The Armchair Researcher

dopelyrics

You're right UPs..

Not only have researchers said the whole "regular camper" attitude has worked for them in the field -- there are many, many reports from witnesses who were camping or in their own backyards - having fun or just gathered around the fire when they had a sighting.

Also, when investigating an area of a sighting - I think it's smart to do the things your witnesses say they were doing when the sighting or incident occured. If that means parking it by the fire, and just having fun - who am I to tell anyone they are wrong. :)

Well, you all can do what you want. When I go into the woods, I go complete with my bag of Oreos, my package of Bon Bons and I put my dress on too. Often times you can catch me by the campfire putting a new colorful polish on my nails too after I get my pedicure at the spa. I make sure I have a long stick nearby just in case a bigfoot comes along that I need to poke, I can't have him hogging the fire.

:laugh:

No, but seriously...getting out into the woods with friends, sure we are going to have some fun. There does come time to be serious once and a while, but we can't be serious all the time. I have to be serious at work all the time, I need a break from that once and a while. Who cares what we call it. Research, play, camping...whatever. I think Melissa said it well earlier and I've caught myself saying the same thing many times...when the fun is gone in this, it's time to let it go. I have made friends doing this (research, make-believe, fake footprint finding, hoaxed evidence discovering) fun, friends I would have never met for any other reason. If you can't have a good time and good friends, your world might as well end.

Guest wudewasa

I go into the woods as much as I can. Recently, work and high gas prices keep me from doing this as much as I would like to. I have nothing to prove to anyone, and if they choose to criticize my lack of time spent actively seeking sasquatches, then that's their call. My background in the field is extensive, but I don't brag about it.

The best times that I've had outdoors have been alone or with one of my dogs. People don't understand the connection to the land, just what is. Call me an armchair researcher, but I can live with myself failing to find bigfoot on a daily basis.

I understand What JC is saying. If you go camping with your family or friends to have fun and keep your eye out for a squatch, fine, that's cool. Just don't try to pass it off as a serious bigfoot research expedition.

Edited by squatting squatch

Billy Willard said:

Well, you all can do what you want. When I go into the woods, I go complete with my bag of Oreos, my package of Bon Bons and I put my dress on too. Often times you can catch me by the campfire putting a new colorful polish on my nails too after I get my pedicure at the spa. I make sure I have a long stick nearby just in case a bigfoot comes along that I need to poke, I can't have him hogging the fire. :laugh:

I have always thought you looked better in the floral print dress.. Oh and FYI - you are stretching out my heels - they ain't cheap - buy your own.. LOL.

No, but seriously...getting out into the woods with friends, sure we are going to have some fun. There does come time to be serious once and a while, but we can't be serious all the time. I have to be serious at work all the time, I need a break from that once and a while. Who cares what we call it. Research, play, camping...whatever. I think Melissa said it well earlier and I've caught myself saying the same thing many times...when the fun is gone in this, it's time to let it go. I have made friends doing this (research, make-believe, fake footprint finding, hoaxed evidence discovering) fun, friends I would have never met for any other reason. If you can't have a good time and good friends, your world might as well end.

You know - I had a thought this morning... When I first became involved in this people used to tell me all the time, "Melissa, you're way to serious - all the time - you need to loosen up and have some fun..."Now - people want me to go back to "serious 24/7" ?? LOL

I say this.. Enjoy yourself. Do the job you went into the woods to do - but there is no law that states you can't enjoy yourself and those you choose to spend your time with. Is there a law - or some rule? No. Maybe some just need to focus more on their own field work - and less on what they think others are doing?

I couldn't care less what others do. If it makes them happy and they are conducting honest research - and it keeps more "boots in the field" - why in the world would anyone want to take that away from someone? Seems silly to me.

This is where, "If you ain't paying my way - you don't have a say" - comes into play.

Well, you can say something - odds are though - I won't even pause long enough to care. Life is too short and I plan on enjoying everything I do :)

My hope is that everyone else does too.

Edited by Melissa

Guest wudewasa

I understand What JC is saying. If you go camping with your family or friends to have fun and keep your eye out for a squatch, fine, that's cool. Just don't try to pass it off as a serious bigfoot research expedition.

So, what constitutes a serious bigfoot expedition?

FLIR and night vison, ghillie suits, firearms designed to drop a squatch at 500 yards? Is anyone who can't afford these items a pathetic twit that must submit to the high and mighty field demigods of squatchery?

Is there a special dress code that is necessary, maybe a badge or decoder ring?

Does one have to research with a special group of people that do eveything better than everyone else?

Are certain food items, objects that would interest a saquatch paramount, and should these items be prepared in a secret squirrel manner that armchair researchers would never understand?

What techniques should be used to attract bigfoot? What is the right way, the best practice, the actions that won't make the "real and cutting edge" field researchers stick their noses up at the unprofessional, amateur researchers?

