Thoughts As To Why Bigfoot Isn't Caught On Game Cams

Spader

Guest Waynescod

Don't have time to read whole thread, but sounds like u guys are looking right passed the biggest reason- scent.

That's a good point, and who knows it might have a nose like a blood hound. Back in 2005 (Chemical Senses, vol 30, p 291) this study showed dogs may even be able to detect the subtle differences in odor from one footstep to the next as they follow a human's scent trail. The dog can imagine the future by picking up a scent of something coming towards them on the breeze.

Is this why we can't get close? Do they see us with their nose? That would explain how they can usually see us before we see them.

I can think of several reasons "hidden" game cameras are not working.

- Yeah, scent, as Waynescod said above. That game camera smells weird. Maybe like cigarette smoke, or hand soap, or that car air freshener. And plastic. Makes them suspicious.

- They saw you put it up, duh. It's not actually hidden therefore. And they can smell it, maybe. Makes them suspicious.

- They don't know what it might be exactly, but when humans intentionally leave a device behind in the forest, it is often some kind of trap. Like a steel trap with giant teeth that break your leg. If they leave purposely leave food, it is poisoned. Don't go near it.

- What is it? Maybe it goes click or whirrr or has a focus beam of some kind. Makes them suspicious. If you don't know if it is safe, don't go near it.

- It is pointed at them, kinda like a gun. If you walk around at a distance taking pictures with a camera, they assume it is safe. You are there, you are okay, they are okay, so it's fine. If you get in their grill, I imagine they are not so sure. Maybe it worries them.

From the way they hide, you can assume they have a fierce instinct for self-preservation. The game camera in the forest is inside the parameter of what might be a danger. Period.

Cameras are all over near our places of business and all kinda gadgets are around our homes. It occurred to me that maybe someone could try putting the game cameras on buildings and in cars and windows in areas with or near water and cover / sasquatch hahitat / dumpsters/ parking lots. The cameras might not arouse suspicion in such spots. And I wonder if perhaps it might improve the chance to catch them at their activities.

Guest parnassus

Don't you think the simplest and most likely reason is the same reason that 400 years after the Europeans arrived, there are no specimens of bigfoot, or its body parts or its DNA or its fossils? ie absence of bigfoots?

Edited by parnassus

No Parnassus,I don't, but by all means, carry on beating the same old tired rhythm on that dead horse of yours and we will continue to whip the fire out of ours.

• Upvote 1

I tried a search of this thread but saw nothing, so forgive me if this has been asked and answered:

Why the paltry results using game cameras when the thermal cameras have been so successful? I don't know any specific names, but it seems there is always someone claiming to see or film sasquatch type creatures with a thermal device. Are none of the game cams equipped with a thermal trigger?

Guest openureyes

The answer is this they are simply far more inteligent than we know. Maybe there is no one answer i think alot of us have some good ideas as to why they're seldom caught on game cams. I like the idea of putting them up higher maybe from a distance more like a surveillance camera also they are not all being placed in the best spots and you can cover the scent with deer urine or something strong but shouldnt we be wearing gloves and trying to make sure we dont leave tracks i'd bet they are better trackers than any human being you could find.

BFF Patron

http://digitalcommon...=icwdm_usdanwrc

Coyotes are wary of gamecams, why not Squatch?

Alphas tracked human activity within their territories and presumably learned the locations of cameras as they were being set up.

Hmmmmmm.............................

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

Of course, they collared many of these.

The point is that the alphas are more likely to be captured on gamecams outside their home territory and if they see you set up the camera, good luck.

No, read no, alphas were photograhically captured on their home territory, period.

The article was in no way posted up to suggest that coyotes are more wary than Sasquatch. blink.gif

Edited by bipedalist

Guest exnihilo

So coyotes have figured out to be suspicious of and avoid human activity, especially surreptitious human activity, whether or not they comprehend the exact details of what is intended -- but a great ape is not intelligent enough and too ignorant to boot to do the same. Because clearly in the natural world no potential hazards are avoided unless the nature of the hazard is amply demonstrated and thoroughly understood. Or the worried animal is at least provided with an operation manual or wiring diagram.

Or so the skeptics would have you believe.

Edited by exnihilo

If that is true then you would have to throw out all of the "yard" sightings. If they are wary enough to dodge what must be 1000's of game cameras then urban contact must be out of the question.

Martin

Edited by BFSleuth
Edited to delete quoting the previous post

I tried a search of this thread but saw nothing, so forgive me if this has been asked and answered:

Why the paltry results using game cameras when the thermal cameras have been so successful? I don't know any specific names, but it seems there is always someone claiming to see or film sasquatch type creatures with a thermal device. Are none of the game cams equipped with a thermal trigger?

Because humans don't believe anything unless they can see it. Thermal images aren't "seeing" it in the visual spectrum sense. It's simulated and since there are so few who can interpret thermal images, the general public interprets these images any way they want. There is no consensus on ANYTHING bigfoot because of this. Who adjudicates any of this stuff? IMO, that's the problem with any bigfoot evidence that is presented on the internet. Who decides its significance? No one at present.

Guest exnihilo

If that is true then you would have to throw out all of the "yard" sightings. If they are wary enough to dodge what must be 1000's of game cameras then urban contact must be out of the question.

Martin

The intention behind the device being put in place is clearly surreptitious, and it's not like humans have never placed traps and snares in the woods. I think the intention behind these devices is transparent to any intelligent observer -- that humans are trying to 'trick' a creature somehow and the device is in some way a 'trap' (and it is, even if it is a seemingly harmless one). This is obvious even if the exact purpose of the device is not. Otherwise why would coyotes avoid them. And naturally avoiding a potential trap device is much different than the other circumstances under which a sighting might occur.

I agree with the point made regarding a camera/trap in the woods.

However, if a coyote came nosing around an average urban home that had several game cams then I think he would get his picture taken. It would be hard for the coyote to tell the difference between a flower pot, lawn mower, 4 wheeler, garden hose, bug zappers, barbeques, patio furniture etc etc etc and a game cam. IMHO Same goes for bigfoot.

Edited by BFSleuth
Delete quoting previous post

Guest KentuckyApeman

Don't you think the simplest and most likely reason is the same reason that 400 years after the Europeans arrived, there are no specimens of bigfoot, or its body parts or its DNA or its fossils? ie absence of bigfoots?

Curse those Kommodo Dragons! They were for real!