The Armchair Researcher

dopelyrics

This is a great topic. I wouldn't consider any kind of a researcher at all. My demographic is the average Joe who saw something he couldn't explain and has never been able to get it out of his head.

Einstein didn't get out in the field. I don't think he spent much time in a lab. But, he provided great contributions to physics. Heck, he wrote his paper on special relativity while working as a patent clerk.

Guest Kerchak

Everyone on this forum is an armchair researcher at least part of the time.

I actually don't own an armchair. I have a nice comfy L shaped couch and a small swivel chair for the computer. :onthequiet:

What are we trying to figure out? Do field researchers have more verifiable evidence of Bigfoot's existence than armchair researchers? No. Keep on truckin'

Is that a call for somebody to squash a Biggie on the grill of his/her Mack? :o

Guest Transformer

Spoken like a true arm chair scofftic Drew, thanks for the input, and keep on truckin

Is that supposed to be a slight? Is he wrong?

It is obviously intended as a slight and Drew is not wrong. With the complete lack of any verifiable evidence to date and the demise of the great DNA paper that so many were basing their hopes on it is obvious that tempers are going to get even shorter in here until the next great hope comes along.

I'm not an armchair skoftic. I am an In-the-woods-skoftic.

I am out in the woods alot, looking for wildlife, I would be happy to add Bigfoot to my inaturalist.org page if he ever showed up. I was merely pointing out, that it doesn't seem to influence the amount of evidence gathered, whether you are in an armchair or out in the woods.

Is that a call for somebody to squash a Biggie on the grill of his/her Mack? :o

Actually, it was intended to tell the armchair researchers to keep going, don't let the ELITE RESEARCHERS tell you that armchair research isn't helpful. Many of the people here have never left their house to go look for Bigfoot, and they are still tied with the people out in the field for Amount of verifiable evidence. So, carry on. (keep on truckin)

The armchair investigator is as valid as a field investigator. I hate the use of the word researcher. You cannot research, what has not yet been located.

In my experience with field work, most people calling themselves researchers seem to think that a good weekend game of "woods and wildmen" hanging out by a camp fire, playing music, smoking, making smores and communing with friends is Bigfoot research. Sometimes an ambiguous human sized print will be cast or a spooky sound recorded. While this can sometimes get in the way of the fun, they are for use on the empowering internet radio interviews that always follows these "expeditions".

Nothing is wrong with hanging out with friends in the woods and I find it fun, but lets call it what it is.

Edited by JohnCartwright

Guest thermalman

RESEARCH

NOUN

1: careful or diligent search

2: studious inquiry or examination; especially: investigation or experimentation aimed at the discovery and interpretation of facts, revision of accepted theories or laws in the light of new facts, or practical application of such new or revised theories or laws

3: the collecting of information about a particular subject

VERB

1: to search or investigate exhaustively <research a problem>

2: to do research for <research a book>

intransitive verb

: to engage in research

There seems to be nothing wrong with using the word researcher for those who are engaging in the search for BF :)

Edited by thermalman

research: NOUN: 1. a detailed study of a subject, especially in order to discover (new) information or reach a (new) understanding.

The word "research" is used to describe a number of similar and often overlapping activities involving a search for information.

You know, I was given an excellent piece of advice from someone who has been in this far longer than me, a while back. This applies to the Armchair Researcher as well as the Field Researcher..

Have fun doing what you do - when it stops being fun maybe it's time to take a break or do something else.

Personally, I really enjoy meeting people who are interested in this field research - people I have never been in the field with before. It doesn't matter what you call yourself - just have fun and enjoy your time. I love hearing different perspectives and ideas. I have said this a million times - but here we go again - I get some very good advice and ideas from people who are new to this. Why? They are not bogged down in the drama. They look at things differently than those of us who have been involved for a period of time.

Something this interesting - shouldn't have to be a source of drama and stress. Really, whether you call yourself an armchair or field researcher --- just have fun.. Surround yourself with like minded people - and have as much fun as you can.

Life is too short. :)

Also agreed. I was trying to explain to Dopelyrics what really goes on in the woods and that for most, it is all about fun. As some 'researchers" do it differently.

Edited by JohnCartwright

Agreed

:thumbsup:

Also, you're right. The word "researcher" does apply. But honestly, at the end of the day, I don't care if someone wants to call themselves the "Grand Poobah of bigfoot research," a "Field Researcher," or an "Armchair Researcher." Worrying about "titles" is just more drama - which answers nothing. LOL.

When we allow ourselves to be drug down by the things that make no difference - we take our eyes off the goal. :)

Edited by Melissa

Guest thermalman

Worrying about "titles" is just more drama - which answers nothing. LOL.

When we allow ourselves to be drug down by the things that make no difference - we take our eyes off the goal. :)

Isn't that a fact? :) Life is to short for some of the things we let ourselves get caught up in. Usually, meaningless in the end.

It really is Thermalman. Don't get me wrong, I understand how it can happen - and I have even had to pull myself back from the larger community. I was caring more about what others thought - and less about how I wanted to conduct my own research. There was nothing wrong with the way I was conducting my research - but I let all the drama get in my head - and when that happens it's time to pull away and figure out what is really important. :)

People will always proclaim they know more than someone else. Their work is better. This person doesn't do this right or that. But, in the end - what difference has it made? We still do not have definitive proof. So, all the complaints about what others are doing in the field or calling themselves really amounts to not much other than lip service - or an attempt to get under your skin for their own amusement.

AND - I guarantee you - those who scream the loudest about the "titles" and what others do - are at the end of the day - no better.. So, you need to be happy with how you conduct yourself and do what you need to do. First you must be happy with how you conduct yourself and if you are - NOTHING else matters.

If others don't like what you do in the field or on the computer - they can either pay your way and be your boss - or do things better and get the proof they say your missing by doing so much more wrong. LOL.

I just ignore them. They are not adding anything to my field work anyway. :)

NOTHING else matters

Hey isn't that a song? LOL.

Edited by Melissa