Infra Sound And Getting Zapped

Guest tracker

How bout a non-comic book explanation? Infra-sound? which X-MEN character uses that?

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/45/5/448

The tonic immobility (fright) response is pan-mammalian. Tonic immobility is most useful when a slow-moving vulnerable organism (e.g., the opossum) is confronted with a life-threatening situation involving mobile, large predators.3,7 Tonic immobility may enhance survival when a predator temporarily loosens its grip on captured prey under the assumption that it is indeed dead, providing the prey with an opportunity for escape. It is also a response that may be adaptive in humans when there is no possibility of escaping or winning a fight.7

What I don't understand is why you don't hear the same reports of intense fear from the natives in Africa who are near elephant herds that use infrasound, or people living near alligators that also use it? What is the difference? At what range does infrasound have to be to cause these affects?

Hey Everyone,

Okay lets talk about this phenomena, infra sound or getting zapped by a Sasquatch. I heard of this happening to some witnesses while others are not affected. Basically an affected person either passes out or they drop and feel very sick and weak.

And yet we come full circle on the question, "Where's the validatable proof that bigfoot even does this?"

Oh... yeah. There IS NONE.

Guest Cervelo

I think we may need to find another term at some point for this experience. I use to date a woman who was the trainer and handler for elephants, and rhinos at a park. I have had the honor of working very close with the elephants and have felt these sounds at point blank range. Now I don't know if they were doing all they are capable of but I never felt fear, sick or panic. It was actually kinda soothing. They knew me and did not veiw me as a threat I guess. I have had one case of feeling run off by somthing in the woods I don't know what it was but I have learned to follow my instincts so I high tailed it. I can understand fully how that uncomfortable feeling could have ramped up to something else but from my limited time around animals that can produce it the two feelings for me had nothing in common. I have been around the elephants when they were agitated as a group and rumbling (you feel it all over) and it had no ill affects. If you every get to close to a rhino trust me run Forrest run!!!!!

As a Deputy Chief with 30 years so far in my LE career, you must know more about my profession than I'm privy to. There is no such viable weapon system available to LE, nor is it on the horizon. Too bad, would have saved me a few stitches when I was still working the street.

Nice try, though...

The rest isn't worth the bandwidth to debate. You buy it, folks like me don't....

Local RCMP have these, so I am surprised other LEO's are not aware of them.

For the record I don't believe in sasquatches. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device

Thanks Cervelo, you kind of answered my question. The only thing that I know of that can do real physical damage with sound is a whale targeting a giant squid, and that is theoretical. We are bombarded by infrasound all day and yet I don't feel like something is watching me or anxious. It might be why so many people are on antidepressants but who really knows? I would say noise pollution, just in the city, would be enough to drive you crazy whether you can hear it or not. Then you have to look at the physical mechanism the bigfoot would have to have to send a burst of infrasound directed towards a person. I am not sure that what they attribute to bigfoot is infrasound, I don't have alternate explanation though.

Edited to add this comment from an article I was reading:

"Infrasound also has other uses, von Muggenthaler notes: A tiger's roar contains an 18 hertz component that induces feelings of terror in humans and can paralyze prey for up to 10 seconds. "

Edited by Jodie

Guest TooRisky

As a Deputy Chief with 30 years so far in my LE career, you must know more about my profession than I'm privy to. There is no such viable weapon system available to LE, nor is it on the horizon. Too bad, would have saved me a few stitches when I was still working the street.

Nice try, though...

The rest isn't worth the bandwidth to debate. You buy it, folks like me don't....

Funny how the Navy use it at sea along with the merchant fleets to stop/deter Pirates, Army/Marines deployed it to control crowds in the middle east and the LA police have a unit which they have not deployed yet... Privy yes, willing to keep updated as to what is available.... Hmmm

As for saving you some stitches on the street... It is not a shield of protection, it is an lower frequency sound emitter making it a deterrent at least and an offensive weapon is more like it and yes it can kill you... The size is its limiting factor as well as the power, but in a stationary position it cant be beat... As for stitches in the Ol rear, well ya just have to react a little faster for this can not help ya in a one on one in a dark alley scenero, or like me and many in combat, ya just cant move fast enough....

Admin

For the record I don't believe in sasquatches. http://en.wikipedia....Acoustic_Device

The potential to cause permanent ear damage/hearing loss would put a unit such as this outside the consideration of local LE Agencies here in the U.S. I'm not familiar with any State Agencies that use this type of unit, either.

Admin

I don't think you can compare the effects of a military weapon to the claimed abilities of an animal we don't even know exists for sure.

The premise of this thread is just silly.

However, I recognize the right of members to engage in wild speculation, so carry on if you will.

I don't think you can compare the effects of a military weapon to the claimed abilities of an animal we don't even know exists for sure.

The premise of this thread is just silly.

However, I recognize the right of members to engage in wild speculation, so carry on if you will.

For myself as I stated since I don't believe in sasquatch obviously I don't believe in their use of infra sound.

I was just replying to a LEO that claimed no such technology existed.

Nothing more, nothing less.

The potential to cause permanent ear damage/hearing loss would put a unit such as this outside the consideration of local LE Agencies here in the U.S. I'm not familiar with any State Agencies that use this type of unit, either.

Supposedly they were deployed "the LRAD device was on hand at protests of the 2004 Republican National Convention in New York City[3] but not used"

However Gigantor is right this is probably high-jacking this thread so unless someone has a specific question to me, I for my part with stop with this topic.

What I don't understand is why you don't hear the same reports of intense fear from the natives in Africa who are near elephant herds that use infrasound, or people living near alligators that also use it? What is the difference? At what range does infrasound have to be to cause these affects?

"Infra-sound" simply means sound at a frequency below that which we can hear. There are lots of different frequencies in that range, all with differing effects. Some are reported to be far more incapacitating than others.

Also, low frequencies have a much greater range than high frequencies. Meaning a signal of the same volume will travel further at a lower frequency, or a low frequency signal will reach the same target with greater strength than a higher frequency signal.

For the record I don't believe in sasquatches. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device

MagniAesir, that particular article you linked referenced a device which makes an extremely loud sound at 2.5 khz this is not infrasound. Most healthy humans can hear tones down to 20 hz. Usually sounds lover than that are refered to as subsonic or infrasound. If you want to feel the effects of subsonic soundwaves find a church or opera house with a pipe organ. The lower octave of these will go well below 20hz and be plenty loud to boot, but you can't hear it only feel it. A truly great and strange experience.

Edited by MarkMc