Thoughts As To Why Bigfoot Isn't Caught On Game Cams

Spader

Guest BFSleuth

... that may be the simple part. The hard part is figuring out how they know where the game cams are and whether or not they have figured out their purpose.

BFF Patron

The intention behind the device being put in place is clearly surreptitious, and it's not like humans have never placed traps and snares in the woods. I think the intention behind these devices is transparent to any intelligent observer -- that humans are trying to 'trick' a creature somehow and the device is in some way a 'trap' (and it is, even if it is a seemingly harmless one). This is obvious even if the exact purpose of the device is not. Otherwise why would coyotes avoid them. And naturally avoiding a potential trap device is much different than the other circumstances under which a sighting might occur.

Point well taken in that some Sasquatch have been known to bust snares (even Chimps by observational learning have done so) and traps, but then again, some haven't and have fallen into a "situation". Serendipitous camouflage or being in the wrong place at the wrong time, with subtle changes not perceived due to scent cover or whatever other reason could put a Sasquatch into a predicament. I think they are very wary, very intelligent and very perceptive, but they DO make the occasional mistake. I would think there are some "lucky" gamecam captures out there (as there are apparently videos, it would only make sense).

Edited by bipedalist

Guest thermalman

Wow, way back in December of 2010 when I posted this topic I had no idea it would produce so much dialogue. Thanks everybody! About a month or so ago on Science Friday on NPR I was listening to a scientist who studied a small shrimp that had over 20 cones in its visual system,(to our four) alowing it to see colors we cant. Could it be possible for an animal to see in the infrared spectrum? If Bigfoot had this ability the game cams would be like setting off a floodlight in the forest. I tried searching the thread so if its been brought up already a thousand pardons.

Do you mean Bigfoot is a type of ethereal creature? Phantom like? No substance or physical matter to photograph? Im just curious because I believe anything is possible.

You know Spader,.....I too believe anything is possible. It's quite reasonable to think that there are still some undiscovered creatures who have the infrared capabilities like the present snake has. There are new species discovered daily, some with abilities we have yet to know of.

A phantom bigfoot able to avoid gamecams? so like it can fly around, say a flying phantom. Does anybody know of bigfoot sightings where the bigfoot is in the air and flying around?

This is one of my biggest issues with the existence of bigfoot. There are probably over well 100 000 game cams out there in North America and yet not a single good photo. I simply find it difficult to believe that an animal with no understanding of such advanced technology can avoid it so easily. It's an animal people! It doesn't know what a camera is.

Now ask this: why is it when you oint a thremo camera at them they tend to hide? They have no idea what the darn thing is , since they are just a animal but yet thier reaction is to avoid. They know that these systems are harmless but thier reaction is to avoid them. Why? What is it about them that they believe they have to hide since these things have never harmed them. I do not get this. there is no bullet coming at them and again to them a bullet would be in a form as a fire stick flying at them since it ould make no sence to them.They have no knowledge of what guns can do except for when they get hit by them when someone fires at them and that is that they hurt.

But cameras have never hurt them and still they avoid them.Why?

Guest thermalman

A phantom bigfoot able to avoid gamecams? so like it can fly around, say a flying phantom. Does anybody know of bigfoot sightings where the bigfoot is in the air and flying around?

Did you see one? Any pictures? LOL

This is one of my biggest issues with the existence of bigfoot. There are probably over well 100 000 game cams out there in North America and yet not a single good photo. I simply find it difficult to believe that an animal with no understanding of such advanced technology can avoid it so easily. It's an animal people! It doesn't know what a camera is.

Agreed.

Now ask this: why is it when you oint a thremo camera at them they tend to hide? They have no idea what the darn thing is , since they are just a animal but yet thier reaction is to avoid. They know that these systems are harmless but thier reaction is to avoid them. Why? What is it about them that they believe they have to hide since these things have never harmed them. I do not get this. there is no bullet coming at them and again to them a bullet would be in a form as a fire stick flying at them since it ould make no sence to them.They have no knowledge of what guns can do except for when they get hit by them when someone fires at them and that is that they hurt.

Very good question.

I think the simplest explanation is that there is no physical 'Bigfoot' to capture on a game cam.

Lol! Its fine to keep that idea for now... just be forwarned that if you ever have an encounter, it will go out the window in a heartbeat :)

I think its a mistaken idea to assume that don't know about guns. They are likely observing humans hunting and have done so for centuries. Cameras are something new, but that are a thing to be pointed at a target. They know about targets....

Guest thermalman

How many other species do we know of, that haven't been caught on trail cams?

Edited by thermalman

Not to derail the thread too much, Drew... but let's take salubrious's sighting report as an example. Would that classify as a construct of the human mind? Seems like a rather large and vivid construct.

A. it is at night on a mountain road, B. He saw the same exact thing twice. C. What he saw that night, might not be exactly the same as what was reported later.

A & B lead me to believe that this started with a sleep hallucination. Drivers often experience unusual hallucinations especially when tired. A branch blowing over the road looks like a giant bird, or a plastic bag looks like a child running into the road, the fact that it was duplicated a short while later, leads me to believe that hallucination was the start of this sighting. Perhaps there was a branch in the road and the wind was vibrating the leaves, or it was a hay-bale that the little twigs were vibrating, when these sleep hallucinations happen, your brain instantly converts what it sees, into something you can recognize. The second one was probably the same thing in the road, and the brain instantly popped the same image on to it.

C- This is where the witness fleshes out the details of the 'sighting', it is not malicious, he is trying to rationalize what his brain made him think he saw. Witness contacts a Bigfoot site, describes what happened, gets affirmations that others have seen this stuff.

Many people think having a sleep hallucination is a sign of mental illness, it is not, it is a sign of being tired, in some cases it is the sign of a sleep disorder. This fear leads people to explore other possible attempts at rationalization before accepting that they might have had a sleep hallucination.

Many truckers, hunters, late-night drivers will experience something like this at one point in their life. Most are benign, but some lead to accidents, when someone drives their car into a ditch, because they were asleep, police officers will tell you that many times the person will complain about something in the road, one story an officer told me of a woman in a ditch, was that she saw a huge truck tire in the road and swerved to avoid it, they searched the road and found nothing to confirm this story. I did a poll on BFF1 that asked how many people here had experienced a sleep hallucination, and it was 30-40% positive response.

Guest Cervelo

Been there done that!

Kept seeing a cop car way back behind me for miles late one night.

Finally stopped and waited for him....and waited....walked into the road nothing for miles!