The Nakani

I wanted to make a thread about the Nakani in northern Canada and my efforts to confirm there existence. From the little information I have they are a hairy relic hominid so I think that classifies them in the Sasquatch category.

The last reported sighting was in 1964, a hairy man wearing a loin cloth and carrying a stone club was seen. Local hunters gave chase but they couldnt catch him. They are said to be cannibals who steal women or girls. They are not friendly, and are feared to this day, this is not some old legend.

When we go into the bush we never leave our guns or knives outside overnight. We lock our cabin door and pull the curtains at night even though our cabin is 135 km up river from the Hamlet I live in. I don't lock my door in town but I do in the bush (kinda backwards).

I'll start with the story's I've heard,

My brother in law told me when he was a boy in the early 80s they would hear whistling from the bush surrounding there cabins where they used to live. On one particular day the whistling was quite close and persistent so his older brothers began shooting into the trees trying to scare the Nakani away. The whistles stopped and everybody went on with their day. Then two days later his dad was in the bush cutting spruce poles with his hatchet, as he brought the axe up beside his head he heard a bang and something brushed his shoulder. He ran back to their cabins where they discovered he had been shot at with a shot gun. An investigation revealed an old shotgun shell and his axe with shot marks on it(they figured it was the axe that saved his life).

Now this can be written off as a person with a grudge or something like that but that's not the way they see it. It was the Nakani with a stolen gun

My other brother in law said when he was a boy he was playing in the river with a toy boat tied to a stick when a large rock was thrown from the bush into the water beside his boat. He said he was alone and it was not any of his brothers.

One of my friends told me his son shot a beaver and gave it to him. He put it on his table outside of his cabin and was going to deal with it in the morning. The next day the beaver was gone. He looked around and found it over by the river. He said the beaver was skinned out except for the hands and feet and the head. The body was gone only the skin was left. He said it wasn't ripped apart by animals it was cleaned as though he had skinned it himself.

There is a man that lives here in town he went into the bush with his wife,two daughters and his brother in law. They had some drinks that night and went to sleep. The next morning his wife and daughters were gone. The boat was also gone so they thought they had gone back to town. They eventually flagged down someone else, told them what happened and caught a ride back to town. On the way though they found the boat floating up against a log jam with no sign of his wife or daughters.

There are a few theory's of what happend but I lean towards the Nakani stealing them in the night and untieing the boat to throw off the search.

I hope to collect some more story's and will post them as I do

Now things that have happend to me other than the dog frequently barking at something across the river (which could be anything)

One time my friend and i went up river to my cabin. We got there tied up the boat, walked up the bank and started to take off our life jackets. Just then within 30sec of our arrival a large spruce snag fell over. It was maybee 50 feet from where we were standing and there was no wind. Neither of us wanted to investigate too badly so that one is gonna have to remain unsolved.

Later on that summer my Dad was up for a visit so we went to the cabin for a few days. We were taking a break inside and twice a rock hit the roof and rolled/bounced down. It was no stick and it was too sharp of a noise for a spruce cone(plus there isn't a spruce tree directly above my cabin)

Also when my dad was there our dog was gone for awhile and when she came back her face was smeared with $#!+(pardon my language). That has never happend before and was quite weird. The first thing I thought was that someone had rubbed her face in it because it was to messy for her to have done it herself.

None of this is very conclusive I know but it's a start.

I have a few videos I took pretending to shoot forwards but I was holding the camera backwards over my shoulder. Once I get home I'll download them. I don't think there is any thing in them but they could use a second opinion.

I welcome anyones advice or questions and would appreciate any info on the Nakani anyone can dig up

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

This is a really interesting topic. Thanks for starting it! Unfortunately I am new to this subject and live in Texas, so I don't have anything to contribute to your search for info. Are you looking for accounts of personal experiences, in particular?

Jen Jen,

Ideally I would like to hear accounts of other peoples experiences with the Nakani but I'm probably the only one from northern Canada on this forum. I'm looking for some advice on how I can get a sighting or make some sort of contact with them. I know they are considerd to be dangerous in generally up to no good but my curiosity gets the best of me. If you have any relatable experiences or tips, I would appreciate hearing them.

Mapletoffee,

The Nakani are said to inhabit all of the north from Alaska to Nunavut. Every area has a different name for them though. I live in the Deh Cho region. You can PM me if you want a better answer I don't think I'm allowed to get to specific on the open forum. Google earth the area around the Yukon and NT border. It really makes you wonder what could be out there.

I think I heard a NA on television talking about them. If I recall correctly, they were considered very bad luck to talk about. During the filming they had tribal holy man standing by to conduct a blessing on the witness once the interview was concluded.

Edited by Florida reader

Florida reader,

Where I live i don't think it's considered bad luck to talk about them. It's considered bad to joke about them or talk about them in a disrespectful manner.

it would be nice to watch that show, if you remember the name I wouldn't mind to check it out.

