The Nakani

BFF Patron

Nakani:     The opposite of small is better is true for bears in the Northern Climates.     The Brown and Polar bears are massive and as I understand it their concentrated mass helps them better endure the cold.     True their size requires more calories but their massive bodies preserve body heat better in the extreme cold.     Humans in warm climates tend to be slender and like you say native northern people are more compact in stature.     Size estimates of BF or BF like creatures are probably always exaggerated.     Until you have one laid out to measure or have a good frame of reference for height it is most likely a wild guess in most cases.      The swamp ape in the South seems to be much shorter than the BF of the Pacific NW.   Assuming it is the same species, the climate must be the biggest variable.    I sometimes wonder about the swamp ape because of the history of circus wintering in Florida.    Could the swamp ape be descendants of circus apes that have escaped?   Or some sort of hybrid of them?     DNA would tell that story.    Randy  

Stinky feet,   maybe they got the first name wrong.     Could it have been Jeramiah Johnson?    He disappeared from history in the US.    Legend has it that he traveled into Canada but he would have been very old in the 1930s.   Maybe it was his son.    Growing up with a real mountain man father would give a son a lot of skills. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

It's been a while, I've been waiting to interview an old trapper who lived in the remote Yukon mountains about 65km upriver from my cabin. He and his wife moved up there from the States in the late 60's. After their kids grew up and left and his wife left he continued to live there alone. I thought if anyone knows about Bushmen it would be him.

Unfortunately his son found his body this spring, he shot himself in November. I had the opportunity to work with him in the late 90's and he was quite the character to say the least. He was a super nice guy but a bit kooky, the Korean War kinda messed him up a bit, I think that's why he preferred to be alone. I had hoped to ask him if he had any strange occurrences or sightings but also investigate whether or not he could be responsible for some of the stories.

I was sad to hear the news of his passing, it's too bad he ended it like that.

In other Nakani News, the Nahanni Nakani may have been a hairy naked white guy fleeing from a bedroom window after being interrupted by his lovers husband.

Edited by Nakani

Sorry to hear about the trapper Nakani.

Great thread - really held my attention!  Any more info about the Nakani?

Very interesting thread - love the stories, Nakini.

Also sorry to hear about the old trapper, sad story.

White skinned, red headed native peoples were reported in early American reports but entire tribes were wiped out by disease.   

Off topic I know but anyway, we were taught the legend of Welsh Prince Madoc who sailed to America in 1170, maybe some of his party had red hair. We were told of colonists finding welsh speaking Native Indians.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Nakani,

I just now came across this thread and I may have something to contribute.

About a year ago I got the bright idea of searching the Library of Congress for old newspaper accounts of the hairy wild man. I came across an interesting account from the late 1800's about the capture of a "wild man" in Wisconsin or Minnasota, can't remember which.

To sum it up, this wild man wore only a burlap sack. He could also leap like a kangaroo to avoid capture. It took six men to subdue him because the wild man was so strong. When in the jail cell "the beast never spoke" (exact qoute which I thought was odd) and appeared to to be in his 60's. I'd like to find that article again, it may, or may not, be relevant to the information you seek.

Edited by WesT

• 2 months later...

WesT, sounds like an interesting story, I wonder if there was any hard evidence to back up their claim.

-----

I'm back from the cabin. My brother and dad came up for our now annual sheep hunt (I hope coming back empty handed doesn't become a tradition) in the beginning of Sept for a few days and then my wife and I headed to our cabin. We spent a little over a month over there. Our hunting was kinda disrupted by two jet boats full of southern hunters buzzing around all day for about two weeks but we did manage to fill up our freezer.

It occurred to me how hard it would be to live in the bush and not leave any tracks, it is impossible to get around without crossing rivers and back channels. Always finding a rocky spot or a log to cross would be a major inconvenience, especially when tracking game. Even if they did only cross in certain places, there would be trails and sign leading up to these spots. You could not remain hidden and survive.

I heard a weird moaning that made me pause for a second, it wasn't a sound any of the animals around here make. I said to myself WTH is that? And then I realized It was two trees rubbing together. Other than that nothing out of the ordinary happened. I read a book while I was up river called Caesars of the wilderness, it is about the fur trade in Canada. They likened the fur trade to the gold rush, from the 1700's on, many white men came to the north hoping to get rich. Native people who hadn't seen these hairy savages before would definitely think they were some kind of beast. The trappers would have been wary of Native people, resorting to sneaking around and stealing if they were desperate. I'm strongly leaning towards the Nakani being white trappers snooping around.

It doesn't take much to keep stories of boogymen in the bush alive throughout the years. People would naturally start to attribute any strange occurrences to the Bushmen, couple that with some exaggeration and before long there is a unclassified tribe of hairy wildmen haunting the forest.

I think the days of the Nakani have past, all of the bearded Bushmen are gone. Old Dave was probably the last of them. I'm sure the legend will live on though.

Oh come on man! I wasnt even born back then!

( when my wife combs my back hair she makes chewbacca sounds and it pisses me off!)

;)