The Armchair Researcher

dopelyrics

Guest mdhunter
Right now I am sitting here wondering.. How many others are simply reading this site, who have had an "experience," and are staying quiet because of the non-stop drama over the things that don't matter one bit.

If I had to guess on this Mel, I would say way more people are quiet than most realize. Probably for way more reasons than the drama here. But the drama may add new insight for somebody that reads it.

I think the arm chair researcher has it's place. I'm skeptical but we've had our own weird incidences happening around our place. The game cam shows nothing and yet it continues to happen. I could chalk it up to coincidence if it weren't so cyclic but I refuse to believe it's bigfoot related until I see a bigfoot. I don't want to turn into one of those people that assume everything is bigfoot just because you can't figure out a rational explanation.

Having lurked for almost a year here before deciding to participate, it's been my observation that the biggest nay sayers against the drama seem to be the main instigators for the drama. If these folks have decided to approach the topic differently then I applaud them. It does nothing for enhancing the field except relieve the tedium of never finding anything definitive, which is frustrating without a doubt. I've experienced that frustration for myself at my place, despite my best efforts to discover what or who is lurking around and getting into my outside storage room.

Guest Grifter9931

I guess "Arm chair" research can be done, but in order for it to qualify, the source material has to be up to snuff. Most researchers who do studies have a partner who is in the lab 98% of the time doing lab work etc. Until someone/group starts using state of the art facilities and dumps a couple billion into Bf and his merry friends..... We will all be arm chair researchers trying to get to Bf nirvana.,.

If I had to guess on this Mel, I would say way more people are quiet than most realize. Probably for way more reasons than the drama here. But the drama may add new insight for somebody that reads it.

I'm sure you're right. In fact this is something many of us have discussed for a long time.

I call myself a Sasquatch researcher simply because it sounds a lot less crazier than Sasquatch hunter or Bigfoot hunter, but it still sounds crazy and I still get the eye rolls.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Can an armchair researcher have any meaningful input in to the Bigfoot phenomenon?

When I say that, I mean someone who has never spent any time in the forests of North America, but is vocal in their belief/disbelief in Bigfoot.

Time after time I hear: "Have you ever been into the field?" when someone's video or audio or research is questioned by an open minded skeptic or, oftentimes, an ardent disbeliever.

Is that a valid question to ask and is it relevant?

My view is that you don't need to go int o the field to have an opinion on a video.

But as someone who lives thousands of miles away from America, I realise that I am not best placed to make comments about the wildlife and forests of a country I don't live in. Those comments I do make are usually formed from articles/information I find on the internet. Does that matter?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Best regards,

Lee

A video is being posted to CONVINCE you of something that person saw...........are you allowed to draw your own conclusions? Ummm you had better, or there is a snake oil salesman right around the corner that would love to talk to you. :spiteful:

There is a certain Navy SEAL that has a quote about people claiming to be a Navy SEAL........"DO NOT BELIEVE IT". Out of a thousand times you might be wrong one time. Same goes for video and pictures of Sasquatch.........it's just not the medium that will ever convince anyone of anything.

As for making comments about a forest I live in that you do not? I'm not the world's authority on anything and I'm sure there are scientists in Europe that know more about certain aspects of where I live than I do. But at the same time there is something to be said about actually having your rear end in the back country doing it. It's all a matter of perspective.

Ultimately this forum is for EVERYONE to participate in, and nobody has the right to tell you to butt out of a conversation because you lack "credentials".

• Upvote 2

I've experienced that frustration for myself at my place, despite my best efforts to discover what or who is lurking around and getting into my outside storage room.

Well every armchair researcher knows that a camera trap will fix that!

Is "remote viewing" in the field or armchair research? :dontknow: ....

But in all seriousness, the bigfoot enigma can't be solved without both the field researcher and the armchair researcher....

Has anyone ever tried playing a hologram video of campers singing songs and cooking some dogs (or something similar) or even Patty from the PG film to see if that strategy

could attract a curious bipedal???....Using a video to get that elusive video...

Edited by clubbedfoot

Interesting idea, one problem, those hologram video projectors seem to have the same availability as self lacing Nikes and hoverboards at present...

Nah, it stopped.

So the camera chased off the would be prowler? Interesting.

Is "remote viewing" in the field or armchair research? :dontknow: ....

But in all seriousness, the bigfoot enigma can't be solved without both the field researcher and the armchair researcher....

Has anyone ever tried playing a hologram video of campers singing songs and cooking some dogs (or something similar) or even Patty from the PG film to see if that strategy

could attract a curious bipedal???....Using a video to get that elusive video...

It's been done, but not with hologram. The area was rich with activity anyways, so not sure if it made a difference. I don't agree that armchair folks are any use, unless they are helping analyse objective evidence. They may come up with some ideas along the way, but they won't solve the enigma with words alone.

Interesting idea, one problem, those hologram video projectors seem to have the same availability as self lacing Nikes and hoverboards at present...

Sad but true...

So the camera chased off the would be prowler? Interesting.

It's been done, but not with hologram. The area was rich with activity anyways, so not sure if it made a difference. I don't agree that armchair folks are any use, unless they are helping analyse objective evidence. They may come up with some ideas along the way, but they won't solve the enigma with words alone.

How about wealthy armchair folks who patronize cryptozoology efforts??......on second thought that might be harder to find than BF.....