I didn't have much luck googling Nakani........but I did have luck with the term Nuk Luk:

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-top-five-paranormal-places-northwest-territories-5581469.html?cat=37

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuk-luk

http://www.paranormalpeopleonline.com/bringing-sasquatch-home-a-comparative-study/

Nahani Butte in the Canadian Northwest Territories is the reported home to Nuk-luk , translated from Inuit as ‘Man of the Bush’, and the only real difference between Nuk-luk and Sasquatch might be that local legend paints the Man of the Bush to be much more like a Neanderthal type creature than an ape, though it is purported to have long hair, a broad and stocky musculature and an odd smell. There is indication in early reports of Nuk-luk that it has adapted a culture of its own, wearing crude boots and using stone tools, but there is very little real information due to the extremely remote locale.

The earliest known report of Nuk-luk outside of Inuit culture was in 1964, but local Eskimo stories suggest that the creature(s) have been living in the area of Nahani Butte for more than 3000 years.

• Height- Between 6 and 8 feet, no taller than 10 foot

• Weight- Estimated via sightings at 300-400lbs

• Hair/Complexion- Fine but thick hair over it’s back and arms, medium light coloured skin

• Common Characteristics- Strong smell always associated with sightings, known to have adapted the use of loin cloths and other skins, as well as stone tools such as hammers and crude cutting implements

Though this is a comparison of only four out of more than 24 widely known examples, and even more lesser known wild-man traditions, there is already an easily recognised similarity between these descriptions. From a certain distance, it appears that there is plenty of evidence to conclude that all wild-man legends are derived from the same species of uknown early hominid, but on closer inspection the differences aren’t always easily reconciled.

Ultimately what we come up with here is a collection of sketchy, strange and obviously fairytale like stories about hairy bogeymen and missing link hominids around the world. And I admit that there need be no specific link between each case for there to be scientific merit in seeking the truth of each legend, but when one lines up all of the various wild man traditions, it’s difficult not to see a resemblance between them. Does that resemblance have a deeper meaning, or is it just a superficial connection? Some would say we may never know, but in the case of Sasquatch, I’m prone to believe we still have much to learn about the extent and variety of hominid life on earth.

There is a man that lives here in town he went into thh his wife,two daughters and his brother in law. They had some drinks that night and went to sleep. The next morning his wife and daughters were gone. The boat was also gone so they thought they had gone back to town. They eventually flagged down someone else, told them what happened and caught a ride back to town. On the way though they found the boat floating up against a log jam with no sign of his wife or daughters.

May I ask some questions with regards to this please:

Do you know this man directly?

Does he still live in your town?

Do you know his name?

Did he report the disappearance of his wife and daughters to the authorities?

If so, what happened - was an investigation launched and is it ongoing?

What year did this occur?

Many thanks.

Parkie,

Yes I do know this man and he does still live in our community

I could never ask him about this it's just too tragic.

I spoke to my wife this evening and asked her for some details. I was wrong it was his wife, daughter and son. This happend in 1986 September. She said the rope was cut and wasn't sure if the boat was found or not. I had heard it was floating against a log jam but she seems to remember it being lost. She remembers helicopters flying around and an extensive search but no trace of them was found. It was ruled as a drowning

I guess they all could have drown but it sure makes me wonder what happened that night

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking the other day about the other storys my wife told me when I asked her about the missing people. She told me about an earthquake they had in the spring. She said the ground was like walking on water and the trees were shaking pretty hard. It was nothing too major but an earthquake none the less.

Its said that the Nakani live in caves during the winter. The quake was in March and around here thats still pretty wintery.

So I was wondering if mabee they had an incedent and some of them were killed. That could have made them decide to kidnap his familly.

just a thought I had

Also, one of my co-workers told me about his experience with the Nakani.

He said when he was young 12-13 him and some of his cousins were sleeping in a cabin. 2 on the floor and 2 on a bed. He said he was on the floor sleeping, when he woke up sometime during the night and looked at the window. He said there was someone looking in. There was a 45gal drum standing under the window on the outside. he said a Bushman was leaning over the barrel looking at them. He quickly pulled the blankets over his head, then looked again. He said he was still there!. He woke up his older cousin. His cousin went outside and saw a man running along the shore and into the bush. (in the summer the sun goes down but it doesnt really get all that dark)

Im going too ask his cousin about it next time I see him.

Edited by Nakani

Cotter,

I have never heard that before. The Inut people in the arctic have a history with them but I havent heard any accounts. Im in the south west corner of the Northwest Territorys and my sources are from that area. I know the Inut used whale bones and mammoth tusks to build some kind of a house back in the day but im not sure about the Nakani.

• 2 weeks later...

If my memories right, nakani or nuk luk or however its spelled has a habit of beheading men. Pretty sure I've read a few accounts of that. Loren Colmen books perhaps.