The Armchair Researcher

dopelyrics

The "armchair researcher" could be compared to the "Monday morning quarterback" or the "back seat driver", and the phrase is often used in a disparaging way.

But research takes on many forms and each is actually of potential value in an investigation searching for a truthful understanding.

As the suspected bigfoot species lives outdoors in the field, field research is the primary way data is gathered for analysis, and the field work does entail a lot of physical and dedicated effort.

People (such as myself) who deal more in image analysis do tend to spnd a lot of time in armchars, but still do real research and analysis, and by gathering an scanning film footage, can bring new data to the table.

People who engage in scientific testing (whether it's building and testing costumes, or testing how earth substrates affect plaster cast footprints, or any other physical activities that test physical issues related to the overall phenomenon) may be doing lab research and that might be thought of as different from field research, but it is active research none the less.

Finally, people who properly peer review the analysis of others can provide valuable insight and make a valued contribution to the field, and internet researchers who research things like historical incidents and newspaper reports of olden days do also help bring worthy data to the table.

But the term "armchair researcher" seems to have come to be widely used to characterize a person who makes no constructive contribution, and simply seeks to disparage the efforts of others. The simplest test of whether the person's efforts are constructive or obstructive, valued or wasteful, lies in the consideration of whether they help clear up the many controversies and conflicts of the phenomenon, or do they just try and tear down the efforts of others.

Bill

• Upvote 1

In my experience with field work, most people calling themselves researchers seem to think that a good weekend game of "woods and wildmen" hanging out by a camp fire, playing music, smoking, making smores and communing with friends is Bigfoot research. Sometimes an ambiguous human sized print will be cast or a spooky sound recorded. While this can sometimes get in the way of the fun, they are for use on the empowering internet radio interviews that always follows these "expeditions".

Nothing is wrong with hanging out with friends in the woods and I find it fun, but lets call it what it is.

So what I gather from this, John.. it is hardly worth being on expeditions / camping for any value of investigation / research in this (so called) field ? I should call what I've been doing "hanging out with friends" or maybe just.. fantasy camping ? Your newer BF investigation group is the same, i assume ? Just hanging out, with nothing serious going on ? Sharing recorded sounds or casting a track is shared on these radio shows after expeditions,..for "empowering" purposes, and not for the hope of possible comparison with listeners or interested others ?

Other than arguing about nothing on forums and facebook.. this all is really just an adventurous / social crock of **** ? Should I take a burn to this, or just laugh it off ( and follow my signature line's advice) ?

Your JREF style post (not the first time) has been again, noted.

Guest Cervelo

Well that's what I call it camping, what's wrong with that?

Isn't that the only real difference..is the intent.

Beside when you tell people your going camping, hiking, fishing , ect you far fewer eyes rolling LOL!

So what I gather from this, John.. it is hardly worth being on expeditions / camping for any value of investigation / research in this (so called) field ? I should call what I've been doing "hanging out with friends" or maybe just.. fantasy camping ? Your newer BF investigation group is the same, i assume ? Just hanging out, with nothing serious going on ? Sharing recorded sounds or casting a track is shared on these radio shows after expeditions,..for "empowering" purposes, and not for the hope of possible comparison with listeners or interested others ?

Other than arguing about nothing on forums and facebook.. this all is really just an adventurous / social crock of **** ? Should I take a burn to this, or just laugh it off ( and follow my signature line's advice) ?

Your JREF style post (not the first time) has been again, noted.

Who am I to tell you how to feel? Your opinion or experiences in the field may be different.

Good point Cerv. When people hear I am going out "looking" for Sasquatch you can literally hear the eyes rolling. Way easier to say I am going camping/quadding/hiking.

Good point Cerv. When people hear I am going out "looking" for Sasquatch you can literally hear the eyes rolling. Way easier to say I am going camping/quadding/hiking.

Hey I like this..

In keeping with this spirit - Okay - I am going camping in about a week and a half !!! LMAO.

Who am I to tell you how to feel? Your opinion or experiences in the field may be different.

Please ignore my last question in post # 33.. as it would be personal for me to answer. Feel free to answer the other ones.. though, if you would like :) . Here is one more (so many questions) to try and understand you. Do you speak the same way to your eye witnesses, as you do here ?

Guest thermalman

research: NOUN: 1. a detailed study of a subject, especially in order to discover (new) information or reach a (new) understanding.

The word "research" is used to describe a number of similar and often overlapping activities involving a search for information.

You cannot research, what has not yet been located.

You don't need a discovery to do, or be a researcher.

Edited by thermalman

Please ignore my last question in post # 33.. as it would be personal for me to answer. Feel free to answer the other ones.. though, if you would like :) . Here is one more (so many questions) to try and understand you. Do you speak the same way to your eye witnesses, as you do here ?

Absolutley not

You don't need a discovery to do, or be a researcher.

Call yourself whatever you like, it's no big deal. If you don't need to find anything, why do you look? Why did you buy that thermal?

Guest thermalman

For research and researching, so when I do find something people can call me a discoverer, ;)

Discoverer

n. 1. One who discovers; one who first comes to the knowledge of something; one who discovers an unknown country, or a new principle, truth, or fact.

The discoverers and searchers of the land.

2. A scout; an explorer.

Edited by thermalman

For research and researching, so when I do find something people can call me a discoverer,

Discoverer

n. 1. One who discovers; one who first comes to the knowledge of something; one who discovers an unknown country, or a new principle, truth, or fact.

The discoverers and searchers of the land.

2. A scout; an explorer.

Good luck to you.

I certainly do not consider myself a researcher by any means as I am just an outdoorsman that is obsessed with bf. I do record audio and use cameras as a way to learn more about my surroundings in areas that I love to spend time in. The times that I have spent with others interested in bf have all been enjoyable and the people all down to earth (most of them anyway). The important thing to me is that those individuals spend time in the woods and learn more each time they go out. What I consider an armchair researcher is someone who never spends days and nights in the woods but will criticize information shared by others. They really contribute nothing and are usually just trying to justify their own beliefs or enjoy belittling others.

The other side of this are the people who have spent very little time outdoors and when they do, a strange noise or tree break becomes evidence of bf. The first time camping out can be quite scary for people and the more time you do spend camping, the easier it is to sleep peacefully and enjoy the experience.

In reference to Johns post about those that consider themselves researchers and have fun while they are doing it, this seems like a tactic that has been successful in the past and being too obvious has not.

Off topic, but I have a couple audio recordings that I could use some help with. If someone knows a way for me to download to share and then figure out what the heck it is, please PM me. UPs