Saving Bigfoot

I don't see a decline of anything, since I was teenager a lot of wildlife have actually increased in numbers in my area.

That is because they are managed, not ignored.

Yep, but how can you manage something if you don't have proof that it exists, aside from the woodpecker example? Even the woodpecker was known to exist at one point, I think that's the problem.

Guest tracker

Wow 3500 is alot of meaness all in one place. 35,000 is that number right ? what area is that number for, all of NA in total?

They use to have a lottery to go to Alaska (Kodiak Isl ?) and observe them salmon fishing in close quarters together. I thought about putting my name in for that if the cost. If it were more affordable. :)

Your "skeptic hat" needs adjusting:

If you're a "skeptic", you don't accept their existence, anyway.

I'm not skeptical that they exist. I'm skeptical that they are becoming extinct.

Yep, but how can you manage something if you don't have proof that it exists

By getting out there and beginning to gather the data, which the authorized managers have never attempted to do yet.

Wow 3500 is alot of meaness all in one place. 35,000 is that number right ? what area is that number for, all of NA in total?

35,000 is the estimated population of brown bears in all of Alaska. The total estimated population of brown bears for all of North America is aboutr 55,000/ The total estimated world population is around 200,000, and over half of all brown bears are in Russia.

They use to have a lottery to go to Alaska (Kodiak Isl ?) and observe them salmon fishing in close quarters together. I thought about putting my name in for that if the cost. If it were more affordable. :)

That's McNeil River. There are lots of other places like that, but without as many bears at a time. I prefer going other places, because McNeil River is like a "Yogi Bear Park", and is highly regulated (what you can/can't bring, where you sleep, where you stand/sit/, where you cook, where you eat, etc). Also, the bears are very habitated with the people. They'll come right up to you. I don't need that.

A good friend and his wife went there this past summer. Great photos, but I don't want brown bears in my lap, thanks. I'll pass.

I'm not skeptical that they exist. I'm skeptical that they are becoming extinct.

Why do you think:

1) There aren't 43 sasquatches in New York's Central Park? There are lots of squirrels..........

2) There has not been a single sasquatch carcass provided as road kill? There are lots of roads...........

3) Sasquatches are not seen daily on the hundreds of thousands of hiking trails nationwide?

Guest tracker

Hey maybe send me a pic or two in a pm? just the bears if its a privacy issue for your friends. I had a close call with one in Alb. Thats also where i had my close call with a Sasq too. It has a way of leaving you with haunting memory you can't shake until you face them again. At least thats what they say, face your fears etc. I ve come close but not eye to eye and there are no browns in Ont.

Opps, yea lets save the big buggers by not destroying their habitat, go team humans!

Hey maybe send me a pic or two in a pm? just the bears if its a privacy issue for your friends.

This is the same guy who had picked up a pine marten on his moose hunting trip and got photographed with it. The photos are not digital, and I'd have to scan them. I don't know if I want to bother him for the photos, but I'll see. Maybe I can go by there today.......

Edited by Huntster

Why do you think:

1) There aren't 43 sasquatches in New York's Central Park? There are lots of squirrels..........

I don't know that there aren't 43 Sasquatches in Central Park. I've never been to NYC. Why do you think that there aren't? And what could "43 not being in Central Park" possibly have to do with whether or not they are becoming extinct?

2) There has not been a single sasquatch carcass provided as road kill? There are lots of roads...........

How many people end up as roadkill out in the wilder areas? Most people that are hit by cars are in areas with more traffic, & more people. We don't generally step out of the woods out in the country & get hit by cars. They know what cars are, & they aren't stupid. I've even seen dogs & cats that have enough sense to stop & check the traffic before they cross a road, so why wouldn't BF?

3) Sasquatches are not seen daily on the hundreds of thousands of hiking trails nationwide?

How do you know they aren't seen, but not reported? Or maybe they are there, but the hikers aren't observant enough to notice them? Are bears & cougars seen daily by hikers on the hundreds of thousands of hiking trails nationwide?

Edited by Sasfooty

Why do you think:

I don't know that there aren't 43 Sasquatches in Central Park. I've never been to NYC. Why do you think that there aren't?

