N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

@DWA, bears are recorded eating that way and cougars kill that way.

I thought you didn't care about a person's credentials only the weight of their statement?

Guest Urkelbot

After looking at mionczynskis biography and publications he was associated with the only things he should be able to speak about with any authority are big horn sheep and goats.

Unless I'm mistaken his education consists of an undergraduate degree in marine biology.

^

If we don't want to hear the skeptical side we may as well start skipping through the forest with the romantics and their big furry friends.

t.

^^^Well, unless the skeptical side offers evidence that what they think is the truth on the ground, I'm going with the side that is offering the evidence.  Way science works.

I do believe the topic is actually Bipto's organization, what they are doing, and how they are progressing. 

Edited by JoelS

This may have been asked but maybe not precisely this way.

Are you trying to 'maximize presence' by having someone in X as absolutely often as this can happen, even if it's just day-or-so solos, backcountry camping, hike-throughs, occasional night vehicle stakeouts, etc?

Edited by DWA

Are you trying to 'maximize presence' by having someone in X as absolutely often as this can happen, even if it's just day-or-so solos, backcountry camping, hike-throughs, occasional night vehicle stakeouts, etc?

Sure, we'd like to, but it's really hard to keep people down there even for the summer months when we're utilizing people's vacations and holidays. We just don't have the manpower to do much more than we are. We've been working on some off-season projects this winter and it's just about tapped us out from a human resource perspective. 

I don't think it's possible to underestimate the strain of what we're trying to do on an organization of our size, visions of tax holiday romps in the backcountry aside.

Edited by bipto

Well, yeah.  It's not like all of you live in Mena, AR.

I was just wondering whether you plot out targets of opportunity, and whether you think about what will actually get bang-for-buck from a resource expenditure perspective.

Believe me, I get it.  I go on more than anyone else here about how - as I think you once put it - practically no one, on a statistical basis, is "looking for bigfoot."

Moderator Statement:

This thread is now unlocked. We are concerned that there have been on-going violations of forum rules on this thread. Here are several examples of topics that will not be discussed here:

1) whether or not Bigfoot exists

2) the habits of other species, unless they relate directly to Area X

3) anything to do with 'proponents' or 'skeptics'

4) the activities (or not) of hoaxers

These are all good topics, just not for this thread.

I will not be adding other off-topic concepts to this list. Instead, we will be handing out warning points for forum violations. Please be informed ahead of time; here is a link to the forum rules:

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/29306-bff-rules-guidelines/

• Upvote 1

Guest Stan Norton

Brian,

With reference to the obvious pressures of dealing with large volumes of data resulting from your activities (photos, audio, log accounts), have NAWAC been able to keep on top of the analysis to date and, if not, has outsourcing (or crowdsourcing?) been considered?

If you have kept on top of it, has anything interesting come to light that hadn't been picked up at the time?

Mmmm. Data. Shado loves him some data.

I'll let Brian answer your question, but a point I would like to make is just how extensive the NAWAC field operations are. Everything is logged - weather, time, date, movements of people, animal sightings, and then all the juicy stuff too. The scale simply huge - and gets bigger every year as operations go longer and team members record more details.

Edited by ShadoAngel

have NAWAC been able to keep on top of the analysis to date and, if not, has outsourcing (or crowdsourcing?) been considered?

It's an interesting idea. 

I sometimes have a hard time remembering what we've released and what we haven't. I think all the most interesting sounds files, etc., have already been released. Right now, I'd say the trove of good stuff is all in those journals. We're working with someone now to do analysis of the journals and hope to be able to release a version of the data at a later date. What this has led us to understand is that we can do a better job of normalizing our observations by being more consistent in how we record them. Live and learn, as they say. In any event, we're formulating more explicit guidelines for teams going forward. 

Edited by bipto