The Armchair Researcher

dopelyrics

I need to find an armchair researcher here in Oregon that would listen to all my audio recordings from this past summer. I can only listen for about 30 minutes straight and I'm done.

BFF Patron

I need to find an armchair researcher here in Oregon that would listen to all my audio recordings from this past summer. I can only listen for about 30 minutes straight and I'm done.

What kind of audio files? What did you record them on? There are many talented people into BF audio recording both on this forum and standing in the wings. Personally, I don't have time for alot of that kind of stuff right now (except for perhaps some examples). However, if you ever have anything extremely interesting..... post it up or shoot me a PM (with an email) and I'll be sure it gets listened to by friends with trained ears.

In my experience, when I hear people use racism claiming they are not, or bring up the racist statements they are the ones racist. The person wearing a cowboy hat claiming they are professional rodeo athlete. Is someone who does not know what an entry fee is. The man in the bar, claiming to be former Special Forces Seal or Delta Force, when not on the subject. Is someone trying to be something they are not. I call them out on basic Military questions and they fail. The person telling others they're Armchair Researchers. These are the same people with clean shoes and not one clue the backroads in their own backyard or how to determine bear track from human. When ever I see these statements, or statements of Appeal to Expert, Appeal to Authority I laugh and literally ignore them. We have all seen and heard these people in crowded rooms, parties or even on "forums". I envy the person bold enough to even talk about this subject. Only for others to make themselves better than someone else. I tell people what I do, and if they roll the eyes, I ask them what they do for fun, then I roll my eyes. Arizona does not have a-lot of sightings as say Washington. But, when i get the chance I go. I also read, analyze video and carefully break down interviews for words used: past, present tense, verbs and mostly the details. You can tell a-lot about someone and the "truth", when they divulge details without being asked. This is true and is used for Military Interrogations, Police, or even the co-worker talking about how they were so sick the day before. ok, ill stop. Ancient Aliens is on TV :)

Guest OntarioSquatch

^I think I understand what you're saying. That sometimes people who don't like a certain trait about themselves will try to degrade others who have the same trait. In this case, it's armchair researchers :blink:

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Exactly, some often forget or ignore other factors. For example, family takes precedence, the disabled, money, time. Just because someone does not "partake of the search" gives nobody the right to call them anything less.

And then you have those that call themselves field researchers yet you never see anything other than what they post about it, here or anywhere else, it could all be make believe as far as trusting what you see on a forum.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Good point. There are a few people I wouldn't trust at all. It's usually their constant need to post unrealistic stories for attention that gives them away.

I hadn't owned an armchair for years, and just bought a used one a couple of weeks ago, then I turned up back here... hmmmm... :D

I've been wishing I could get out in the woods more. The ones close to hand are however not all that "interesting". Then it's been a bit of a money and time thing also, in that I haven't wanted to burn up $20 worth of gas for only an hour poking around. And with high gas prices haven't wanted to try "night driving" either. Somehow, although we've completely skinned and filleted the budget, and are also pulling in a few hundred bucks more a month than 2 years ago, we still have no spare money, ask me how that works in a "low inflation" economy. (Actually don't, it'll get political.)

I was previously having to drive around a lot more, and when I was done the "mission" as it were, I could stop at some interesting places on the way back, which meant it was kinda free.

Anyway, I'd say that I'm 90% armchair pilot, just trying to put all the info together to make that other 10% count more.

Guest Luckyfoot

Anyway, I'd say that I'm 90% armchair pilot, just trying to put all the info together to make that other 10% count more.

I liked this. Describes me well. And is a good jumping off point.

I used to be in the forest quite a bit , few years ago. It's a money thing keeping me tied down at the moment. I DID keep my eye out for BF/Sas.

I was just cruising through the forest, either 4 wheeling or on some long ass hike . Keeping eyes peeled , but not as tuned into what I 'could' have been doing had I the information gleened from these forums ( and yes , finding bigfoot).

From my perspective spending a lot of time here, and looking around elsewhere online will possibly make for a more productive or interesting outing in the future. I live in SoCal, and not adverse to driving to many of the sighting areas in the state. I WILL make out to Bluff creek, Happy camp, and a few others that are well enough known online.

Once the sheckles are flowing a little freer, The CJ7 will get kitted out for expedition. I'm taking cues from that guy who caught something while driving his cart around with a gopro mounted bkwrds. I've got a extra rollbars on there, perfect for mounting stuff like that...

SO yeah, I feel the armchair researching has it's place.

BFF Patron

Check your PM CMB.