Unknown Fur/hide For Identification. Probably Nothing...

Guest thermalman

Get it DNA tested. There are animal DNA testing labs all over the country that will do it for reasonable rates. Good luck.

Edited by thermalman

You never know summersby, Dr. Bryan Sykes might be interested in testing it. Something I thought of is that I can take micrograph photos of the hairs. It might be fun for forum members to find matches on the internet if I posted them in this thread. I don't see an undercoat in the most recent photo's and one of them would pass for a pic of someones scalp if we didn't know better, so this is interesting.

Edited by southernyahoo

When I was doing taxidermy on primates at the Smithsonian I noticed a peculiar thing about the leather. Because of the oil glands in the skin, the leather tends to have small circles in it almost like pig skin. That leather fits the description. Also if this had a chance at being authentic, it should not be pieced together. I suggest you cut a small piece off and send it to Dr. Meldrum. It is obviously old, but that being said appears to be well tanned. Wow, maybe just maybe!

Yea, it certainly has those small circles. Does anyone have Dr. Meldrum's contact info... or someone similar who might be interested?

Guest Luckyfoot

IMHO Dr. Ketchum has her hands full at the moment. Let's not distract her. AND there's this to consider ;

http://www.bigfootlunchclub.com/2012/04/melba-ketchum-has-history-of-failing-to.html

There's a guy named Stubstad that's doing something similiar (was-is a member here prolly not hard to find him)

and there's that other Oxford -Lausanne study that was recently requesting samples ( I would give that one a shot myself)

best of luck.

Has anyone seen a Yak pelt before? I tried googling it and found some interesting colors, but they all appear to have much thicker hair. It may be a possibility though. Thoughts? UPs

Guest BFSleuth

You never know summersby, Dr. Bryan Sykes might be interested in testing it. Something I thought of is that I can take micrograph photos of the hairs. It might be fun for forum members to find matches on the internet if I posted them in this thread. I don't see an undercoat in the most recent photo's and one of them would pass for a pic of someones scalp if we didn't know better, so this is interesting.

For hair samples I believe Dr. Sykes is requiring hair morphology analysis by the submitter before he will even consider accepting the sample for DNA study. The first step will be for hair morphology testing. I would encourage Sommersby to contact you by PM to send some hair sample for micrograph photos just to see if in our rough collective understanding it might be worth the cost and effort of hair morphology analysis.

That offer is on table Bfsleuth, I'm pretty familiar with bear hairs, human hairs, and bovine tail hairs. We could probably rule a few things out with the hair length, presense of an undercoat or not etc.

If I purchased a 400x microscope, how difficult is it to do a rough visual comparison of the hair's morphology against the online hair database samples?

Perhaps I could rule out some species.

I've also gotten a couple of PMs from folk willing to do a visual morphological comparison who might have the know how... so I'm going to explore this too...

FYI- there is NOT A TRACE of undercoat/fur below the pelt/hair for those asking.

I have an amscope model m500A compound monocular microscope with the 1.3 mp camera.

Amscope has a store on ebay and you can usually find a combo package to get the camera with it. These are good microscopes and you can get their upgraded 3.0 mp camera if you want.

It would be a real help to have a reference manual on mammal hairs if you were going to do a whole lot of comparisons. Best we could do is eliminate the most likely prospects.

here's the link.

http://www.amscope.com/Monocular-1.html