Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Hey Cotter/Bigtex......I finally got the chance to research further...the photo that Cotter googled and posted (#1020)...and it was a coral snake....but specifically a Cape Coral Snake from Africa. I initially googled the "coral snake" images and there were a myriad of images....several non-poisonous look-similar ones as well as other types of corals.  I then decided to copy the photo on your post, Cotter,....for easy reference,...and the jpeg file name that popped up when copying...include the scientific name Aspidelaps lubricus   which I googled and the photo was a perfect match with the other images of the Cape Coral Snake.  So, now I don't feel so bad  for suggesting that the image was not the N. American version of Coral Snake  :)   I wasn't sure if there were some variations (of what I knew to be the N. American version of a Coral)....that I wasn't familiar with. 

I just need to figure out how to copy/paste an image here and I'll post a good close up that shows the rounded head shape of our coral. 

Edited by HairyWildMan

My buddy was a country boy from the lonely prairies of rural Chicago and like all such with a modicum of self respect kept a loaded Stevens hammerless side-by-side 12 Ga. in the hall closet stoked, if memory serves, with #2 buckshot.

Now there's a good fella.  My stevens side by side has #4 shot in it tho, and is kept in the living room.

:-)

Hey Cotter/Bigtex......I finally got the chance to research further...the photo that Cotter googled and posted (#1020)...and it was a coral snake....but specifically a Cape Coral Snake from Africa. I initially googled the "coral snake" images and there were a myriad of images....several non-poisonous look-similar ones as well as other types of corals.  I then decided to copy the photo on your post, Cotter,....for easy reference,...and the jpeg file name that popped up when copying...include the scientific name Aspidelaps lubricus   which I googled and the photo was a perfect match with the other images of the Cape Coral Snake.  So, now I don't feel so bad  for suggesting that the image was not the N. American version of Coral Snake  :)   I wasn't sure if there were some variations (of what I knew to be the N. American version of a Coral)....that I wasn't familiar with. 

I just need to figure out how to copy/paste an image here and I'll post a good close up that shows the rounded head shape of our coral. 

Cool!  Thx for the clarification!  (You vetted the pic WAYYYY better than I did! - PLUS!)

WRT the closet/armory location, it was more accurately a small pantry and broom closet in a short passage between the kitchen where hubby was having a cup of coffee when the ball dropped, and the living room where the brief battle was joined. Under the circumstances, it could not have been better positioned. I've told that story a number of times over the last 44 years (I'm sure adult beverages were always involved), but never written it out; it's amazing the way the little details come to mind.

Hi Cotter....hey thanks,...I just didn't want to seem like a smart alec by voicing my doubt about it.

Bigtex - I love that picture of the guinea hens & others surrounding the rattler....wouldn't surprise me if they killed it!

Edited by HairyWildMan

I was talking to my wife's best friend the other day here in town, and she lives up on a high ridge overlooking some of the areas I hike in, and where several alleged BF Trails are coming into the wild side of town. She has hiked with me before, knows about my BF hobby, and is interested in the subject. Anyways, she is familiar with local wildlife sounds, but heard something much different last Saturday night. She was on her deck around 1:30 AM, and heard one single incredibly loud powerful roar. I asked specifically if it was a howl, but she was quick to point out that it was more of an aggressive roar. The area she was pointing at in the distance is down in a ravine, in an area where I have found many prints over the years, and along several converging creeks. My good buddy Shadowangel and I had an interesting encounter down there one night on a stake out a few years back. We were in a semi-concealed position right on the edge of a 30' cliff overlooking an area where two creeks come together. We played the 'Ohio-howl' recording a couple of times, and were approached by a large creature with heavy footfalls, and not concerned at all with a stealthy approach. However, the approach got much quieter as it got closer. There's a good stand of trees directly under the cliff we were on, and I believe it crept just below us in these trees......it was a bit unnerving. Tossed some rocks down there, probably not a good idea, but it seemed to move off quietly, but not sure, and wasn't going down there to check:) 

Hey Cotter......would love to see some pictures of your Stevens pop-gun:) Is it an old gun......really like the old 'grandpappy' shotguns.

Been meaning to mention, and true to the thread name 'Looking for help in Central Texas', haven't had anyone come around in quite some time, and am really looking for someone to help me do some night work.......any folks from Austin or nearby read this?

I consider it a grandpappy gun, something I picture an old fart having while sitting on a rocking chair on his front porch.  I'll see if I can't locate my camera and snap a few pics.  I'd guess it's 'old' in the sense it's probably 60 or more years old.

Not vintage or anything (at least I hope not knowing what I've put that through!).

Wish I was in Texas, I'd be out w/you in a flash!

Yeah......wish you could too Cotter, where are you located?

I am always by myself (with dogs & wolf) during the day, but don't want them out there at night, particularly the Wolf, and I just don't think it's a good idea to be out there at night by yourself......too many bad things can happen starting with a miss-step.

I can't tell you guys how excited I am for some night work down here, and I expect some action! Come on down somebody:)

Tex, since your area seems to be so active, it could be ideal for audio recording overnight. That way you don't have to be present in order to gather evidence, for the time being.

I have thought about doing that, and certainly have the gear to record quality audio.......just haven't done it. I still have about 40 hours of old audio to go through.

Does anyone here know the best way to go through audio quickly, I'm really lacking in this area? 

Very Cool!! Thank you soooo much JKH, now I can start doing more recording:) I had limited myself more and more over the years because I knew it would take me forever to listen to it all.

BFF Patron

The best way to go through audio more quickly is with audio digital graphics software.    You can scan through it and only listen to what looks interesting once you learn the graphics signature of various outdoor sounds.     I use Sonic Visualizer and Transcribe.    Both are shareware and downloadable.   Scott Nelson uses Transcribe.    

Here's a picture of some strange large limestone slabs that I found. Certainly could be natural, but their are 90 degree corners that seem unnatural. These are located near the top of what I call 'The Pyramid'. This Pyramid has had me scratching my head for years, and looks similar to the ones found in Bosnia, covered in trees, except this one is much more Pyramid like. There are some very unnatural looking rocks on this thing, and particularly towards and on the flat rectangular top. I have found many strange rock formations in the area, including a massive stone wall the encompasses several miles around what I would call a strategic and defensible location. In some places, the wall is 4' thick, and 8' feet high. I have reported this to various officials, and they dismiss it as being made by the Spanish or early Ranchers, but they don't know for sure, or seem to care. One thing for sure, whoever built this stuff had a huge labor force, and must have taken them many years to complete. I just can't imagine the Spanish or Settlers amassing such a labor force for this undertaking, plus why? To me, it looks Mayan or similar, very old, and predates any of the early settlers IMO.

Has anyone seen rocks like this? If it's shoreline water erosion, these are way above any recent flood planes, and on top of 'The Pyramid'.

post-193-0-49046900-1412003973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic