Unknown Fur/hide For Identification. Probably Nothing...

Definitely not a Moose. Moose hides do not wear well and the hair breaks and sheds constantly. Wolves have a wooly under fur that is easily recognizable. If Patty was a hoax then maybe you found a piece of the famous costume as it's pretty close! lol If Sasquatches exist [and I know they do] then things like this have to be out there.

It's not wolf, I own 2 wolves and BFSleuth is correct about the under fur. The closest I think it comes to in appearance is horse tail/mane hair, it seems to have the same sheen. (But I am not saying it's equine just saying in appearance)

Just wanted to add that whatever it is it's beautiful!

Edited by Painthorse

Guest BFSleuth

Hmmmm.....no under hair, looks like human hair, story of bigfoot origins.....very interesting indeed.

You really need to look at the actual hide and make sure it is from a real animal and not man made. It has me stumped. Are there any seams in it? How pliable is it? Does it have an odor? Thanks for posting the pictures. UPs

Guest BFSleuth

I think when you open up a side seam try to open about 12" to 15", then you can turn it completely inside out. That way you can photograph the entire backside to see if it is several pieces stitched together. If it is one piece that would then note it is a large animal.

I think when you open up a side seam try to open about 12" to 15", then you can turn it completely inside out. That way you can photograph the entire backside to see if it is several pieces stitched together. If it is one piece that would then note it is a large animal.

He says in the OP it is several pieces stiched together. In my opinion that makes it doubtful of it being a BF, more likely pelt of several smaller animals sewn together.

But it still needs to be tested just in case. I wish he would stop teasing us and send a piece to be tested or send a piece to someone who would have it tested.

Guest BFSleuth

I don't have the impression Sommersby is out to tease us based on the OP. Let's give him some time to unzip a seam and have a look, and send out some samples for testing.

I don't have the impression Sommersby is out to tease us based on the OP. Let's give him some time to unzip a seam and have a look, and send out some samples for testing.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply teasing was his intention. I think we are all so hungry for something definative that we get antsy, the Ketcham report as example.

..Sommersby,

Have you had an opportunity to peek underneath the backing yet? I am anxious to hear what is on the backside!

Thanks!

Michele

I will this week. I'm busy with work related issues right now, but I will get around to it.

Edited by Sommersby

Try this hair labratory.

http://people.cst.cmich.edu/swans1bj/HairID.html

Dr. Bradley J. Swanson

Dr. Swanson's Homepage

Courses Taught

Current Research

Previous Research

ATCG Laboratory

Wildlife Forensics

Contract Lab

Species

identification

by hair

microscopy

Prospective Grad Students

Vita

Publications

Collecting DNA samples

Return to Biology Department

Identification of Michigan's mammals hair microscopy.

How to prepare hair for analysis

using light microscopy.

Grouping of hair types

by scale pattern. COMING SOON

Listing of the 56 species we

currently have in our data base.

Why wait a week? I can't sleep so I figured I'd go ahead and look at the old rug to see what I could see since so many people are asking...

So I popped just a few seams. It's pretty old. Dust/old skin/whatever billowed out when I squeezed the rug- yuck. Smelled like the old animals you smell at an old taxidermist.

It doesn't look at all like glued on hair, but original hide. As a matter of fact, the hide is flaking off as dandruff, as you can see in the pics.

I could take some more with a macro lens, but I'm not sure it will be worth it. I think the only thing I can do now is send it off somewhere- perhaps to the place Georgerm suggested.

One point to clarify- I earlier wrote that it is probably many sections sewn together to make the shape of the 4' x 5' rug. I'm not sure about that anymore. I carefully felt for seams through the hair across the surface, and I couldn't feel a thing. It doesn't mean that there aren't any; however, the entire lay of the hair sure looks like, for the most part, the original animal's- not some patchwork. I wouldn't be able to really tell how continuous of a piece of hide it is without popping quite a few more seams- which I'm going to hold off on until I get the hair identified from a lab.

Also, though it has been lying my study floor, it has been in a corner that is never underfoot. However, I've now put it away until it can be properly identified.

All this being said, I must again say that no one should get their hopes up about this.

I for one don't plan to be amazed until their is amazing evidence.

post-18414-0-12708900-1338863170_thumb.j

post-18414-0-46581900-1338863199_thumb.j

post-18414-0-58692600-1338863318_thumb.j

post-18414-0-62801700-1338863376_thumb.j

Edited by Sommersby

Thanks for looking and sharing! Would it not be so awesome if a cheap flea market rug turned out to be the real deal. If it were mine I would be overnighting it out to somewhere...

But like you said. We shouldn't get our hopes up. (But I'm still hoping!) Good luck!

When I had my encounter, I can't help but think that the fur on that rug looked very close to what the creature I saw looked like, the more I look at it. Inconclusive, but to me, it's very, very interesting.

Thanks for posting those pics. It looks like there is some ground hair too and they appear light colored in these pictures. Maybe that can narrow down what this is from. A taxidermist should be able to identify this or at least give you an idea of who made it (pro vs. amateur) and maybe even an approximate date. It sure would look good on my cabin wall! Lol