Should Hoaxers Be Outed?

Weakness. Protecting hoaxers is absolute crap. Maybe I was wrong to think this was the place to post real evidence. If this turns out to be a protect the hoaxer scandal consider me banned and my evidence posted elsewhere.

There has not be a single good reason given. The only straw man is the violence argument. This is a way for those who know to be cowards and weak willed. As someone who spends hard earned dollars and free time out researching I feel betrayed.

Hey maybe I should just be a hoaxer. Make more money faster and keep my reputation. Look at Rick Dyer. Thanks to the bleevers on this and FB/FB he has entered the profit stage.

Seriously think my time around here is done if there is a hoaxer amnesty program,

Edited by AaronD
foul language

@Mulder - Y'know, I've reread it a few times, and I guess I could have worded it better. I should understand that in cyber-land, the absolute worst possible inferences will be made.

I meant not to suggest, but rather to get a feel as to when one 'thinks like a hoaxer', if that would play a part in the frequency of hoaxes or not, by asking the question.

There certainly seems to be a fear of it as an afterthought, but not much thought put into it prior to the hoax - is what I'm inferring from the responses in this, and other threads.

So, just to reiterate, I would like to clear it up for all, I was in no way suggesting that anyone deserves physical harm for hoaxing, nor would I want to suggest to folks that they dole out street justice on those that do hoax.

If I could go back and edit, I would.

It happens to all of us sooner or later, and sometimes more than once. It's happened to me a time or two, though never on something this sensitive.

Props to you for realizing your mistake and correcting yourself.

no offense, but spoken like the victim of a hoax

How can he be the "victim" when he was one of the ones who EXPOSED the hoax? The only victim is our "friend", the Hoaxer, who got caught by his own booby trap.

Oh, wait, you're Ignoring me, aren't you? Well, then this comment will just have to stand as a reminder to everyone else of that central fact.

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

My initial feelings about it were, yes! Out them! But then when I started to think about it... What good would it do?

Would outing a hoaxer stop them from hoaxing?

Would outing specific individuals as hoaxers would make it any easier to identify a hoax, or attribute future hoaxes to anyone specific?

If a hoaxer was identified as perpetrating the Elbe trackway, for instance, or any number of YouTube videos, what would be the consequences? They'd be ostracized by the Bigfoot research community, but... So what?

I wouldn't think that a hoaxer's livelihood would be threatened if they were outed--most of the time. That's the only thing I can think of that would stop a hoaxer--"if anyone finds out I did this, I could lose my job" or something along those lines.

There are people that just love to play practical jokes. I think Bigfoot hoaxers are probably just people that like to play practical jokes. I don't think much of it (if any) is done with malicious intent, and I doubt it ever crosses a hoaxer's mind that their hoax might cost a bunch of earnest people hundreds of dollars to personally investigate their little joke.

no offense, but spoken like the victim of a hoax

Spoken like the victim of stalking more like. Think of it this way, he is a bigfoot proponent, and he has been affected so deeply by stalkers, that he wouldn't wish that on the person who tricked him. Speaks volumes to the character of some of the people in this field.

Edited by Drew

Woodswalker - Well, I think we all know who is the hoaxer by screen name. And yes, that person can change screen names and continue to post elsewhere using a different handle. Good thing this isn't a trial so we can all draw conclusions based on here-say and speculation - that's all that's needed on an internet forum.

I am very certain that this hoaxer's real name is known and has been shared with some of the players involved here, and that any sort of 'evidence' that has this person's name attached to it will immediately be held in a certain light.

But I do see the issue with putting it out on an internet forum - there are some pretty creepy folks out there.

So, while I agree with your sentiment that hoaxers should be outed, there is a line that should not be crossed.

Guest poignant

So the pertinent question is, what is not cruel and unusual punishment for a known hoaxer, other than an eternally besmirched name?

So the pertinent question is, what is not cruel and unusual punishment for a known hoaxer, other than an eternally besmirched name?

Perma-banning and messaging to the Admins of every forum that can be reached as to the fact that the individual is a known hoaxer and should not be trusted. He can always go post someplace where they for the most part don't care about integrity...I think we all know the place...

See, this is where I disagree. We all have different perspectives, and none are technically right, or wrong, but didn't the hoaxer deliberately put himself in this situation? This was one of the many possibilities of engaging in a hoax. Either you get away with it, get caught, or admit it yourself down the road. The collateral damage that comes with getting caught is part of the process in which he chose to partake in. I think we're getting a little carried away with the WITSEC angle, though, IMO. Fighting, stalking, etc, for faking BF tracks? C'mon, man! I hate it when people make assumptions based on somebody maybe hypothetically may break the law. That's on that particular individual, and not on anyone who outed the hoaxer. I think MM went a little too far with the name/address on Twitter thing, however.

It's not actually proven yet. There was a post in the premium section that someone was told an emails ip address to the BFRO matched an ip address of a user over here, but nothings been published yet confirming this.

Check the closed thread in the northwest sightings section, probably hints in there.

Edited by squatting squatch

Seems there are types of hoaxing all different.The guy that films a video and posts it as real is one type. This other kind that makes a trackway and tries his best to deceive people into spending weeks of their time and thousands of their dollars is unforgivable. I think these types should be sued.

I know violence isnt the answer but in some cases can be effective deterrent to not repeat the behaviour. This guy could be one of those cases.

Guest BFSleuth

IMO violence or even the threat of violence is highly unacceptable, more so than the hoax.

It is far better to simply out the hoaxer(s) in terms of BFF identity and leave it at that, or perhaps sanction the member(s) in some way. The correct thing for those involved in a hoax that has resulted in financial expenditures is to compensate the investigators, issue an honest apology, and work with the investigators to show how the hoax was accomplished for future reference.