The Nakani

I'm back from our fall hunt. We left sept 13 and got back a few days ago. We shot 3 moose, one for my mother in law, one for our freezer and one for dry meat.

post-18570-0-65424000-1381789621.jpg

All dry meat was accounted for, we didn't have any WTH moments at all. We left our dog behind one morning and when we got back from hunting she was tied up diferently. That made me say hmmm but it turns out it was my brother in law who stopped by and found her loose.

My brother in law says they are fugitives from the law and draft dogers. I think people who couldn't handle the army, couldn't handle the northern bush. If you didn't want to die in vetnam, you wouldn't want to die in northern Canada either.

Someone hiding from the law is a little more plausable. They would need some serious bush skills though. It would take a lot of planning, you couldn't just jump out of your gettaway car and live in the bush.

I bet after one winter and a mosqito filled june/july, jail would be looking pretty sweet!

Great! Now I got Moose Meat envy!  LOL

I think if it was fugitives, wouldn't more tracks be found, and evidence of fires.  Maybe some other forms of evidence that indicated human activity. I think fugitives would be a small percentage, we've had them hiding in the woods down here too. Every few yrs. you hear about 1 or 2, maybe more now with the internet.

Mesabe,

I think fugitive fires would blend in with local peoples fires to a cirtain extent. We often stop along the river or trail and make a fire to make tea/lunch or just to warm up.

An out of place camp though would draw attention, everybody knows their area (trapline) pretty well and a stranger camping would be found sooner or later.

I think if any body does come here hiding from the law expecting to stay in the bush they quickly switch to plan B.

Your right the average fugitive would switch citys and be done with it. If the heat was really on, switch province/state or even country but there is no need to live in the bush.

Sometimes you get a wackado survivalist who runs to the bush but that's only once in a blue moon and they are usually doing it for the attention.

I think I've got this photo thing figured out!

My Dad, Brother and 2 nefews came up for a visit and we went up river last weekend.  We went for a hike up the ridge pictured in the first shot.  We didn't get to explore as much as I wanted to but it was a good start.  The ridge wraps around and goes north for about 10km.  We almost made it to the corner but had to turn back, my nefews are 8 and 10 and were getting pretty worn out.

I saw one twisted tree but Im pretty sure it was natural.  There wasn't anything out of the ordinary up there.  I thought that cliff would be a good Nakani look out but I didnt see any sign of anyone using the area.  It is still early though, the leaves are just coming out and there is still a bit of snow laying around in the hills.

attachicon.gifphoto2.JPG

The next picture is my Brother checking out the view

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

My last picture is us a little farther up river at a little creek and water fall.  We had lunch over there and looked around a bit. 

attachicon.gifphoto3.JPG

We did have a wth moment at the cabin.  Shortly after we arived a large tree fell somewhere across the river (mabee 200-300m from where we were).  Nothing unusual about that, except it was followed buy a few tree knocks.  It was a wack,wack....wack...wack,wack kind of thing.  Both my Brother and Dad said what is that?  I said probably branches falling (I didn't want to scare my nefews) but it sure sounded like someone banging on a tree to me.

My wife and I are heading up to the cabin tomorrow, hopefully i'll have something to report

When you heard the stick wack on the tree, was it really powerful, or about as loud as a human would do it? Squatch really bang the stick loud sometimes.

Wag,

I'm sure (99%) it wasn't a person. The area is only accessable by boat and we were the only ones that far up river. Its a toss up between bushman or branches falling. it struck me as odd because it (the whacking noise) seemed to late for branches falling. It also was quite powerfull, too sharp and loud for sticks falling through the brush. Another thing was that it was the same sound each time, branches would have made diferent tones as they fell.

• 3 months later...

My Co-worker for awhile was Frank. He was one of the guys who was at the camp where a Bushman walked by and took off when greeted.

He said he was 15, it was he and another guy who chased him. When I heard it first, Don said everybody ran after him. I guess mabee the others didn't get far.

He said they turned around because they were afraid of getting shot. They didn't know he ran untill they heard sticks breaking. The man had a 20-30 second head start. He lost them up a creek.

He told me the man had long bushy hair and a beard to match. He was wearing a fedora style hat with a green jacket and a pack with stuff tied to it.

I'm thinking this one goes into the crazy trapper catagory. He saw him from about 30 feet away. He said he looked like a scruffy white man.

Who they never saw again... The end

The proceeding was a true story only the names have been shortened.

I ment to say he saw him from 30 meter/yards away, I was kinda tired last night.

