Bf Voice

Hi Encounter,

Welcome to the new BFF, I remember you on the old one and also your Yowie encounter. I enjoyed reading it again, thanks for sharing it.

The first Yowie sound I heard was way back in the late 90’s early 2000’s? near Taree. I was investigating a property where the family had ongoing Yowie activity. I was in the bush up behind their house on a narrow trail and as I passed a dense wall of lantana, I was grunted at. I know Koala grunts and it certainly wasn’t it, not as raspy and rhythmic, it was more guttural.

I also heard a sound that was almost identical to one that’s attributed to Sasquatch on the Sierra Sounds CD, it’s hard to describe. That was just west of Wollongong, on MT Kembla. The rest of the sounds I’ve heard have been down here in Vic.

I have heard a “Hoo... Hoo... Hoo†sound, but it’s kind of continuous and can go on for minutes. The owners of the property and myself call it “The breathing sound†We have a theory that seems to fit, although obviously we don’t know for sure, but we think it happens when they’re watching us. We think that they may “zone out†and aren’t aware that they’re doing it? As I said, just a theory.

Again, welcome back!

Cheers,

Kraig

:) Thanks for the welcome Kraig and for that info. Its good to find someone else who has heard the "hoo hoo...". Yes when they were in chorus it was continuous when I heard it. Sometimes though there would be one alone and the group of repeditive sounds would only last through their breath. They would stop and start again. Usually then you would hear another one quite a distance away in the bush. They seemed to move about quite well.

They seem to have great breath capacity. In the chorus one, which I heard nightly in Mullumbimby over a month or so, one starts and another continues it so it overlapps. In music woodwind musicians do this when they need to play something continuously - taking turns and overlapping on the same repeditive phrase so it sounds continuous.

Perhaps then the continous sound you heard was overlapping. I heard them actually calling this out in different pitches which harmonised and it was quite pretty. The sound is warm and non aggressive. I thought it was a sort of connection with each other across the bush. I like your concept of them sort of cutting off and just unconciously calling out. I used to join in which was accepted - until one night where I let myself be known in a way unfortunately which must have surprised them. They stopped this nightly choir immediately after that.

Edited by Encounter

BFF Patron

Scott Nelson has said this is not a human talking.

This recording is copyrighted by the owner.

Mike (watch1)

Heard that one before Mike. I think it is unique for many reasons. It is one of the few alleged recordings where the BF vocal actually sounds slower or more drawn out than human speech. Most recordings I've heard are very much speeded up types of gibberish that sounds like it is human speech played backwards. That clip does have some of the lower frequency bass sounds in it that I am familiar with though in listening to and recording putative BF vocals.

BFF Patron

Thanks for that, reminds me of the goldmine of info. in the old archives on the subject matter (some day). As for rat tickling that would be a pretty lousy job, lol.

Guest Biggie

I am going to listen to that one a little closer when I get time. It sure sounds like "cracker" in there..LOL

Well we would know that there were at least one black bf there then. hehe

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-15880045

Gorilla giggling for comparison :)

Interesting. I wish they would have shown her giggling instead of him describing it.

Guest toejam

There's giggling recorded on the Morehead/Barry recordings.

There's also the voice of a little one just before the old man seemingly scolds it for talking.

Both great captures.

Guest SwampMonster

Thank you, Art. I know that some of them have a pack of coyotes that they run with, and we hardly ever hear coyotes unless one of the BFs howl first & get them started. I saw one walking across the pasture one night with 5 or 6 coyotes trotting along beside him.

All the recordings that I keep that have coyotes howling, have whoops or some other BF vocals in them too.

As I mentioned in my intro for new members, coyotes are abundant around here. Several times as I sat in my treestand while hunting near dusk, I have heard strange calls (whoops or deep howls that would rise in pitch before ending roughly) that seemed to excite the coyotes into a howling frenzy. Never once did I think of BF, but I couldn't identify the culprit either. Whatever it was often initiated the frenzy from some distance from the pack. It would continue as the coyotes moved closer to it, then cease abrubtly as the pack fell silent.

Sometimes the "whoops" would be in a rapid series of 3 or 4, while other times it would be just one.

I'm skeptical that it was a BF, but you have definitely given me something to think about. Could it be?

Why do we associate with dogs? I think coyotes are their "dogs".

One of the benefits of having them around seems to be that they blend in with BFs howls, so people think it's just a pack of coyotes howling. It's amazing how people ignore what's going on along with the coyote noise.

We've also seen some things that led us to think they may help the BFs with their hunting, too.

Why would BF and coyotes associate with each? I can't figure out the possible connection.

There isn't any real necessity to link coyotes with BF. Most BF reports do not include coyotes at all. Coyotes on the other hand are common animals in NA. It is likely that they share some habitat. If a bunch of coyotes are howling or yipping to each other when a BF starts calling then you are probably just hearing coincident messaging.

No, he is probably hearing some BFs & their pack of coyotes. He described their behavior perfectly.

I've been observing this behavior for 6 years & there is NO mistake about it. We see and hear them together regularly.

A few years ago, a researcher here got video of a coyote running toward him just after he whooped. In the video, it looks like a dog, running toward his master's whistle.

I don't see how "most BF reports not including coyotes" leads you to the conclusion that there is no connection between them. Most people aren't always seen with their dogs either, but that doesn't mean that they don't have any.

Guest Biggie

There is a bf audio recording with coyotes in it. Maybe it's on the BFRO but I can't remember. I thought at the time that it could have been a bf that got mad at a coyote for bugging it where it then killed the coyote since you can hear a bunch of heavy brush movement like a bf raging through it with a coyote barking around it then the coyote yipes a couple times and all goes silent. Now from reports like that above with bf being seen with coyotes and dogs I think it could have been hunting whatever animal along with the bf where the yipe could have been from bf hitting it just to make it shutup but not hard enough to kill it if the coyote was considered a part of the pack. Oh well who knows.

• 3 months later...
Guest vilnoori

I'm sure coyotes are attracted to kills, and if BF kills deer and leaves something for them afterwards I could see a partnership sort of growing over time.