Vancouver Island Sasquatch

Guest iislandgirll

Guest iislandgirll

Were the sounds by the tent breathing sounds, snarls, grunts, growls or what?

Did the kids find the caves?

Yes the kids explored the outside of some caves, don't think thoughts ones who have anything relevant , and I'm sure with the 2 areas of caves, there could be a lot more higher up in the mountains that people haven't explored yet.

The sounds were grunts is what my cousin said. I didn't hear thoughts ones. I slept thru that. I'd have to ask her again to be perfectly accurate.

Nothing was taken as far as I knew, but then it was a family camp out, and we had 3 fire pits going. With kids and people you can't keep track of everyone's things.

Was anything taken?

BFs seems to have a mode of operation.

heres a good island vid. .its 2kids get one peeking after they have a sighting. I always liked the vid.Van island is just great habitat.

Edited by BigSlick

iislandgirl You might be interested to know that the common name for this type of creature had its own name on Vancouver Island long before the term Sasquatch was coined on the main land in the mid 1920s. That name was the "Mowgli". You will find many old press stories and such referring to wild man sightings as the Mowgli. That name was slowly forgotten as the term Sasquatch became popular by the non native people all across BC.

Thomas Steenburg

Edited by steenburg

iislandgirl You might be interested to know that the common name for this type of creature had its own name on Vancouver Island long before the term Sasquatch was coined on the main land in the mid 1920s. That name was the "Mowgli". You will find many old press stories and such referring to wild man sightings as the Mowgli. That name was slowly forgotten as the term Sasquatch became popular by the non native people all across BC.

Thomas Steenburg

Here is what I found about the Mowglis!

British Columbia Mowglis

Tribe of Wild Men Roaming Woods and Frightening People

October 28, 1905

James Johnson, a rancher living near Comox, seven miles from Cumberland, B.C., reports several Mowglis, or wild men, who have been seen in that neighborhood by ranchers, says a Nanaimo (B.C.) correspondent of the San Francisco Call. Johnson asserts that they were performing what seemed to be a sort of “sun dance†on the sand. One of them caught a glimpse of Johnson who was viewing the proceedings from behind a big log. The Mowglis disappeared as if by magic into a big cave.

Thomas Kincaid, a rancher living near French creek, while bicycling from Cumberland, also reports seeing a Mowgli, who he describes as powerfully built man, more than six feet in height and covered with long black hair. The wild man upon seeing Kincaid uttered a shriek and disappeared into the woods. Upon arriving home Kincaid wrote Government Agent Bray of Nanaimo, inquiring if it would be lawful to shoot the Mowgli, as he was terrorizing that vicinity.

The government agent replied that was no law permitting such an act. It is reported that on a recent hunting expedition up the Qualicum River an Indian saw a Mowgli and, mistaking him for a bear, shot at and wounded him. During the past month no less than eleven persons coming to Nanaimo from Cumberland have seen the wild men. Parties have been organized, and every effort is being made to capture the Mowglis.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/mowglis/

Guest iislandgirll

Very interesting! Mowgli . Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know when the last sighting on the island was? If its been as long as I think, that's so strange. We see wild life ALL the time. Also to believe that they are so quiet for such a big creature. I find it really interesting how they can freeze in one spot when they feel they don't want to be seen. Wonder how long they can hold the frozen posture for?

SSR Team

I find it really interesting how they can freeze in one spot when they feel they don't want to be seen. Wonder how long they can hold the frozen posture for?

For however long it takes for what they perceive to be the danger, is gone or looks away for a split second.;)

Edited by BobbyO

iislandgirll,

Can't recall off the top of my head, but there's been sightin's from not long back, maybe a couple years, that I recall. I'm sure there have been more recent sightin's. I was talkin' to a older gentleman I think last year, he was hikin' one of the many trails round here(Nanaimo), I think Mt. Benson, he met up with a young soldier in the area who had found what he believed was a sasquatch track, only a possible track find, but stuff still happenin' here on the island. I'd mentioned it to John as well. He has two great books out on the subject, first one is one of my favorites, second is great as well, some great info..

