Bear Grylls And Finding Bigfoot

Guest HarryAbe

In a radio show interview, Les tells his story of what might have possibly been a Bigfoot encounter he had during the shooting of the The Alaska-Survivor episode..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5aO5XdgT0&feature=related

One of my regular partners at work has met Les Stroud, and her ex-BF apparently worked with him as a river-rafting guide some years back. By all accounts he is a great guy, really friendly and sincere - what you see on the show is who he really is. That being said, he is a professional musician first, a documentary film-maker second, and a survival 'expert'/outdoorsman third. His shooting locations are heavily scouted out and he is thoroughly prepped for the area before he goes into it. Also, most of the later seasons of Survivorman were filmed with a lot of equipment stashed off-camera for him to use - the reason being that he has had his a** kicked pretty badly on some of the earlier seasons with bouts of giardia and cryptosporidium, and has a hard time roughing it out for 7 days anymore. He is also a pretty novice hunter, by his own admission. So with all that being said... much as I admire the man, Les would not be the go-to guy for finding Sasquatch.

Bear Grylls on the other hand is well-documented as being a near-complete fraud. His show is a perfect example of what NOT to do in a survival situation, and he is a showman, pure and simple.

Of all the TV survival guys, Ray Mears and Cody Lundin would be the two standout choices, hands-down. Dave Canterbury would also be up there as a super-knowledgeable guy and a good hunter. However, he totally screwed himself with his earlier exaggerations about his military service records, and was fired from Dual Survival as a result.

Sticking to TV personalities, Jim Shockey would have to be in contention as a pure hunter - I believe he is still one of, if not the record-holder for the most North American big-game trophies taken with a muzzle-loader. Put a proper rifle in his hands and he would be a fine choice for bringing down a BF, as he's hunted **** near everything on the planet at one point, from duikers to lions to bears to elephants. .

I'd vote Ray Mears. You can tell when someone knows what they are talking about. He goes into all sorts of climates and seems at home in each. I'd love to hear his opinion on whether he thinks something the size of a Bigfoot could stay more or less concealed this long.

He might point there to the show he did about the Bielski's (spl?) who hid in the woods from the Nazis for years.

I don't think you'd need to pay him for an 'appearance' as such, you just pitch it to whatever production company he uses, as a progamme idea.

Edited by icicle

Biggest animals in North America come from areas that only the richest and connected hunt. Private ranches and areas where the animals are basically farmed. Big game hunting is no test of woodsmanship. Especially what you see on TV. Sasquatch will not be found in the world of trophy hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5aO5XdgT0&feature=related

One of my regular partners at work has met Les Stroud, and her ex-BF apparently worked with him as a river-rafting guide some years back. By all accounts he is a great guy, really friendly and sincere - what you see on the show is who he really is. That being said, he is a professional musician first, a documentary film-maker second, and a survival 'expert'/outdoorsman third. His shooting locations are heavily scouted out and he is thoroughly prepped for the area before he goes into it. Also, most of the later seasons of Survivorman were filmed with a lot of equipment stashed off-camera for him to use - the reason being that he has had his a** kicked pretty badly on some of the earlier seasons with bouts of giardia and cryptosporidium, and has a hard time roughing it out for 7 days anymore. He is also a pretty novice hunter, by his own admission. So with all that being said... much as I admire the man, Les would not be the go-to guy for finding Sasquatch.

Bear Grylls on the other hand is well-documented as being a near-complete fraud. His show is a perfect example of what NOT to do in a survival situation, and he is a showman, pure and simple.

Of all the TV survival guys, Ray Mears and Cody Lundin would be the two standout choices, hands-down. Dave Canterbury would also be up there as a super-knowledgeable guy and a good hunter. However, he totally screwed himself with his earlier exaggerations about his military service records, and was fired from Dual Survival as a result.

Sticking to TV personalities, Jim Shockey would have to be in contention as a pure hunter - I believe he is still one of, if not the record-holder for the most North American big-game trophies taken with a muzzle-loader. Put a proper rifle in his hands and he would be a fine choice for bringing down a BF, as he's hunted **** near everything on the planet at one point, from duikers to lions to bears to elephants. .

Hah... Thanks for respectful inside info. Yah, I guess I did jump the gun a bit.. Just prior to this post I watched several of the survivor man episodes had gotten me a bit pro Les. Mostly as this post was initially a comparison of Les vs Bear topic. To make connection to your info, not that I'm a tenured outdoorsman, I've spent many years out in the wilderness from the Rockies to the thick woods of northern Minnesota where I've learned many safety, navigation, hiking and survival condition techniques. While watching a few of Les's episodes I was surprised how he missed some obvious mistakes in his doings; some I'm sure done so for the purpose of the shows entertainment value, building shelters and fishing is not some of Les's strength. But as you mentioned he is a friendly and sincere person are characteristics which I appreciate greatly in his style. Too many guy's in his field have ego's more often than not I could do greatly without..

Fun discussions..

Thanks again!

Speaking of celebs:

"Bobo think scary!" hahaha

Absolutely priceless!!!!!!!