I wonder how many men have set off for the north to get away from it all, I think a lot of times these **** Pernikey(sp) types are misidentifyed as the Nakani.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread Nakani. I just happened to run across it and couldn't stop reading. Really enjoyed the few pics you posted also, beautiful country up there where you are at.

Something crossed my mind about the woman that was following the others. She may have wanted to bolt and run to the truck when it showed up but if her child/children were in the bush or back at the cave with another nakani watching them she may not have been willing to leave them. Very creepy story regardless. Thanks for posting such an interesting thread and the great pics. Hopefully one day I will be able to get up to Canada to bowhunt moose and bear. Definately on my bucket list.

Hello Ky Woodsman,

Thanks for the positive feedback.  That is a good point, I hadn't thought that she would probably have children.  Even if they were from the advances of a Bushman, a mothers love is a mothers love, she wouldn't want to leave them or risk their safety.  If she ran to the truck the Nakani would know the location of their camp could be comprimised and just move somewhere else.

I'm still waiting for a chance to talk to the mother or daughter, I have a pretty good account of what happend but it would be nice to hear the story from the ones who were actually there.

Pm me sometime, we can talk moose hunting

• 3 months later...

I've been leaning towards the Nakani just being a rumour started by the sighting of a few white men, loner mountain man types, getting blown out of proportion. 

Now I'm not sure again,

In Nahanni a week or so ago, two men were walking down a road and saw a tall hairy man walk across in front of them.  I've been at work and only heard a few details.  They said he was covered in hair and was especially hairy under its arms (armpit area).  It had longer than usual arms and was 10-12 tall.  There are photos of its tracks on the internet somewhere but I can't find them, they could be on the facebook mabee.

My Wife knows the two men and considers them trustworthy.  She is normally dismissive and a channel changer of all things Bigfoot, now even she wants to go to Nahanni and investigate. 

I was working with someone new and brought the conversation around to the Nakani.  He told me, him and another guy from town were working in the mountains (cutting Seismic line with chainsaws).  They came across a cabin made with an axe, he said the cabin was only about 4 feet tall.  They looked inside and the floor had been dug down under the ground.  He said it looked like someone was trying to hide the cabin.  There was no windows only slits in the walls to look through.  He said there was no cans or other garbage laying around, just this weird little cabin.  When they got back to town he said he asked around and nobody knew who's cabin it could be.

I'll post more when I know more.

BFF Patron

This thread reminded me of the Zana story in Russia.     The Russian's thought she was a Neanderthal relic population and Sykes disproved that with DNA.   But DNA showed her to be sub Saharan African and  her descendants had skull features that seemed to indicate she might be of a relic population that migrated into Russian in an early human migration and never assimilated into the Russian population.       Some species related to BF could have been become geographically isolated and at some point and developed independently.      One of the genetic mutations of Northern European early people was white skin and loosing body hair.     That combination was beneficial in adsorbing vitamin D from the sun in the Northern Latitudes even thought it made them require clothing for survival.        Perhaps some genetic offspring or even the predecessors of BF developed differently in the Northern Latitudes of Canada than those further South.   Or perhaps Northern Canadian native human populations had different origins.   Certainly some migrated through the land bridge across the Bering Sea as most Native Americans are thought to be of an Asian origin, but much evidence points to migrations from the East from Europe during the same ice age migrations.    The polar ice cap extended down far enough that migrations from the East could have just followed along the edge of the polar ice cap.     White skinned, red headed native peoples were reported in early American reports but entire tribes were wiped out by disease.     Much of the taught history of North America is a fabrication and does not reflect reality.       

Similarly there seem to be regional variations of BF like creatures in the US and Canada.       BF are tall and massive in the Pacific NW but seem smaller and less massive in Florida and Texas.    With much human variation related to environment I do not think it unreasonable to expect the same sort of variations in Sasquatch and Sasquatch related populations.     Randy   

• 2 weeks later...

SWWASasquatchproject,

I've thought the same thing about the Zana story.

I'm having trouble with this latest sighting, I can't get over the reported size of it. Maybe it's been exaggerated or overestimated but 10-12 feet seems a bit much. This creature came from the northern tundra and was forced south buy the Inuit (Or so the story goes). Inuit people are short in stature, a trait evolved to conserve body heat in the cold northern climate. Why would the Nakani be so tall?

I am looking forward to speaking with the people who saw it.

Stinky feet,

I spoke with the other guy who found the cabin. I misunderstood when I first heard the story I guess. He said the cabin was on the edge of town in between the airport and the ball diamond. He also said there was a stove inside. I doubt it was made buy any Bushman. It's odd though, digging your cabin into the ground is not the way it's done around here, I have not heard of or seen a cabin like that.