amounts to "anywhere trees are the dominant vegetation - that's bigfoot habitat."

If you have a 800 to 1000 pound horse they need about 20 to 30 gallons of water a day to survive.

What are you doing to your horses, BFerPhil? Ours did just fine on 5-6 gallons/day. I agree though - if bigfoots are real, then they are largely riparian.

My impression of Australia is it is a very dry continent

Correct. With the exception of Antarctica, it's the driest. Australia has the highest proportion of desert to non-desert.

That sounds cool, but 20" is also about the minimum to support forests over grasslands. So all Green is really stating is that "bigfoots live in forests". In fact, that's about the broadest statement one could make about a forest animal because it amounts to "anywhere trees are the dominant vegetation - that's bigfoot habitat."

What are you doing to your horses, BFerPhil? Ours did just fine on 5-6 gallons/day. I agree though - if bigfoots are real, then they are largely riparian.

Correct. With the exception of Antarctica, it's the driest. Australia has the highest proportion of desert to non-desert.

Yes thats correct, but the majority of sightings are on the eastern fall eastern side of the great dividing range, which has its fair share of rainfall. To much at times.

Yes thats correct, but the majority of sightings are on the eastern fall eastern side of the great dividing range, which has its fair share of rainfall. To much at times.

Sure, I didn't mean to imply that there are no yowies because it's too dry for them in Australia.

Sure, I didn't mean to imply that there are no yowies because it's too dry for them in Australia.

Thats fine I didn't take your comment that way, I just thought I'd enlighten the members on our east coast.

Would anyone on the forum care to estimate the number of reported sightings in the USA since PGF

Edited by yowiie

I think it's probably due to the fact Oz barely has more people than New York city itself whislt being the size of Europe. Our wide brown land is still mainly just people living on the coast line and from what I have noticed we don't really have that much of a hunting culture, more so hikers and camper/fishermen.

Another interesting point could be that in the Aboriginal stories of the Yowie they didnt really hold much respect for them and it was usually a kill on sight kind of affair, and if I remember correctly there have been reports from their elder's that they waged a "war" against the Yowie? If you look at how efficiently all the megafauna was wiped out just ~10,000 years ago, it not unreasonable to think they now how a very ingrained distrust of any humans.