Bf Voice

Maybe it was just all fun and games?

The ones here have been playing one of those little games with me recently.

My chicken pen is only a few yards from the bedroom window. I have three roosters that are penned up with the hens at night to protect them from predators. The crowing regularly starts about 6:30 every morning, but we're used to it, & don't even notice.

About 2 weeks ago, they woke us up at 4am, crowing like they thought it was daylight. I went to the window to see if I could tell what was going on, & the first thing I heard was a "rooster" crowing from the woods. It sounded exactly like the youngest rooster, who isn't very good at it yet. I knew all the roosters were in the pen, & could hear the one that was being imitated as well as the others.

The one in the woods would crow & the three in the pen would answer. Then, after the real roosters would crow, there was unmistakable giggling coming from the woods. I giggled, too, & went back to bed.

The next morning when I went out to tend to the chickens, the same little crowing noise came from a different direction, accompanied by a loud knock.

Does BF have a low voice or a raspy voice, or something else, or a combination of several???

My initial encounter happened with at least 2 creatures involved.

First there was what sounded just like chest thumps from the one (initiated with a rock on a tree),

seconds later came the call that has me now into my fourth year of research.

There was absolutely nothing else it could have been other than a Sasquatch. If you heard it you'd completely understand.

When you hear the voice up close like I did, you know it's nothing else..especially when you were looking for and calling them in an area of previous activity.

The voice was huge. Very guttural, raspy and almost human sounding, yet all animal.

It also reeked of antiquity if that makes any sense. It felt very very very old.

3 close whoops that were very pronounced. After the whoops the chest thumper snapped a limb.

My friend blurted out some obscenity from the shock and that was it, game over.

The caller was maybe 100ft. give or take.

I've heard recorded whoops but they've always been high pitched and in the distant.

This was bellowed and close. It filled the forest with its massive lung capacity.

That call played in my head from morning until I went to sleep for months.

BFF Patron

@mosas.........I've heard that Sasquatch can do a perfect dogbark, but it sure does make sound recording a very difficult hobby. :)

(don't get me started on coyote, and then I guess wolf calls too)

Bipedalist- yeah, from talking to BF enthusiasts it has been opinion of mine thtat BF imitates various animal sounds that are in the foreast for various reasons. pat :rolleyes:

Perhaps you need to expand your circle of enthusiasts, oh that's right, their dogma caught up with and took a chunk out of their karma, lol :P

Guest JiggyPotamus

The animals seem to have the ability to produce a diverse range of sounds, some of which either sound similar to what we would think of as "speech," which could actually be just that. There are many factors that will affect the sound heard by humans, as Sasfooty implied earlier, because unique individuals are as different as modern humans in their tonal qualities, and possibly even the sounds they make. Some are most likely shared by most of the species, while some may just sound better to an individual or small group, who then utilize those particular sounds and calls.

I have always been intrigued by the "barks." They sound similar to gorilla barks that I have heard, and although they sometimes can be mistaken for dogs, an experienced ear can actually hear that "ape quality" the sounds contain. The only sounds that I sometimes question are the high-pitched, human-like screams.

I personally believe it is possible that researchers are contaminating one another's recordings. If there is a research group some miles away while another group is call-blasting, this other group will still hear the sounds despite the distance.

This is why I think that the closer the sounds to the observers, the more likely that the sounds are not contamination. I am sure some of you have heard the growls on the edge of your camps, which can be especially unnerving to say the least. These growls, at least in my opinion, also contain that "ape-like" quality.

I sometimes wonder what the sasqui think when researchers are call-blasting out into the darkness. Common sense would imply that these animals have certain sounds for certain situations, and blasting some of these sounds could either confuse the animals, inciting them not to respond, or possibly make the animal think that humans are insane. Who knows, lol?

But to sum it up, I think we all can agree that if sasqui exist, the diversity present in their vocalizations is enough to produce sounds throughout the entire vocal spectrum, which is probably quite close to humans and other apes. And considering some humans are experts at mimicry, I would think that some sasqui are experts as well.

Edited by JiggyPotamus

BFF Patron

Some researchers DO NOT USE call-blasting and I am one of them (for the reasons that you espouse). Vocal and imitative skills of Sasquatch are in a class of their own for sure.

A close friend had a similar vocalization encounter last year. He said it started out as a whua whua then broke out into a high pitched scream that kept getting higher in pitch and amplitute as it continued for about 2 min. I searched the internet and the closest thing I found was the song of a female white-handed gibbon. He said it wasn't exact, but the closest thing he had heard.

He said it scared the bejeezus out of him, and said if he had hair on his back, every one of them would have been standing up on end.

Thanks for posting this comparison, and mentioning your friend's experience, Wes. White-handed gibbon vocals, were somewhat comparable to the multi octive and higher pitched scream, that ended the vocal we experienced. What we heard had more force, and was fast and continuous during all the dramatic vocal changes.. as if it were produced with one huge breath.

About 2 weeks ago, they woke us up at 4am, crowing like they thought it was daylight. I went to the window to see if I could tell what was going on, & the first thing I heard was a "rooster" crowing from the woods. It sounded exactly like the youngest rooster, who isn't very good at it yet. I knew all the roosters were in the pen, & could hear the one that was being imitated as well as the others.

The one in the woods would crow & the three in the pen would answer. Then, after the real roosters would crow, there was unmistakable giggling coming from the woods. I giggled, too, & went back to bed.

The next morning when I went out to tend to the chickens, the same little crowing noise came from a different direction, accompanied by a loud knock.