This place...great habitat for such a primate.

Pat...

ps; A lot of animals do the same...be it out of fear, or perhaps simply to remain undetected. Ever see a cat stalk somethin' ?

Edited by PBeaton

Looks like you've found a new interest and hobby, islandgirl. Hope you stick around. You can learn a LOT from this place, as I have.

Here are just a few of the sightings from British Columbia and there must be some from Vancouver Island.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_county_reports.asp?state=ca-bc

British Columbia (Canada)

Show: Only Class A ReportsClass A, B, & C ReportsOnly Class B & C Reports

Reports:

• September 2010 (Class B) - Motorist witnesses a possible daylight highway crossing near Revelstoke
  • August 2008 (Class B) - Possible encounter close to the hospital in Smithers
  • October 2009 (Class B) - Possible sasquatch activity reported by a father and his sons near Falkland
  • August 2006 (Class B) - Motorists describe boat on trailer being shaken violently at night near Lake Cowichan
  • November 2008 (Class B) - Possible nighttime sighting of a sasquatch crossing a road in Nanaimo
  • May 1974 (Class A) - Woman recalls multiple witness daylight sighting on Shawnigan Lake
  • August 2008 (Class B) - Campers awakened by unidentified screams near Lumby
  • August 2008 (Class B) - Rural resident hears prolonged vocals near Lumby
  • June 2008 (Class B) - Campers describe possible vocalizations and a possible track in Chilliwack Lake Provincial Park (w/photo)
  • September 2007 (Class A) - Resting elk hunter smells and sees a sasquatch near Whiteswan Lake
  • March 2007 (Class A) - Daylight sighting by motorist on Hwy 4 near Kennedy Lake
  • January 2007 (Class B) - Strange, tall creature seen crossing the road at Kennedy Lake

Guest iislandgirll

My son just reminded me he heard something that scared him the night before I got there. He slept in the same tent, and the sound came from the same bush area he hind him. He said he didnt know what time it was, only that it was dark. He said that his flashlight wouldnt work either which made his experience spooky for him. He felt bare backed against this unknown sound, with only the tent and a bush seperating him. Hes only12. He said he heard snapping and crackling of branches, then a grunt like moan. Only short and once. ( like a big guy moaning as he sits on a low couch). He said that it didnt sound human tho, and not like a bear. Shortly after that his cousins all came into his tent to get him to come out to play man hunt. So he was releaved, and forgot all about it, until I mentioned my experience to him. ( maybe its an area where one sits and watches)

Island girl

There is a group on the island that does investigations and goes out to do research all over the island and get to togethers

for the mainland as well. The owner of the site is based out of Courtenay, they are pretty serious about the subject and

do a lot of investigating in that area and Strathcona Park.

Here is the link if you would like to know more or join. British Columbia Sasquatch Organization.

There was a possible sighting and tracks were cast near Deep Bay last September. Article and pics of the research.

I sent Lee the owner of the site the info from what you posted and told him he should contact you or you him.

Dave D.

Guest iislandgirll

I've been in contact with john bindernagel. He too is in Courtney b.c. Possibly the same group??. He sai that he is going to investigate next year August . I did mention if someone had a trailer or camper to sleep in, that the area is great for fall and winter camping. Really curious to see what they find.

Islandgirl, there are many people on the island interested in the subject. Most of the ones I know are in Victoria and study it very seriously, however I know of groups in Courteney/Comox area and Tofino as well.

Lots of sightings over the last few years, and a very rich history of sightings dating back to the native americans, from Machulut Harry to the strange tales of Forbidden Plateau, From Mowgli's to the Mesachie Man and Big Footed Devil.The problem is not all sightings are reported to the same place, there are members of the BFRO on the Island, there are members of BC Cryptozoology and other lesser known groups and then plenty of independents as well. Dr Bindernagel who is a friend of mine probably has the most sighting reports on file for the island because he is easily the most accessible and recognized researcher on the Island, his background in Biology and the fact he has cast tracks hes found have made him the go to guy on the island for Sasquatch research.

Edited by adam777