Unknown Fur/hide For Identification. Probably Nothing...

Long haired goat. Interesting.

I've felt Bison- doesn't feel like Bison. It's softer/slicker like, well, human hair.

You're right. I now agree that is not primate. I surmised this since it couldn't be human, but nothing has this color...maybe a howler monkey :)

Edited by Sommersby

that is real cool. I've seen many pelts over the years and yak is the closest to what you have there but a more uniform color. Get it checked out ASAP, why would an old man stick to that story for a lifetime if he didn't believe it were true?

Whatever it came from had to be big as this seems to be a "sectional cut" with no legs/arms included.

Looks closest to goat!

Looks longer and denser than the goat though.

Get it checked! You never know.

Only one animal in the woods that I know of that has a two tone hide of the coloration of your suspected Squatch rug...........

Moose-Animal_000.jpg

I am pretty good a identifying hides and that looks like human hair. Its interesting that goat has been suggested as thats one of the finalists for a recreation project of mine. It is not ungulate as the hair would be hollow and brittle. If it has no under fur that pretty much rules out any indigenous north american wildlife that he may have shot. I would like to see it up close. You best keep that thing hidden until you can have it analyzed.

Thank you for everyone's thoughts on this. I'll certainly get it checked out as soon as I can.

Does anyone know the texture & feel of moose hair?

Has anyone here had success sending hair samples to get analyzed & if so, with who & how much?