Because there are no reports whatsoever that there are sasquatches there, and there are plenty of people there to report them if there were.

And what could "43 not being in Central Park" possibly have to do with whether or not they are becoming extinct?

The point is that there aren't enough of them to be seen there, just like grizzly bears, alligators, and javalinas.

But grizzly bears, alligators, and javalinas are plentiful enough in other areas to be photographed, shot, hit by cars, etc. And there apparently are not enough sasquatches in other areas for even that to occur. Not even once (except the photographing has occurred, but in the case of the PG film, a good quality motion picture has only been accomplished once, and there has been no other such significant event even in that location since).

This is strong circumstantial evidence that sasquatches are significantly more rare than grizzly bears, alligators, and javalinas, even regionally.

So considering a viable population requirement somewhere near that of a gorilla or chimp, they may be so rare that their existence is threatened or even endangered.

There are only several hundred mountain gorillas left in the wild. They are considered extremely endangered.

If there are only a thousand or so sasquatches, it is very reasonable to consider them extremely endangered, and since mountain gorillas have such a small and extremely remote habitat and were discovered over a century ago, it is very reasonable to believe that sasquatches are just as rare or maybe even more so.

How many people end up as roadkill out in the wilder areas?

I don't know, but they end up as roadkill in their prime habitat (cities) by the thousands.

I once provided citations to people on another forum regarding road killed grizzly bears in Alaska over a ten year period of time. There were two. This is in an area that has very few roads (much fewer than any other state in the union), and quite a few bears (many more than any other state of the union).

So, two grizzlies found dead on the road in a decade in a single state, and absolutely no sasquatches found dead on the road anywhere.

This is yet another circumstantial evidence that sasquatches are very, very rare and likely endangered.

Most people that are hit by cars are in areas with more traffic, & more people.

Yes. Human's prime habitat. The area where humans are most likely to be found both dead and alive.

We don't generally step out of the woods out in the country & get hit by cars.

Sorta' like sasquatches not being hit by cars in the vicinity of New York's Central Park. However, the likelihood of one getting hit by a car on Interstate 90 in the Cascades is astronomically greater, yet it has never been reported.

They know what cars are, & they aren't stupid.

Humans know what cars are, are educated on their dangers regularly, and still get hit.

You cannot expect us to accept that all sasquatches are smarter than all people.

I've even seen dogs & cats that have enough sense to stop & check the traffic before they cross a road, so why wouldn't BF?

Dogs and cats are regularly found dead on the road, I've hit two dogs and a cat myself on the road, and there still has never been a sasquatch found dead on the road.

How do you know they aren't seen, but not reported?

They are seen and reported, but not even close to daily. There are grizzly bears seen daily. Mountain lions seen daily. Javalinas seen daily.

Not sasquatches.

This is yet more circumstantial evidence that sasquatches are much more rare than grizzly bears, mountain lions, and javalinas, even regionally.

Are bears & cougars seen daily by hikers on the hundreds of thousands of hiking trails nationwide?

Yes, they are.

Edited by Huntster

I can see why he did that, they are cute! :)

They are very cute, and kinda' neat to have around, but picking one up is asking for your hands to be chewed to bits.

Personally I don't welcome the Grizzly reintroduction in our area. But it seems they have already been in the Baker Mt. area so it won't be long before they're here too.

Unless poachers kill them (and they will), they will eventually proliferate, because there are no hunting provisions to keep their numbers and range in check. They are protected (AKA intensively managed)............

The one shot with a 223 near Fort Yukon in 2008? S**t happens. Sorta' like the possibility of a sasquatch in Fife Heights, Washington, or near Oklahoma City.

Young bears/wolves/wolverines/etc (usually males) tend to travel long distances on occasion and for reasons unknown by biologists.

Polar bears and brown bears are very closely related. And brown bears have inhabited polar bear habitat for eons. There have always been brown bears north of the Arctic Circle (at least in recorded history).

Sorta' like almas and humans.

Fair enough...based on your experience, what do you say to the contention that bears as a species are becoming more and more agressive and losing their fear of man?

• masterbarber locked this topic