Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

BT, cut & suck unless it's a place you can't reach with your mouth. lol carry a snake bite kit with the sucker bulbs, I saw them at walmart for around $20. Lucy might not help you out there. But if you had to cut & suck one of the dogs, not sure. Supposedly need to beware of any abrasions in your mouth, and spit alot. Also not sure if it is an "X" cut between the fang holes, or an "X" above the bite area. I've heard both, but thankfully never needed it. I have met folks that swear to have used that method successfully.

I was also told that smaller venemous snakes usually inject more fluid, because they haven't learned to measure their venom to be more efficient killing prey. Not sure if any of this is old wives tales or what. I guess it pays to be prepared, and educated. I think down there you should be able to find some knowledgeable folks to steer you right. Up here we have  very few rattle snakes, and even fewer copperheads.

I've read that cutting and sucking are not that effective for snake bite, I'm no doctor so I have no idea but researching snake bites, it seems to me the old ways were maybe not the right way.  Here is a link from Backpacker there are many more claiming Snake Bite kits and cut and suck may not be a good idea. Just food for thought.

http://www.backpacker.com/survival/treat-a-snakebite/

Good stuff guys, thanks Mesabe, and great link Daveedoe. If I could get immediate help, wouldn't do anything, but I'm usually way out there, and an hour or more away from help. If it's a small snake, would probably use the Snake-Bite Kit with suckers, due to the small fangs, but might not do any good for a big snake with large fangs.

My only run in with a Rattler was a few years back.......he was about 7 feet long, and came so fast down an incline that all I could do was freeze. He went right between my legs and continued on........I had a gun, and my buddy behind me said "shoot him", but no way - he wasn't aggressive towards me, and I returned the favor:) If he had tagged me, I was 2 hours from my campsite, and another 2 hours to get to my truck in my Kayak.......then however long to a Hospital, not a good situation to be in.

I posted this before, and was the largest Coral Snake I have ever heard of or seen. They ARE NOT supposed to get this big, and I estimated him at 7 feet long. He was incredibly beautiful, and was the most aggressive snake I have ever run across.....guess he's big for a reason. I spent some time with him, and just marveled at his splendor. I thought about catching him due to the value, as he was surely a record size and length for this type, but was just way to aggressive to get near. I know these are in the Cobra family, and didn't think they raised and hooded, but this bad boy did.

post-193-0-80774200-1410884541_thumb.jpg

Bigtex -   Did you mean to say 7 feet long for the coral snake....or did you have the rattler measurement still on your mind?   As far as their aggression...I've seen coral snakes do a zig-zag pattern towards whatever is bothering them (usually me)...little herky-jerky zig zag bursts of movement...(if that makes any sense)...but never have seen a "hooded" display like a cobra......new one on me!!  I believe that there are a couple non-poisonous N.A. snakes(other than hog-nose) that sorta flare their neck to look more intimidating....but not anything to the extent that resembles a cobra's display.    HWM  

BFF Patron

This thread reminds me of an old joke about someone getting a snake bite on their behind but I better not tell it.     The punch line so you remember it by the buddy was  "you are going to die". 

Hey HWM.......that would be 7 FEET on the Coral snake, crazy huge, and that's why I wanted to catch it, it was a record for sure. I tried pining his neck twice with sticks, but he would break them with his body movement, extremely strong & scary snake. When he rose and 'hooded', it was not the classic Cobra hood, with the flared part extending to the ground, and yes similar to what a Hog-nose snake will do. He would loudly hiss too, never seen a Coral snake do that either. 

thanks Bigtex for the picture of the coral snake. I heard a saying once "red on black venom lack, Red on yellow kill a fellow." have always remembered that never seen one but I see the red on yellow in you picture!

BT - Holy moly....makes me wonder how OLD that thing was...hope it's not a sign of things to come!!  

Was just thinkin'...maybe it's the "bigfoot-less" version of coral snakes!  :)

LOL HWM........he was sunning in a particular spot, late afternoon, and I always look for him when I go by there. One of my crazy snake buddies said if I ever saw it again, catch it, and he would give me 8K for it........don't think they make the Coral snake anti-venom anymore, not worth it. 

I'm not surprised about the 8K and I think that would be a bargain. I've always just used a green branch...something with a little give & with a "Y" to control its head. I believe that, ounce for ounce,....the coral has a fortitude that the pit vipers (cottonmouth excluded) don't quite have. They're strong for their size,...muscular and kinda barrel shaped,...and to top that off,....their scales are small, tight and slick....so you have to be extra careful when handling one...capturing one. 

Thinking about handling a coral that large (was its girth similar to, a rake handle or so?)...a poorman's version of a snake snare (instead of a hook) a fishin' rod with large enough

eyes to let a 1/4" dia. cotton rope fed thru each eye - the exiting end being stoutly fixed to the rod shaft, (6 - 8" or so lower)....and push out enough of the rope from the other end to form a noose - just be very careful not to crush its bones...but firmly enough to hang on. The rod's flexibility will absorb some shock during the struggle....I'd have a select and stout green Y - branch handy as well, to be sure and control its head -as back-up - (I think the short, bass rod would probably suffice) ....the rush of tryin' to catch one that big...wow.  I would probably need to change my undershorts....but it would be worth it...oh yeah!      Got a big burlap sack?

Edited by HairyWildMan

It's getting to be that time of year.......love struck Buck tore this tree up, and one of his buddies wasn't quite fast enough.

Hey HWM......industrial broom handle size, not the smaller diameter, like a thick hard pipe, very strong.......I will not mess with him if seen again.

post-193-0-29771400-1410977205_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-67579200-1410977225_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-08273800-1410977240_thumb.jpg

Animal kills and the bones get cleaned pretty quick in these parts, first whatever killed them has their fill, the smaller nibblers next, and the bugs get the rest.

It has really been raining the last few days, and the best in a few years......really hoping it will make the creeks run again, been 3 years since they have. There should be a wealth of tracks out there, and looking for a break in the weather to head out. Here's one of the BF Trails I hike, and was easy to follow the other day with small branches of Beautyberry dropped along the way like bread crumbs. These have been getting ripe for a few weeks, and offer a great sweet treat, I eat them too.

post-193-0-17515300-1411134890_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-93940900-1411134906_thumb.jpg

An interesting bit about coral snake venom:

The bite of a coral snake may soon be more dangerous, in part because bites are so uncommon. Production of coral snake antivenom in the United States ceased because it is not profitable. According to Pfizer, the owner of the company that used to make Coralmyn, it would take over $5–$10 million to put toward researching a new synthetic antivenom.[citation needed][clarification needed] The cost was too large for the small number of cases presented each year. The American antivenom stock expired in 2008, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has extended the expiration date every year through at least 2013.[8] Foreign pharmaceutical manufacturers have produced other coral snake antivenoms, but the costs of licensing them in the United States have stalled availability (see above).[9] Instituto Bioclon is developing a coral snake antivenom.[10] In 2013, Pfizer was reportedly working on a new batch of antivenom but had not announced when it would become available.[8]

Aspidelaps%20lubricusweb.jpg

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic