Government's Plausible Deniability?

Gotta Know

Just curious, if the subject of this drama was a 19 y.o. male, would the anxiety level be the same as it is for the hiker's safe return? Doubt it. A lot of the most capable woods"men" I have known in my life were in fact women. Before we go all self-righteous on ourselves, we might consider possibly this person knew exactly what she was doing and the reporting of her adventure has been garbled in the translation, including her ETA.  My experience with what passes for journalism these days is you believe the details at your peril, and draw no conclusions until the final episode. 

I hope this young woman is alive and that she carried something in that fanny pack besides a pack of gum and a paperback book. The biggest regret is that some searchers are putting themselves at risk to help her. THAT is always a karma debit. 

^^^No kidding.

When I read the Outside article that later became Into The Wild, I got the impression that McCandless was a total naïve tyro and more than a bit stupid.

I got that impression from Krakauer...before he did more research...which is why it became a book.

And then a movie, which tend not to get made about total idiots.

I survived death a couple of times by being young, dumb and extremely careless.  I hope and pray this young lady is found alive and well.....

Guest wudewasa

In my first responder training, hypothermia, dehydration and lack of food are lethal when they stand alone, when but combined, hasten death even more quickly.  This young lady's self induced environmental exposure is tragic, especially when she put herself in such as position to induce self discovery, albeit in an extremely naïve manner. 

The statistics are sobering-

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/medExam/documents/2011/pdfs/Environmental%20Exposure%20Deaths.pdf

Can you imagine telling the parents of a child that their daughter was kidnapped by a sasquatch because she was walking naked in the woods?!  Think about these unfounded claims before you make them.  Even with training, this happens, lest we forget this other tragic, horrible event on multiple sides-

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2017146937_ranger03m.html

In my first responder training, hypothermia, dehydration and lack of food are lethal when they stand alone, when but combined, hasten death even more quickly.  This young lady's self induced environmental exposure is tragic, especially when she put herself in such as position to induce self discovery, albeit in an extremely naïve manner. 

The statistics are sobering-

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/medExam/documents/2011/pdfs/Environmental%20Exposure%20Deaths.pdf

Can you imagine telling the parents of a child that their daughter was kidnapped by a sasquatch because she was walking naked in the woods?!  Think about these unfounded claims before you make them.  Even with training, this happens, lest we forget this other tragic, horrible event on multiple sides-

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2017146937_ranger03m.html

Not sure who this comment is directed to, but as the OP I assure you I have made no such claim or conclusion. My stance is simply that this woman's poor decision was aided by ongoing silence from authorities that I believe know more than they share regarding BF's very existence.

In the meantime, no updates that I can find regarding the search. I'll add it when there's more.

Guest wudewasa

Not sure who this comment is directed to, but as the OP I assure you I have made no such claim or conclusion. My stance is simply that this woman's poor decision was aided by ongoing silence from authorities that I believe know more than they share regarding BF's very existence.

Not directed towards you in general, but to everyone who is spouting off all of these accounts of sasquatches abducting human females and thinking that such a situation is plausible in this particular circumstance.  "A young woman is missing- it MUST be a squatch that took her" is just silly, when other explanations make more sense.

• Upvote 1

I frequently have an issue with "more plausible" explanations.

But not here, because there are quite a few.

What made that long line of tracks that look somewhat human, with a six-foot stride in snow three feet deep, five miles from the nearest road?  Not a deer or a bear; and where are the hoaxer's tracks?

Compare that to:  somebody's missing.  What happened?

Well..any one of a number of things are not only possible but likely.  Unless someone finds one of her personal effects sitting in a 20-inch track, well...

Normally a suspension accompanies particularly bad weather conditions.

But in really rough terrain in which a search itself can be dangerous...I'm not making the calls on the ground, but...

Not liking this one much.  Praying hard.  She is for sure better off staying put and searching for shelter materials (that's more important than fire; you get more with less effort).

Guest wudewasa

Normally a suspension accompanies particularly bad weather conditions.

But in really rough terrain in which a search itself can be dangerous...I'm not making the calls on the ground, but...

Not liking this one much.  Praying hard.  She is for sure better off staying put and searching for shelter materials (that's more important than fire; you get more with less effort).

Well said.

This person is most likely not thinking logically with her deficit in food, water and clothing. 

As a wilderness first responder, this is an extremely frustrating and painful thing to track.  You want her to be found, but the safety of the rescuers must also be considered.  I just wish that she is not suffering.

Guest Rick1013

I expect that her brother will be under investigation relating to her disappearance. The whole thing sounds fishy to me.

Where are the bloodhound dogs? Shouldn't be hard to have picked up her scent and followed it. That scent probably doesn't exist now, a few days later, but does anyone know if they did use dogs?

I have heard a lot about people who go missing, only to find out later that someone had purchased life insurance on the person just weeks before they went "missing."

I wonder if the UFO forums are thinking she was abducted by aliens?

Cool story.

Does the truth hurt?  There is zero evidence of BF being involved, but that certainly hasn't stopped the postulating.