Because, those armchair researchers never get out in the field and therefore know nothing, but serious field researchers are superior and can call the shots.

Some people in this community make me shake my head and laugh.

end cynical, sarcastic post...

Edited by wudewasa

Wud you said:

Does one have to research with a special group of people that do eveything better than everyone else?

Excellent observations by the way.. But, you went into a statement that will bring us back to "experts"..

Do you see how all this comes back full circle? A vicious circle but a circle none the less......... LOL.

Guest wudewasa

Yes Mel, I do. I don't see any experts in the realm of squatchery, as people fall prey to hoaxes whether in field or armchair, and so called experts have produced nothing but purported sounds, footprints, fuzzy images and such. Then, there is the cryptic "we have evidence but refuse to share with skeptics and scoftics." argument.

The bickering amongst researchers is pathetic yet hilarious, but grows tiresome and is the reason, along with no good evidence as to why people don't take this stuff seriously.

I agree with you. But, you and I both know, the majority of the time the only reason the word "expert" is used - is to insult someone.

I agree also - the fighting is pathetic. No one knows more than anyone else - and that applies to the skeptic. They can no more prove Bigfoot is not out there, than I can prove, it is. So - I guess when it all comes down to it - we are all on the same playing level.

The constant need to fight, insult and degrade others for simply doing something they don't - is sad. But, whatever makes people happy I guess. One thing is for certain, if you enjoy beating people up on the internet - the field of Bigfoot Research is right for you !!! Oh, just make sure you call yourself a skeptic ..

Guest missleecy

After observing these forums for the past year I wanted to jump in too!

As far as "armchair" and "field" is concerned, at this point in time, with no ultimate proof, it really doesnt make either one an "expert" in the field. How can you be an expert if there is no scientific proof? So the point of being an armchair vs field is MOOT.

I do believe in these creatures and have had a experiences that I know came from "something" huge.

Makes me laugh when someone is labeled an "expert" in the field of bigfoot research. Everyone gives advice on "how to act" in the field. Use this equipment/use that equipment, sasquatch do this, sasquatch do that, etc...............

I really think none of that matters. If a sasquatch wants to be seen, it will be.

So in my opinion, it doesnt matter at this point as to who is the better researcher.

Excellent first post Missleecy..

When someone views the conversations going on between researchers and skeptics for a year - and comes in to say this - it should really give us all something to think about.

Missleecy is absolutely right - AND - probably what most "interested" people in the general public would say to us also.

Right now I am sitting here wondering.. How many others are simply reading this site, who have had an "experience," and are staying quiet because of the non-stop drama over the things that don't matter one bit.

Well that's what I call it camping, what's wrong with that?

Isn't that the only real difference..is the intent.

Not a thing wrong with it (calling it camping), and having a great time and experience while you are out there... despite the lack of any results worthy to this forum, that might be noted, recorded, or cast in the field.

Very true, the only difference is the intent of why I am out there... regarding a group expedition with like minded others, hoping to experience something.

As far as the armchair researcher.. their opinion is just as valuable as mine, or anyone that frequents the field. Results from the field, have only caused me to ponder more questions vs. being able to explain any of it, to anyone. An armchair researcher can formulate an opinion or theory .. same as anyone in the field. They are only lacking... the still unexplained events, that could be experienced in the field. They just can't call themselves.. a camper, yet :no:

The big problem that I have with armchair researchers is the constant litanies as to how "if they had BF in their back yard", they would have volumes of video & pictures, and tons of evidence. They would be rich beyond measure, & anyone that hasn't accomplished all these amazing feats is either "lying, lazy, stupid, insane, inconsiderate, incompetent, not trying hard enough, or all of the above". Then they proceed to ridicule every piece of evidence that is presented.

They're full of ideas, most of which have already been tried & found lacking in the real world. Yet they insist that if their excellent advice had been tried, "this mess could have been wrapped up years ago".

My advice to the armchair researchers is try it before they criticize others' efforts.

• Upvote 1

Guest VioletX

The big problem that I have with armchair researchers is the constant litanies as to how "if they had BF in their back yard", they would have volumes of video & pictures, and tons of evidence. They would be rich beyond measure, & anyone that hasn't accomplished all these amazing feats is either "lying, lazy, stupid, insane, inconsiderate, incompetent, not trying hard enough, or all of the above". Then they proceed to ridicule every piece of evidence that is presented.

They're full of ideas, most of which have already been tried & found lacking in the real world. Yet they insist that if their excellent advice had been tried, "this mess could have been wrapped up years ago".

My advice to the armchair researchers is try it before they criticize others' efforts.

Very true.

There is a learning curve to Bigfoot, but some people cannot get past that and do not fully comprehend their innate, intelligent elusiveness.