Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Cabin looks great Tex, typical western Washington terrain and flora. Both of our kids and their kids are in Seattle, as well as my sister and numerous nieces and nephews and their kids around Redmond and Sammamish so we usually drive out there two or three times a year. I've never been to the area around Granite Falls but it looks mighty attractive on Google Earth. Right in the heart of Squatch territory. Might get a chance to meet up with you sometime when you settle in the region.

Sounds like a plan Airdale, that would be fun.

Here are two prints I found yesterday, and back in my stomping grounds in Central Texas.

post-193-0-42632100-1413395672_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-00549800-1413395685_thumb.jpg

I am planning my most aggressive night op to date on November 8th with my good buddy Chester Moore. As a courtesy to the local BF Clan, I have not done this before. They know about me, and we seem to have a mutual trust.

That will end the night of November 8th, as I will employ several of my home-made devices in strategic locations along the BF Trails into my town.

I have located several 'pinch' points on their trails into town, and will put two of my camera traps at the two best spots.......we will have a hidden blind near both of them. 

Both spots will be wired for sound, as there will be no mistake to the BF that he has been 'cheesed', and should result in a good sound clip to go along with the picture. Using 35mm, there will be a flash, so we need to be close enough to know the cameras have been activated, and try to retrieve them immediately, as I don't want the BF(s) destroying the cameras:)

This should be exciting, scary, and crazy fun!

I will update the plan as we get closer.......really looking forward to this!

Here's a rather interesting find.......I originally found this on Wednesday 10/8, the day before my Seattle trip, and it wasn't there the day before. I had taken pictures the day I found it, but the tree leaves didn't show up very well green, so took some more this past Saturday, and they showed up better, as they are turning yellow.

The tree is a Juniper, is about 30' tall, with the living leaves starting about 20' up, and shown in the first photo. What was odd is the forest floor was covered with these green leaves, they were everywhere around the base of the tree......two photos below, and still hard to see just how many are there in the photos. These were shaken off the tree, and the last picture shows the tree trunk with recent evidence of being grabbed. To me, it looked like some type of smaller critter was up in this tree, and shaken out......I tried, but couldn't hardly make the tree move.

post-193-0-51952400-1413817886_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-19234400-1413818138_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-96300500-1413818151_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-24336200-1413818172_thumb.jpg

Hiked over to the shake tree again......I stuck a stick at my height (6'1"), marked with the red arrow in first pic, and the other wavy line is the alleged grab area, and would be awkward for me to grab it there. If indeed it was grabbed and shaken (not stirred), it would be a taller person/creature than me, and really strong to shake all the leaves loose.......another picture of those. 

post-193-0-01710400-1414094999_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-71221500-1414095013_thumb.jpg

I took these pictures yesterday of an interesting find I made a few years back.......just hadn't been through there in a while, and didn't take the pics the first go around. It's on one of the more used-by-critters remote trails that I use to hike frequently, and found these 2 uprooted Junipers as a marker and/or block.......wasn't there, then there the next day kinda thing. It was fresh the first time I saw it, bigger, and with green foliage still on it. I change my hiking patterns every few months for several reasons, but mainly just to cover and know more territory, so finally getting back there again on one of my 're-visit' hikes.  

One thing's for sure, something pulled these two trees up by the roots and threw them on the trail.

post-193-0-33308300-1414181444_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-74897800-1414181458_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-60521900-1414181473_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful hiking weather this weekend.......went for several hours yesterday, and found this larger size print. Supposed to get some good rain this week, really hoping this happens, as it is the right time of year to look for prints, lotta wildlife movement when it finally cools off down here.

post-193-0-95771400-1415026997_thumb.jpg

OK......count down for some fun in the woods this Saturday night!! I will be violating a trust of sorts by employing several of my home-made camera traps at 3 key locations along the BF Trails........I have never done anything like this before in my #1 area, should be interesting. This might upset some 'critters', and the big ones know where I live:)

Edited by Bigtex

Now I am worrying about you. If you manage to surprise them, I hope they forgive you. Maybe you should leave an extra nice gift for them.

Thanks guys.......my concerns will be immediate, because if my cameras go off, I need to be near to retrieve them quickly due to the 35mm flash. And if by extreme chance it's a BF, he isn't going to be happy, and will go for the cameras would be my guess. I will have the area bugged for sound as well with a high quality recording device recording in a WAC stereo format. Taking 2 buddies for backup, with very powerful lighting. We will hit the lights, make some noise.....and try to go get the cameras without being Bigfoot-whipped. 

I use 35mm because of the speed in which the cameras fire, and much harder to photo shop......I think, someone please enlighten me about that, my tech curve is 10 years old:) 

Great idea about the gift JKH, I will certainly leave something.

BFF Patron

Well Bigtex look at it this way. If they know where you live and show up, then you don't have to go as far to have contact. Good luck on the camera traps. I know you carry a camera when you hike because you post pictures. Is it visible or hidden in a pack? Perhaps they expect you to take pictures already anyway.

Hey SWWASAS........good to hear from you. I don't carry much usually, and my camera was an iPhone for many years, and now my Samsung Galaxy 5, which seems to have a very good camera. It's in my pocket until needed:)

BFF Patron

My gut feeling is they do not like cameras. So I vacillate and sometimes have them out of sight. But when I do hide them in my pack, then I fully expect to have a sighting and not be able to get to the camera in time. It is a quandary for me.

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic