Biped Or All Fours?

Guest mizzousquatchn

BFF Patron

Climbed many a mtn on all fours, lol (on the other hand---er seat---come down some faster than a 4 x 4 BF too). Some too steep for that and had to use the old grab and hoist technique even, lol.

Yes, I think they can and do go into 4 x 4 mode, no I'm not really interested in seeing one do it.

I think they do it for stealth, hunting, maybe for extremely steep terrain, maybe in conditions of fright and escape in tight spaces and I'm sure a few others.

There are at least a half dozen plus sighting reports out and about with 4 x 4 mode noted by many individuals and several BF organizations it seems.

Edited by bipedalist

Do you know of any precedent or support for a hominid (not sasquatch) being both bipedal and quadrupedal?

Climbing up mountains, trees, babies and children, even adult humans walking on all fours, that's not what we are talking about. We're talking about a hominid that walks around on two legs going down on all fours in pursuit of prey or escape a predator because it is faster than on two legs.

Edited by wolftrax

1. human hunters will crawl on all fours for stealth, not speed. For speed, humans run on two legs.

2. human soldiers will crawl on all fours for stealth, not speed. For speed, humans run on two legs.

3. Gorillas run on all fours, I know of a gorilla thread that had the gorilla walking on two legs, did it ever show it running? Most likely on all fours. Gorillas are built to run faster on all fours.

4. How did Oliver run, on two legs or all fours? Was he ever chased by a predator? Chimpanzees are built to run faster on all fours.

This is what you are dealing with, the report of sasquatch running after prey on all fours to attain higher speed. The reason you will not find support for this through actual known hominids is because bipedal hominids have a foramen magnum under the skull, not behind like in non-bipedal apes. This allows for the natural rotation of the head to see accurately what they are pursuing or what is pursuing them while running. Try running on all fours. Notice once you get going it is difficult to see straight in front of you or turn your head behind you while running, instead most of the time you look down at the ground in front of you.

Chimps and gorillas have the neck entering the skull from behind. This allows them to look up while running on all fours.

Edited by wolftrax

Guest The big grey man of ben ma

If we think that sasquatch bigfoot split from the family tree, i wonder how far back we would need to go, taking it that sasquatch

has a mid Tarsus break, and lucy at 3.2 to 4 million year old having had fully developed, permanent arches in her feet she had the stiff,

humanlike foot structure that we see in people but not in apes chimpanzees, gorillas etc.

My link

I saw two running across the neighbor's pasture yesterday on all fours. They were going so fast that I couldn't believe what I was seeing at first. I would estimate that they were doing at least 50 mph, or maybe faster.

If I hadn't already known that they run like that & they are here, I'd still be trying to figure out what I saw. Most people that saw them on all fours would not have thought about them being BFs. They were about the size of half grown calves, but they didn't have a neck, just heads stuck on bodies.

I don't see how they could possibly run faster on just two feet. It was absolutely amazing!

I don't know for sure. I guess I should have been keeping up with it. It has been a few months since I saw one, & it was fun getting to see these. I was driving up the driveway, & saw them, as I looked between two patches of woods. They were on the other side of the woods in a big, open pasture, but the trees kept me from seeing them but for just a few seconds.

I walked back there & checked to see if there were any cows in the pasture, but there were none anywhere around, & of course the 'foots were long gone.

I stopped counting at about 30 times. I don't know how many were the same ones, though.

Most of the sightings are like that one, so fast that there's no time for anything but looking.

That's why I can't get pictures. It always happens when I am least expecting it.

Do you know of any precedent or support for a hominid (not sasquatch) being both bipedal and quadrupedal?

We've not had the opportunity to observe the behavior of those other hominids. Sasquatch might be unique among them but not likely unprecidented. Since chimps and humans are so similar genetically, it shouldn't surprise us if just minor adjustments could account for a physiology that is more comfortable at temporary quadrupedal locomotion yet prefer bipedal locomotion for efficiency across long distances.

Actually with the Laetoli tracks, we do have an opportunity to observe hominid behaviour. Genetically related to chimps doesn't change that hominids have the placement of the foramen magnum on the bottom of the skull, indicating they don't run on all fours.

lmao!!! George... and little round tails and fuzzy round ears and claws when at salt licks...

Edited by wolftrax

They have been observed both quad/biped in various terrain.

Sounds like an answer to me. Yup.....they do it. As a matter of fact so do we. For individual reasons, in individual circumstances.

:D

Indifoot great anatomical poster

anyone got somemore stuff like that lying around?

• masterbarber locked this topic