Can Bigfoot Speak?

Guest Twilight Fan

Guest Twilight Fan

Sasfooty - I notice you said "you heard them" instead of "saw them talking"...so my question to you is this - how can you be sure it wasn't just a person talking if you didn't actually see what made the sounds?

BFSleuth - Interesting. Gorillas, chimps and bonobos have been taught to use sign language to communicate with humans, and some (like Koko) understand hundreds of spoken words and commands which shows how apes CAN understand human words. I don't doubt they could have conversations with us if their vocal cords worked to allow it...If Bigfoot is a more advanced or man-like species, one must ask if it could mimic and (eventually) learn human words?

Kings Canyon - You sound very sure about this. Why? (Am genuinely curious).

Edited by Twilight Fan

Guest JiggyPotamus

I find it plausible that an animal which has developed the ability to walk upright can also develop the necessary functions for certain types of vocalizations. I do think they may sound somewhat congruent to humans, given the similarities, but their larger chest cavity should give them a deep, booming voice. Unless of course it is a smaller one speaking. And there do seem to be different sized bigfoot, and that size is not dependent as much on age as previously thought. That is my opinion, but I have seen it addressed previously.

I am not sold on the chatter recordings, but I do think they would sound somewhat like that, and that is why I cannot personally rule them out just yet. I have not ever heard vocalizations from these animals, although that would be cool. It would seem that there are enough witness reports to somewhat safely conclude, or at least lean toward, the idea that bigfoot can mimic a variety of forest animals.

Given their unique vocal developments, combined with the fact that they hear these sounds everyday, mimicry is almost expected in my opinion. This does not show any higher intelligence to me however, as other animals can do this as well. My favorite is the lyre bird. That is one awesome bird, lol.

The howls are probably genuine as well, mainly because of their appearance in witness reports, but also because there are recordings of these howls that contain so much bass and resonance that a human would be hard pressed to duplicate them, if even possible. And it would take a very unique individual to even approach recreating these sounds.

In a way these howls are great evidence, but also some of the worst. Reason being that most do not see what is creating the howl, and not all howls are out of the range of human possibility, and could also come from coyotes, fox, owls, and mainly field mice...

It can sometimes take a trained ear to distinguish these wildlife calls. But, as I mentioned, there are calls that surpass the scientifically known animal calls present in the wilderness. Those are the vocalizations that are worth something, and those are the ones we need to record, followed by a professional analysis to rule out possibilities on a more scientific level.

So yes, I think bigfoot can talk. Does it have a language? Well, I will say that the other bigfoot "know" what one another are saying, so I suppose that constitutes a language. But, how many of these vocalizations, or chatter, between two or more animals actually rely on a purely vocal occurrence to convey information to those others? Could not body language play a large part? This could mean that their "language" is a secondary communication device, not unlike humans. But in our case, we are usually not consciously aware of body language, unless we have been specifically trained in on the subject. I don't really know, but it is something that should be taken into account.

I have been saying for years they can talk and mimic just about anything they hear.

Just a few of many recordings.

http://www.alabamabigfoot.com/bigfoot/sounds/SOUTHALABAMATALK.mp3

Scott Nelson has said this one is not a human talking: http://soundcloud.com/alabama-bigfoot/kttalka-the-voice-of-bigfoot

And a few cuts of sounds from different times and places: http://soundcloud.com/alabama-bigfoot/bigfootchat-cuts-from-different-times-and-places

Mike (watch1)

I've heard them chattering before, and have no doubt that they have some sort of communication capacity beyond the normal howls, whoops, knocks, etc. Jiggy basically said what I believe as well. I'm not sure if there is a sophistication to their 'language', where they could tell another to walk 50 steps, hang a left, and wait at the tree for them, but I'd imagine they have ways of communicating basic ideas, or words that relate to their daily lives. In the course of five minutes, myself, and my hunting buddy had heard knocks, whoops, grunts, and chatter from a group of at least three, that were triangulated at least a hundred yards apart. If the chatter isn't some sort of 'language', then I just don't see the need to use it beyond whoops, howls, knocks, and grunts.

Guest Kerchak

If bigfoot had a language he would yell HEY IS ANYONE ELSE HERE IN THIS VALLEY instead of WHOOP WHOOP KNOCK WHOOP.

Unless of course the "WHOOP WHOOP KNOCK WHOOP" type of communication is used because they are sounds that carry further.

For example, yodelling is thought to have started as a means of communication across Alpine landscapes. Obviously the yodellers could speak properly, but yodelling just travels further more effectively.

Guest Transformer

You can also check out Scott Nelson's presentation about the same here:

I understand Scott will be publishing a book about his research.

I checked the list of Linguists available on Wiki (not the best of resources of course but a good start) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_linguists and could not Find Mr. (Dr.?) Nelson's name because Iwas hoping to put him in touch with a Linguist friend of mine who is pretty astonished about his claims.

Does anyone know where Mr. (Dr.?) Nelson's last academic position was? Thank you.

Guest Twilight Fan

I have been saying for years they can talk and mimic just about anything they hear.

Just a few of many recordings.

http://www.alabamabigfoot.com/bigfoot/sounds/SOUTHALABAMATALK.mp3

Scott Nelson has said this one is not a human talking: http://soundcloud.co...oice-of-bigfoot

And a few cuts of sounds from different times and places: http://soundcloud.co...imes-and-places

Mike (watch1)

The first video sounded (to me) like birds chirping and dogs barking. Second video sounded like a frog croaking. Just when I thought I wouldn't hear anything out of the ordinary, the third video surprised me! Those are some very BIZARRE sounds and it does sound like a strange sort of chatter, followed by a whoop....hmmm. That is definitely intriguing. Thanks for posting those sound bytes.

Here is an interesting question: IYHO (in your humble opinion)...and if you think (or know) Bigfoot is real...do you think it can speak as humans speak? On Finding Bigfoot, I notice in a few episodes MM has said there are reports of people thinking they have encounters where the Bigfoot makes human-like speaking sounds.

We know other great apes are incapable of speech because their vocal cords are differently designed than ours. But, supposing Bigfoot is more closely related to humans than other apes (based on certain reports)...Do you think this creature can learn to speak like us?

The ability of human or human-like language is linked to the human SVT (supralaryngeal vocal tract), decreased prognathism, bipedalism, and the neural motor functions that evolved with these things.

Twilight, have you listened to the "Sierra Sounds" aka "Samurai Chatter"?

As a bilingual English/Japanese speaker, I love the notion that Bigfoot is suspected to speak anything resembling Japanese whatsoever, and should I ever come face to face with Bigfoot, I will try Japanese first.

3 free plusses to whomever can figure out what Bigfoot is saying here...

post-13-0-36789000-1330439846_thumb.jpg

Guest parnassus

"Paul is dead"?

"What the blank?"

"Who's yer daddy?"

"I can haz cheezeburger?"

"who's on first?"

"corporations are people?"

"can I get a witness?"

"who cut the cheese?"

"spare change?"

p.