Operation Persistence

That would rank as a major discovery on Finding Bigfoot.

& would probably also "confirm" on a few aspects over on FB/FB ..... all it needs is eyeshine & a coned head to be a shoe in.

For those interested in hearing more about Operations Endurance and Persistance in person and speaking to the investigators involved, we've announced the date and location of our 2013 conference: Saturday, March 16, 2013 at the Ft. Worth Convention Center.

More information and tickets available at: http://texasbigfoot.eventbrite.com/

Guest Joe Fixit

After looking at all these threads...I am starting to get the impression that this has become a sight of primarily skeptics that just make fun of the idea of Bigfoot.

Guest RedRatSnake

After looking at all these threads...I am starting to get the impression that this has become a sight of primarily skeptics that just make fun of the idea of Bigfoot.

You have a lot to read and catch up on being a new guy, asking questions is a very healthy way of getting to the bottom of things, not everyone is convinced that BF is out there, have fun with it or it will eat ya up.

Now what's this: 75 bucks a pop for "VIP Benefactor Admission" at the Operations Endurance and Persistance Conference, Since when does a Bigfoot Conference rank up there with the price of a good Lynyrd Skynyrd Concert. :)

not everyone is convinced that BF is out there,

And not everyone who is convinced he is out there automatically buys any evidence presented.

Guest RedRatSnake

And not everyone who is convinced he is out there automatically buys any evidence presented.

Being a newer old timer of sorts, I certainly understand that, you can't reflect it all the time in a post, but I know, I wish more took that stand cause it sure would cut down on some of the static that seems to be associated with this field. :)

Skepticism is NOT an unhealthy trait. I would argue that what makes THIS board special (and it is) is the mix of skeptical/knower attitude. I have been on this board a LONG time (my account is new because I went away awhile, and forgot how to log on to it)...I have seen hoaxes busted wide open by members, and I have changed my view on some things (habituation, for instance) because members of this board, who I consider trustworthy, post information that I must consider. Bipto is among those I trust.

Some of us no longer choose to engage in "Yes there IS!" "No there ISN'T" arguments, anymore. It is what it is, and since I am not out in the field, pounding the palmettos for answers, there is no point in contradiction.

(And NO, my absence was NOT for a prison sentence)

Edited by Smitty in Florida

The last thread I read start to finish was the 24 page (at the time) Wallace trackway/squatch print argument, There was a lot of both sides good arguments, lots of real data, graphics, etc..I was, and am still, on the fence about that one

Edited by flashred93

For those interested in hearing more about Operations Endurance and Persistance in person and speaking to the investigators involved, we've announced the date and location of our 2013 conference: Saturday, March 16, 2013 at the Ft. Worth Convention Center.

More information and tickets available at: http://texasbigfoot.eventbrite.com/

Tickets to a bigfoot conference? Why does that make me feel that nothing of any substance will be presented? Where does the circus sideshow end and science begin?

RayG

Guest RedRatSnake

Well I don't know Ray, they do seem to offer some Science for the price of a ticket, or at least the word Science.

Jeff Meldrum, Associate Professor of Anatomy and Anthropology and author of “Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science †:o

Tim :)

Tickets to a bigfoot conference? Why does that make me feel that nothing of any substance will be presented? Where does the circus sideshow end and science begin?

RayG

Why would there be a side show? I will be presenting my work on South American Indians myths. I can easily present the exact paper at any anthropology conference. That seems like science to me. I've been to many of these events and I have enjoyed all of them. I learn something, I met new people, and I get to spend time with old friends. Exactly the same experience I get at any anthropology conference I've been to.

Guest RedRatSnake

Why would there be a side show?

Think you got one shot right over your head Kathy ~ Anyway ya! For someone into those conferences I bet it is a good time, but for folks looking for the hammer to come down on the truth about so many claims by those that attend them, paying to go see lots of people talk about a myth seems rather silly. :pardon:

Why? There are entire conferences were you pay twice as much to listen to folklore and ethnography. It's called cultural anthropology and there are dozens of conferences (local, regional, and national) held each year.

P.S. Meant to add - Hey Tim!!! Long time, glad to see you!!!

Well I don't know Ray, they do seem to offer some Science for the price of a ticket, or at least the word Science.

Jeff Meldrum, Associate Professor of Anatomy and Anthropology and author of “Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science †:o

I think you think I'm trying to be sarcastic, but I'm not. I'd truly like to know where the line in the sand, so to speak, is located. When science has something of note to present they seldom do it by charging admission, and if they do, it's usually called a science museum, or science exhibit. Sure there are geology conferences, and archaeology conferences, and anthropology conferences, and physics conferences, and all sorts of science conferences, but they usually have something tangible to present. Geologists present rocks and minerals, archaeologists present tools and artifacts, etc. etc.

Zoos charge admission, but when you go to the lion/tiger/gorilla cage, you expect to see, and nearly always do see a lion, tiger, or gorilla. If you don't, the zoo likely won't stay in business long. Circus sideshows charge a fee to peek behind the curtain or see the ghastly (fill in the blank), but even then, they're presenting something for the viewer.

I'm not aware of any zoos or circus sideshows where you pay a fee to speak to the zookeeper/sideshow carney but don't get to see any main attraction.

Bigfootery seems to be one area (UFO enthusiasts is probably another) where the lack of a subject is no deterrent for handing over money. I've done that myself a number of times with bigfoot books, but I wouldn't do it to attend a bigfoot conference, just so I could meet other bigfoot enthusiasts. What would be the point? To speculate about something yet to be proven? I can do that right here.

And this isn't meant as a flame at Operation Persistence, I'm just expressing my puzzlement at all fee-collecting bigfoot gatherings.

Why would there be a side show? I will be presenting my work on South American Indians myths.

It's somewhat of a sideshow because no matter what you are presenting, or anyone else for that matter, bigfoot never shows up. It's like a circus that advertises elephants as the main attraction, and after you pay your admission, you see all sort of acts, but never any elephants. If mainstream science is expected to be open to the thought of bigfoot, then treat bigfoot as a scientific endeavor, not a circus sideshow.

RayG

Guest RedRatSnake

Why? There are entire conferences were you pay twice as much to listen to folklore and ethnography. It's called cultural anthropology and there are dozens of conferences (local, regional, and national) held each year.

P.S. Meant to add - Hey Tim!!! Long time, glad to see you!!!

Hi Kathy

It is my feeling that some folks into this BF stuff look to you guys for leadership and answers, you guys like it or not are the top of the BF chain and the ones that organize and keep the field going in certain ways, when you start making $ from it and can't produce a product things start to get shady and people start asking why, there have been some blunders of sorts lately and frankly there has not been what I would call straight answers coming from the operation persistence/endurance camp and some other projects that are associated with the conference.

The DNA project has just turned out to be a mess IMHO, Maybe some distance needs to be put from some of these groups cause right now it all seems to be balled together and BF research is looking pretty grim as far as being legit science is going.

That's pretty much the best I can describe it.

Tim

I think you think I'm trying to be sarcastic, but I'm not.

That is certainly a possibly Ray, I do lean that way and make no excuses for it other then it leaves room for question some times, I mean no harm ~