How To Prevent/survive A Sasquatch Attack

Cotter

Guest SDjeepr

"Give me an AK-47 in a death match against a BF and I will guarantee you victory every time. Unless you subscribe to the sasfooty paranormal idea, then that would be something else entirely."

This would be my line of thinking. I usually don't carry, but if I knew I needed a defense gun for that purpose, the AK or SKS would be my choice. I've no experience with the AK, but the SKS, well, that's just a really great weapon. Reliable, and puts out a hella good lead storm. With proper hardtail ammo, that is my choice for home-defense and all-around defensive piece.

Is it the one to drop a sasquatch? Who knows? I don't. Don't even want to, but have often considered which one I'd grab first. It ALWAYS comes down to the SKS.

I believe that I would be perfectly safe from any attempted assault by even a group of BF's due to two reasons, first being that i would be shaking so bad that i would probably be invisible, and the lethal toxic gases escaping from the extremely big mess created below my belt loops would be so bad, they would have to call in a HAZMAT team and quarantine the area for a couple years :)

I believe that I would be perfectly safe from any attempted assault by even a group of BF's due to two reasons, first being that i would be shaking so bad that i would probably be invisible, and the lethal toxic gases escaping from the extremely big mess created below my belt loops would be so bad, they would have to call in a HAZMAT team and quarantine the area for a couple years :)

:sarcastichand:

Now that's funny! And I'm not too proud to admit, I'd probably have a similar reaction if/when I see one (or more)!

Re: Shooting a BF in the head... There's a story of a hunting guide who was out with a client; client went down a hill a bit, encountered a Bigfoot. He shot it. Then, the BF's hunting partner came out of the brush and, just like in Native American stories and that slave-hunters report from 1800s Georgia, popped his head right off before he could reload. So shooting the first one might not stop the second one :P

In that California granite-slab story someone linked, maybe that female has non-lethal interest. Kidnapping etc. Perhaps female BFs don't see males often enough...

And here's a picture of an anti-Bigfoot armor suit. It's perfect:

http://www.thefilmpilgrim.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Hans-Jesperson-and-his-Suit-or-Armour.jpeg

Edited by SarumanTheChef

Do you think you could take down a full sized, male grizzly, with a .45 ACP?

From what I've read, a big male BF would be about the mass of a full grown male grizzly.

If your thinking of defending against such a creature with a handgun, I'd recommend your choices should begin with .44 magnum, and, skies the limit from there.

A .45 ACP wasn't designed for stopping really large critters. It was designed to take down rogue humans. You might wanna re-think your options in that regard. Better safe than dead, resting in pieces, and, all that jazz. :o

I would retreat from any BF displaying threat displays. I think it is wrong to shoot a BF just because you want to prove they exist. However, if you do have to defend yourself, you should bring enough gun, and keep in mind you have to hit vital organs. There are individuals that have killed large, dangerous animals with relatively small weapons. But, there are many cases where other hunters died trying to prove they could do the same. In short, I recommend following MikeU's logic. The SKS is a proven design (against people), but I would not bet my life that I could stop an angry grizzly with 10 rounds of 7.62 x 39 russian.

Edited by Florida reader

Assuming it's trying to kill you, there are situations where it may be more expedient to target its legs or eyes. If you happen to be carrying a shotgun, for example. The torso may simply be too tough and the penetration depth to vital organs may be too far for a shotgun or small firearm to be useful unless you're within it's arm's reach of you. Beyond arm's reach you may be able to impair its ability to pursue you. Keep in mind that a crippled or blinded squatch has a high chance of dying from the wounds, but in a him or you situation...

Guest Luckyfoot

Do you think you could take down a full sized, male grizzly, with a .45 ACP?

From what I've read, a big male BF would be about the mass of a full grown male grizzly.

If your thinking of defending against such a creature with a handgun, I'd recommend your choices should begin with .44 magnum, and, skies the limit from there.

A .45 ACP wasn't designed for stopping really large critters. It was designed to take down rogue humans. You might wanna re-think your options in that regard. Better safe than dead, resting in pieces, and, all that jazz. :o

I have zero bear hunting experience,and I wouldn't do it with a handgun. But I do see yur point. Bigger caliber better. :hunter:

Several months ago in Denali, a guy did stop a grizzly charge with a 45ACP, and actually killed it. Took a lot of rounds and was a very close thing from what I read. Still, much as I love my 45s for personal defense & work, they would fall under the "anything is better than nothing" catagory to survive a big bear or monkee attack. I sure wouldn't bet on one...

But back to the original question of the thread; to PREVENT an attack, I think travel in a group, make noise, keep the wind at your back, and carry a powerful spotlight or for my money, a powerful flashlight with strobe setting in case you run into one (presuming you aren't trying to get close to one in the first place). I would think a portable bear fence around the camp or your house/property might be an effective deterrent, at least for awhile.

Surviving once an attack is underway, though, I think is as problematic as surviving a big bear attack. Maybe bear spray works, if you are fast enough & cool headed enough to employ it while a huge predator bears down on you at a speed you couldn't hope to outrun. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe a dangerous game caliber rifle or shotgun full of Hevi-Steel, if you have it in your hands and are skilled enough with it to manage a hit or two in a vital area or give it a face full of Hevi-Steel. Maybe your monkee is so amped up you can shoot his vitals to tatters and he still reaches you, and now he is really mad.

We know if a big bear actually gets his paws on you history has proven your chances of survival are almost nil and far more lay in what the bear does than what you do at that point, short of someone shooting it of the victim, and said shooter not putting a round or two through the victim by accident. I suspect it would be exactly the same if an angry monkee gets his mitts on a person, I can't imagine fighting back empty hand or playing dead would do much good versus a giant enraged primate...

Edited by NDT

If you see one, they are probably letting you know they are there, and you may be some place they want you to leave. If they make a threat display, try not to show fear. Do not show aggression. Walking away is probably wise. Stop and watch without prolonged eye contact. Slowly walk away. Be aware there are likely more around you that you don't see. Be slow, deliberate and respectful. My 2 cents.

Edited by Florida reader

Hah, I know. But on the subject of surviving a violent confrontation with a large predatory mammal, especially one that feeds on other mammals and shares kills with other carnivores... it's quite relevant.