Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

You guys know your habitat, quarry, soil and moisture characteristics. That counts for tons more in my book than a scientific instrument that purports to measure soil density.  I know some would disagree.   But yeah, if you have that reason to believe the print is fresh, you've got a good opportunity to take a density measurement. Like any tool though, it is not just cruicial to know how to use it, but WHEN to use it. 

Randy, so what are your ideas about how this gizmo would work? Would it shoot a bolt like a hardness meter, and stop when it meets the point of maximum resistance? Then maybe you measure how far the probe extended, compare the value to a chart? 

Might there already be some off-the-shelf version of this out there arleady, or no?

Tex....looks like no long jump record is safe! Holy cow!       

BFF Patron

If anyone is interested in a Bad Dog let me know.     You get two big boxes and no instructions.    There was some trial and error putting on the wheels, so those measurements would be very helpful to anyone building one up.    I sort of made some assumptions about the wheel lateral spacing and it worked out well as far as alignment of the chain drive.     They are in California and legal liability issues force them not to give instructions.    The website lists what comes with it so basically you get most everything but the motor and drive gear (chain etc).     I put on a GTC torque converter,  which requires a spacer to raise the motor,  and it has a 200CC Honda engine.    It starts in one pull.    I have ordered an exhaust pipe and muffler that puts the exhaust out further back than the standard Honda muffler.   If you are not careful with the stock muffler you can burn your leg.    That motor with the torque converter has good climbing ability and a top speed of about 30.       Not sure the fenders are worth it as they are optional.     They might be a problem in the snow.    You tell the kit maker what engine you are using and they drill the engine mounting plate to match the engine.    I had some initial issues with keeping the chain tight but rigged up a chain tensioner that seems to do the trick.   The tires are so wide that a normal motorcycle ramp and trailer hitch rack do not work.    I use an ATV ramp to get it in the truck.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

BFF Patron

WSA I have looked on line but cannot find anything portable.     My concept was perhaps a 1 by 2 inch transparent lexan  box or circular 2 inch tube with a plunger inside.    The plunger being loaded with stiff compression springs.   Too small and the soil with squirt out rather than compress.    On the side of the plunger, markings to allow the plunger to be pressed into the soil to the same depth of a found footprint.      Additional markings would be made and calibrated to correspond to pounds per square inches.       That depends on the springs and the surface area of the plunger.     It could either be direct reading on the side, or linear with a calibration chart to convert the linear reading to PSI.    In the field, around the outside of a found BF footprint you would press the plunger into the soil,  to the same depth as the footprint, then take the reading to get the corresponding PSI.      Take several readings and then take an average.        Document the footprint carefully photographically,  with good measurements, then at home compute the area of the footprint as accurately as possible.     With the readings from the soil density meter, you could then compute the weight required make a footprint with that surface area to that depth.       If Patty is real, BF walks with their full weight on alternate feet and one foot off the ground.      The only thing you could be sure of that on the day you did the testing, the soil would require that weight to make that footprint.       I would probably test and calibrate it with my own footprints and then load a large stomper (skeptics will love this) with 500 lbs to see if the accuracy holds up for a larger foot and weight.   According to the skeptics I probably have a closet full of stompers with the corresponding sized BF suits to produce all the local sightings.   Since that is the only thing a skeptic can imagine that would produce both footprints and sightings.     If the correlation holds or is consistent then the weight of the making BF should be determinable with some degree of inaccuracy.   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

I like that design Randy. I don't see why it wouldn't work well enough to give you at least a better ballpark. Gauging the depth of the print might need a seperate tool, but very simply done.   

BFF Patron

Soil density meter will be a winter project.    Right now priority is rigging up a solar panel for my camp trailer to keep the battery charged when I am dry camping and not plugged in.    Have the hardware just have to put it all together.   Was planning field work today but some big winds and not a good time to be in the woods.    Supposed to be gusts to 40 and 50.   That will bring some trees down as it is in town. 

If anyone is interested in a Bad Dog let me know.     You get two big boxes and no instructions.    There was some trial and error putting on the wheels, so those measurements would be very helpful to anyone building one up.    I sort of made some assumptions about the wheel lateral spacing and it worked out well as far as alignment of the chain drive.     They are in California and legal liability issues force them not to give instructions.    The website lists what comes with it so basically you get most everything but the motor and drive gear (chain etc).     I put on a GTC torque converter,  which requires a spacer to raise the motor,  and it has a 200CC Honda engine.    It starts in one pull.    I have ordered an exhaust pipe and muffler that puts the exhaust out further back than the standard Honda muffler.   If you are not careful with the stock muffler you can burn your leg.    That motor with the torque converter has good climbing ability and a top speed of about 30.       Not sure the fenders are worth it as they are optional.     They might be a problem in the snow.    You tell the kit maker what engine you are using and they drill the engine mounting plate to match the engine.    I had some initial issues with keeping the chain tight but rigged up a chain tensioner that seems to do the trick.   The tires are so wide that a normal motorcycle ramp and trailer hitch rack do not work.    I use an ATV ramp to get it in the truck.  

Cool rig.  You can float those suckers across rivers and streams too.

I've been on similar units.  Handy little torque monsters they can be.  I'd recommend rigging up a rack or baskets on it to help with hauling gear.

Again, cool rig!

BFF Patron

Rack would be good.     Not sure I want to try to run a river with it.   

I saw a guy, he was a hunter, used a similar mini-bike, and had a trailer hitch on it, which he used to tow gear & trophies.........might be an idea too.

I have posted the 'Babyfoot' pics before, and to me they are quite amazing........never seen anything quite like them before, what do you track guys think?

The keys are 5" long........there were a few baby tracks by a spring, and this was the best one. Junior appeared to have been let down from mothers arms to get a drink.

Also.......your worst nightmare, and killed South of here........if this bad-boy tags you while hiking, best to start digging your grave:(

post-193-0-40960800-1410798341_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-77290300-1410798357_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-59294200-1410798472_thumb.jpg

Awesome track BT, I don't remember seeing that one before. Pretty much rules out a human allowing for a barefooted child in that area.

I never knew rattlers got that long! That hide is a wall hanger for sure.

Bigtex - does that print have a big toe that looks to be protuding a bit more than 'normal'.

Reminds of "Big Toe" of the Rogue River area.

Also, how long was that rattler?  CRAZY!

Hey Cotter.....the big toe looked a bit out of proportion, but there were other animal tracks in and around the spring area that came after, adding a bit of trash to the prints.......it looked better in person.

Rattler was alleged to be over 12 feet, and looks like it could have been, the strike zone would be near 6 feet, scary........check out the fangs of a 12 footer from Florida. I didn't take either picture, and received from a buddy. Snake bites are certainly one of the major things to worry about while out in remote areas. Let's talk snakes for a minute guys......what are your safety tips and advice if bitten? This is a good one for us to compare notes on, might save a life or limb for a reader down the road.

Myself, I wear snake guards in snake zones where I can't clearly see the ground, and at night, but for the most part, do not wear them, plus minimal foot wear......not always a good idea. If I get bit, I'm old school, and will cut 'n suck. Of course, it will help no matter what you decide to know what species of snake bit you.

post-193-0-06161100-1410812176_thumb.jpg

BFF Patron

The snake picture makes me glad there are not supposed to be any rattlers West of the Cascades.     I stepped on the tail of one when I was a kid in Eastern Oregon.     I was young and quick and it was running so when it snapped around to strike I was out of range.     Same would not be the case now that I am older and slower.     In snake country you used to be able to get anti-venum just in case.     Not sure if you still can or if it has a short shelf life.    Even the shot does not prevent tissue damage.   

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic