Should Hoaxers Be Outed?

I am really surprised that this is even being debated. I would think that anyone that was serious about researching this subject would want to know who may be out there muddying the waters regardless of whether they were skeptics or proponents.

Sorry, it's kind of a Mexican standoff right now. I see no reason whatsoever to provide research on the subject to people I do not know personally or has someone I know vouch for them. Identifying key characteristics of fake tracks is a tool that in the wrong hands will result in future situations just as we have seen recently. There are questionable actions on a great many people feigning interest in the subject and nothing has happened with them. Some are still respected, others are not. So what... Hoaxing still happens afterwards.

I say hold onto your core knowledge and share only with the most trusted. I don't think it is a good idea to have public accessible databases of eyewitness testimony and details that would be pranksters and hoaxers can use. I don't think it is a good idea to have 3D models of tracks and casts. A person with CNC capability could easily cut plugs from those files... Making it seem that finally there is proof that repeat tracks are being found regularly.

This is 2012. The technology available today can accomplish almost anything... That is why the first order of business for the skeptical crowd is to cast as much doubt on the past as they can before showing what can be done now.

There was a movie made about a researcher out east who became so infatuated with Bigfoot and everyone laughed at him that he created a fake trackway. People from around the country swarmed the area. He finally came clean and realized he destroyed himself, not the people he hoaxed. It's a sad tale but right on the mark.

BF hoaxers do something very heinous. They take advantage of an already stigmatized subject with victims awaiting vindication. This is why what they do is serious. Having a BF encounter amounts to a lot of mental baggage OK?

My heart goes out to any researcher spending their own hard earned dollars on the investigation of a hoax. They should be recompensed that by the hoaxer.

Hoaxers are seeking to discredit the scientific community that gives BF real research. If that isn't wrong I don't know what is! How long has it taken to get the right minds on the subject?

So yeah there are 3 real good reasons to out hoaxers. No one should protect this kind of act. Would serve good notice to future hoaxers as well. That has to be a good thing.

Edited by Woodswalker

As far as a monetary value I figured it cost me around $500, what with time off from work, materials, mileage and time spent on the incident. So with all the others who visited the Elbe trackway, were talking about maybe close to $5,000 out of people's pockets. That's real funny ain't it!

Edited by damndirtyape

Absolutely they should be outed.

As to the quoted post, we again see the Skeptic tactic of conflation at work. The quoted post was from an anthropology student who put time and effort into researching and crafting a very high-quality product to try to fool people with.

That is NOT the same as JimmyJoeBubbaBob on the porch whittling wood. Not by a long shot.

As far as a monetary value I figured it cost me around $500, what with time off from work, materials, mileage and time spent on the incident. So with all the others who visited the Elbe trackway, were talking about maybe close to $5,000 out of people's pockets. That's real funny ain't it!

No it's not funny at all, but neither are threats of violence over a fake trackway that this person would most likely experience.

The threats are over rated, when was the last time you heard of a hoaxer getting attacked? Gimlin has suffered the worst at the hands of skofftics than anyone else. The threat angle is a scapegoat. The worse they would suffer is verbal slags on here,some nasty e-mails, and humiliation.

Edited by JohnC

It hasn't happened yet but as the integrity of the field further deteriorates I would not be surprised if it didn't escalate to that point in the future. I'ld really be interested in seeing the reactions to a hoaxer if any of these DNA studies come back negative or questionable in some way. The fury would be more intense, the stakes higher, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

They should be outed. Along with their helpers. Bigfooting may be on the fringe, but I think thanks to the BFF, that we consider ourselves a community. Aren’t we a group of friends who agree and disagree, but in the end, wish no ill will on anyone? I've seen us donate and have well wishes and heart-felt sorrow when sadness has entered into our personal lives. Remember when HRPuff gave $10,000 to the Tsunami relief because of kitakaze - remember when we cried because Fishbone35, Firefly, and Blackdog died. To think that someone associated with the BFF could so casually throw all that away breaks my heart. You really should be ashamed and you should come forward on your own, but I suspect highly you won't. Sad.

• Upvote 1

Guest wudewasa

What do you do with a bigfoot hoaxer?

On the Bigfoot Forums!

Put him in a freezer with Biscardi

On the Bigfoot Forums!

Walk a trackway until he blisters

On the Bigfoot Forums!

Throw him in a muddy elk wallow

On the Bigfoot Forums

C'mon people, join in with your creativity! Don't let the hoaxers win- WE WILL LAUGH AT THEM!