Operation Persistence

I think we can all agree that scientists, being a subset of people, are all kinds of things. Some are open-minded, some are closed. Some are cool, some are *****. Some are black, white, grey, straight, gay, Republican, Democrat, lefties, righties, etc. I reject the notion that because they are scientists they're one way or another. Science gives them a framework they can apply to the world, but it doesn't make them demigods or in anyway superior to those of us who chose other directions in their lives.

Hi,

Bipto - have you guys put any thought to how/why these Wood Apes move they way they do i.e. bent over at the waist?

Have all the sightings shown the same thing?

Do you think it's possibly to do with trying to be stealthy?

Thank you.

Lee

Alton Higgins' sighting from several years ago in central Oklahoma was of an animal moving similarly and at great speed, but over flat ground, not up a hill. There are other reports, some from TBRC members, who have also reported them moving in this bent-over fashion. One hypothesis is that it's easier for them to move through thick underbrush if they're bent over (it makes a smaller target for branches, etc., to catch on). It could also be that they're trying to create a smaller visual profile (stealth). We've had more than one sighting in X when they appeared to move like this. But we also know that they don't *always* do it. They often walk on two feet like we do. We just don't know enough about them at this point to be able to say for certain why they do it.

Thank you Bipto, I appreciate the reply.

Are they walking on their knuckles when they are bent over? So quadrapedally (sp) ?

If not, bent over might indicate stealth, perhaps. I am not sure how being so tall in the forest would be a benefit to them if they have to constantly avoid branches. The size of these things is one thing that puzzles me greatly, but I am sure there are other threads dedicated to this.

Thanks again.

Lee

Are they walking on their knuckles when they are bent over? So quadrapedally (sp) ?

The animals I saw seemed to be running bent over and not on all fours. The others who were with me could see that their arms appeared to be tucked up to their sides. That said, there are, of course, quadrupedal reports out there. I can't think of one specifically from X.

Thanks Oonjerah. i guess the ones that live in Florida are adapted differently, unless it gets cold there at night. I have no idea!

There are a great many number of large animals on the African continent that are large - it's hot there but cold in the night I think.

Bipto thanks again.

Best regards.

Lee

I feel as though I have been close, but the only animals I saw clearly were the two that ran up the hillside away from me. We have other members who have had clearer sightings of the animals walking. In one case - a sighting of the large gray animal - I believe the witness (who saw it step up from the creek bed up onto the bank) said its arms were swinging. The other instance I can think of, the animal was seen walking away and I don't recall the member saying anything about arm movement. His attention was focused on the back of the animal. The couple of other times, the witness commented on the large size and hight. Since they were mostly quick sightings, arm movement detail didn't stand out (as far as I can recall).

Thanks was just curious, as the animals I have witnessed here in oz did not have any arm movement the arms just hung by the body, the did walk with a stoop which looked odd

Cheers

Thanks Oonjerah. i guess the ones that live in Florida are adapted differently, unless it gets cold there at night. I have no idea!

There are a great many number of large animals on the African continent that are large - it's hot there but cold in the night I think.

Bipto thanks again.

Best regards.

Lee

The recent thermal video from North Florida indicates an animal over 8 feet tall. The reports from here that I am familiar with range in size, just like elsewhere. It DOES get cold in parts of Florida...We are headed for freezing temps as far south as Tampa on Friday. Also, remember, the size may have been determined when the North American climate was much different...Or perhaps they have only ranged farther south since the last ice age.