How To Prevent/survive A Sasquatch Attack

Cotter

Take lots of photos and video so that when another person comes walking up that trail and finds your camera, they will be able to settle the question regarding your disappearance.

Several months ago in Denali, a guy did stop a grizzly charge with a 45ACP, and actually killed it. Took a lot of rounds and was a very close thing from what I read. Still, much as I love my 45s for personal defense & work, they would fall under the "anything is better than nothing" catagory to survive a big bear or monkee attack. I sure wouldn't bet on one...

But back to the original question of the thread; to PREVENT an attack, I think travel in a group, make noise, keep the wind at your back, and carry a powerful spotlight or for my money, a powerful flashlight with strobe setting in case you run into one (presuming you aren't trying to get close to one in the first place). I would think a portable bear fence around the camp or your house/property might be an effective deterrent, at least for awhile.

Surviving once an attack is underway, though, I think is as problematic as surviving a big bear attack. Maybe bear spray works, if you are fast enough & cool headed enough to employ it while a huge predator bears down on you at a speed you couldn't hope to outrun. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe a dangerous game caliber rifle or shotgun full of Hevi-Steel, if you have it in your hands and are skilled enough with it to manage a hit or two in a vital area or give it a face full of Hevi-Steel. Maybe your monkee is so amped up you can shoot his vitals to tatters and he still reaches you, and now he is really mad.

We know if a big bear actually gets his paws on you history has proven your chances of survival are almost nil and far more lay in what the bear does than what you do at that point, short of someone shooting it of the victim, and said shooter not putting a round or two through the victim by accident. I suspect it would be exactly the same if an angry monkee gets his mitts on a person, I can't imagine fighting back empty hand or playing dead would do much good versus a giant enraged primate...

This reminds me of an incident back in the late 60's. We were vacationing in Essex, Montana. Dad took us all on a mountain hike. We got back late in the day, and, the locals were wondering how it went. Someone asked about what he brought in case of a bear encounter. He replied "my .45". The whole room laughed kinda nervously. Dad asked why? He was told a .45 would not stop a PO'd grizzly.

That was the same vacation mom and dad had to stop driving on a mountain road as a large sasquatch crossed in front of them. I wasn't with them at the time. I only found out about several decades later. They'd decided it wouldn't be in their best interest to not discuss it, and, made a two person NDA. :biggrin:

If it charged avoid eye contact and hold your ground, if they start throwing stuff and screeching leave. If there within touching distance, then you'd better make use of any weapon at your disposal even your fists and teeth.

Realistically though, your only real chance would be if you could do this...

tumblr_liuvp0i9Pd1qfz3l8.gif

I would do something totally passive, like a dog does, curl up on the ground. Maybe even whimper a bit.

Well, thats what I would like to think I would do but in reality I would probably just scream hysterically!

I think, however, that a Squatch attack is unlikely. If you are an animal, the key to survival is to gain as much energy as possible, and lose as little energy as possible in the process. If you get injured in the process, you've failed. That's why Sharks rarely try to attack Dolphins, why Orcas rarely go after Sharks, etc etc.

A Sasquatch could certainly kill a human, but there is a chance of a human being to throw up some sort of fight, and remember that any injury to a wild animal, especially a predator, is potentially life threatening. I think the best option would be to be loud, threatening, and weild a large stick... because I'm sure even a Bigfoot would know that even if it can kill you in a matter of seconds, you could possible land a decent blow with that stick in that time, which could result in him losing an eye, breaking his jaw, breaking his nose, hand, etc...

If you manage to **** one off to the point where he doesnt care, well... take pictures :D

My favorite:

Throw crap at them. They hate that. And don't worry. If one of them comes at you there will be plenty of crap around.

Other than that: you have less chance than you'd have with a grizzly.

Your pic isn't showing up, bigteddy. Or, were you planning on tagging out with www.tripod.com? J/K... :tease:

Throw crap at them. LOL! I saw a chimp do that once at The Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa. A teenage boy was mucking with the chimp, leaning over the fence, taunting, and, teasing it. Chimp crapped right into his own hand, and, let fly. Caught the kid mid stern. Chimp, (and the rest of us), had the last laugh. That was freaking hilarious! It was also the last time I got anywhere near that fence around their enclosure. He was surprisingly accurate with that throw. :o

When William Dranginis was asked what kind of gun he carries into the woods by one of his FBI coworkers, he said a glock 40 caliber(I might be off), and the coworker responded by saying "so thats 10 in the clip and one in the chamber? So shoot the bigfoot 10 times but save the 11th round for yourself."

My favorite:

Throw crap at them. They hate that. And don't worry. If one of them comes at you there will be plenty of crap around.

Other than that: you have less chance than you'd have with a grizzly.

Do footers just make this stuff up or is there some kind of wheel you spin to randomly generate BF factoids ?

"SASQUATCH FACTOID GENERATOR"

SquatchWheelMagic.jpg

I'm pretty sure if I had to, I could take a bigfoot down with karate.........................Ok that was a big lie! Lol. Could someone do that though?

Edited by Angie2B