Sincere question since I'm not familiar with your area. Could it have been kids pulling a prank? If not and bf do giggle then they must also laugh. Have you ever heard them laughing? Does anyone here know if there are any reports of people hearing bf laughing? I've never seen a report of it myself.

Sincere question since I'm not familiar with your area. Could it have been kids pulling a prank? If not and bf do giggle then they must also laugh. Have you ever heard them laughing? Does anyone here know if there are any reports of people hearing bf laughing?

I've heard them laugh & the little ones giggle many times, when there was no doubt about who it was. They have quite a sense of humor.

The human kids around here think this place is "spooky" & don't ever come here at night.

Some researchers DO NOT USE call-blasting and I am one of them (for the reasons that you espouse). Vocal and imitative skills of Sasquatch are in a class of their own for sure.

I've always thought that call-blasting is a great way to show squatch how stupid we think they are. Thier ability to imitate sounds is so well developed that I think it would be impossible for them to mistake a blasted call for the real thing. It may draw them in, but not because they think there's a strange squatch in the woods.

I've always thought that call-blasting is a great way to show squatch how stupid we think they are. Thier ability to imitate sounds is so well developed that I think it would be impossible for them to mistake a blasted call for the real thing. It may draw them in, but not because they think there's a strange squatch in the woods.

It might also confuse them for the moment, or even put them on the move. My brief sighting happened minutes after a call blast was done from our base camp ( orangutan vocal ). It could have just been coincidence, or it might have unnerved the subject enough to put it on the run. It was the first time any call blasting was done in the area, and was tried on a limited basis, to note any results. We really don't know for sure.. what it accomplished, if anything. How it effects them, ( speculation here ) probably depends on the type of sound blasted out.

edited for another dang diddly ole ..double post

Edited by imonacan

In our 'established' camping area where we've experienced them, we DON'T do any call blasting.... but of course, this isn't a thread about call blasting.

They seem to come in and vocalize in response to us just doing 'human things'. We HAVE observed that they do vocalize and become upset when there are loud parties or often in response to fireworks or sounds of gunfire in the distance.

I have heard a general call and especially in an area I lived in (Northern NSW Australia) where I had a close encounter with a yowie (have put this in the sightings area international section). The general call is a sort of hoo hoo hoo hoo but it always starts softly half way through the first hoo (as if from almost no sound), gradually gets louder, tapers off but then cuts off before really soft again half way through the last hoo. Some have a low voice and some higher. Sometimes these are one on top of the other as a chorus is sort of formed and can be quite pretty. There is call response across the bush. I have joined in during these. I know the sounds of night animals around various bush areas in Australia and this sound is not a bird or other animal I know, and due to the fact there are other observable traits of a yowie being about a the time, I attribute this to the yowies. This is only one sort of sound. I wrote in the sightings section of a roar/growl aimed toward me and right near me, wont go back over it here but it was discussed in that section. In that section we discussed multiphonic sounds and the example of Tuvan throat singers was brought in.

I practice mulitphonic singing out bush and find that creatures which usually run when you are nearby come close. I practice it in mountain areas and though I cant say I have seen a yowie come forth from that, I have heard sounds indicating a large bipedal creature (not human ) moving closer toward me when doing that.

Im not sure about putting out recorded sounds. I feel yowies, and perhaps also bigfoot sasquatch etc as per most finely tuned creatures living with all their senses in utilisation, would recognise the sound as not being directly voculised (I mean here that they would know it was not coming from the body of warm blooded being). Sound carries a lot of information humans in our current society have cut off knowing, but Im sure that yowie sasquatch etc have not cut off this understanding. We utilise language as a means of giving known verbal labels to all about us, and ourselves, whereas there are deeper more direct languages through sound itself and intuitive understanding of this is quite possibly the shared language of nature. While ever we set ourselves apart and dont listen in to our natural and primal understanding of the communication in other creatures sounds we will likely not really understand the amazing conciousness of other beings including the yowie, yeti etc :)

Well, "IF" I can find them, I'll post them, but some of the links are out-dated. I had found some gibbon and howler monkey vocalizations that were highly similar in style and length to what we'ver heard as typical "whoops" in Michigan. Just in a higher vocal range than what we heard.

Interestingly, listening to some of the other gibbon calls that aren't like BF at all, if you didn't KNOW they were gibbons, you'd swear you were hearing a bird make some of those high pitched, rapid, short calls and not a primate.

One of the odd sounds we've heard makes you think you're hearing a pig grunt out there in the dark, then when you listen to a gorilla "belch" sound from the internet, you realize how close those are to each other. On one night when two of us got a little bit of almost every style of vocalization in the book (minus the mumbling... I think?), a few minutes after everything settle down following the deep grumbling growl, a couple soft snorts, like the pig grunting sound (gorilla belch) came from just south of camp, which is where we had gotten up from the fire to go investigate the sound of something walking around back there, which started off the whole episode which lasted quite a while.

If you're interested, it's on our vocals website www.mivocals.moonfruit.com and is the August 30/31 2008 recording we called the "River Crossing". Laptop speakers don't reproduce the low frequencies captured, so if you have headphones or full range speakers/subwoofer turned up real well, you'll capture the essence of what happend during those encounters.

Those recordings are sad. It shows how objectivity goes out the window when you WANT to believe something too deeply.

Those recordings are sad. It shows how objectivity goes out the window when you WANT to believe something too deeply.

Can you back that up with facts? We argue the argument , not the person. Maybe linking to recordings you feel are of a better quality?

I just wish we had some factual recordings that were proven to be from a Sasquatch. The recordings are becoming numerous and overated just as the blurry photos have become.