Unknown Fur/hide For Identification. Probably Nothing...

UPDATE: Sorry for the delay. My job has been crazy lately, but I did get back the results of the morphological examination of the hairs.

They are NOT from Bigfoot.... at least it doesn't match hairs believed to be Bigfoot in the analysist's possession. And I trust this person's report.

Here is the analysis:

"I examined several of the hairs under the mic and did casts of the scale pattern on three of the larger hair. All of the larger hair were guard hairs. There were only two undercoat hairs in the group. I spent a lot of time looking at the hairs because there was a very noticeable difference in the imbricate scale patterns on the shafts at the distal ends (the ends which were tapered to a sharp point) and the proximal ends (the root end). The medullas of the differ hairs (guard and undercoat) also showed differences in that they varied from a uniserial ladder to a smaller broken pattern. Because of the length (about 9.8 cm) and the variation in the diameter of the hair from proximal ends (about 0.7 mm) to the guard hair tip (< 0.1 mm) and the unusual variations in the medulla and the scale patterns, it appeared the hair was not from a native wild animal.

My conclusion is that the hair came from a dosmestic goat, although no reference sample that exactly matched the submitted samples could be found. (I was hoping a good photomicrograph of a matching samle could be found on line so that I could link the site for you.)

The hair from one of the lighter colored (red, blonde, light brown, "pine straw" colored) BF will very closely match that of human hair of either of those colors.

Thanks for the hairs, I will keep the mounted hairs and the scale casts in my reference library. When I have time I will obtain hair samples from various goats and compare them to try to find a good match with yours, for the fun of it."

-----------------------

That's it. I said from the start to not get excited! Anyway, I do appreciate all of the ideas on this matter.

Now, on to other business... Does anyone know someone interested in buying a goat-hair rug with a great backstory?

I'm glad to hear that you took the time to get this identified instead of just jumping to the conclusion it was bigfoot hide because somebody said it was. I also want to thank you for being so open about it and showing everything. It's refreshing not having to deal with nda's and cryptic hints teasing at having possible evidence but not releasing any findings.

Edited by squating squatch

Guest Thepattywagon

"Now, on to other business... Does anyone know someone interested in buying a goat-hair rug with a great backstory?"

Just say you think it was killed and skinned by a Bigfoot. That should fetch a better price. :)

BFF Patron

IF it is bigfoot in origin,the variegated color indicates it is female.

And what genetics of Sasquatch rulebook did you come to this conclusion from? Just curious?