N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

hello zenmonkey,

THAT would be something that Sasquatch might find curious enough to investigate. At least it would be something they wouldn't see everyday in the wild I betcha.

Edited by hiflier

Bipto do you guys just use tents and the cabins? I thought I read somewhere about somebody having a camper down there maybe I'm wrong. Also do you guys use a generator or do you go old school? :keeporder:

We utilize both cabins and tents. I've used both. None of us has brought a camper down as far as I know. At least not in recent times. We used a generator when we were getting the solar system set up to keep the batteries charged, but it's not usually there. 

Are there any old abandoned drift, coal mine adits in the area? If so, have they been checked for signs of usage? According to another thread there are some in Le Flore county.

Any natural caves in the area either that have been found?

No mines as far as I know. I've heard tell of caves from the landowners but I've never seen them. 

Guest zenmonkey

Bipto do you guys just use tents and the cabins? I thought I read somewhere about somebody having a camper down there maybe I'm wrong. Also do you guys use a generator or do you go old school? :keeporder:

We utilize both cabins and tents. I've used both. None of us has brought a camper down as far as I know. At least not in recent times. We used a generator when we were getting the solar system set up to keep the batteries charged, but it's not usually there. 

Are there any old abandoned drift, coal mine adits in the area? If so, have they been checked for signs of usage? According to another thread there are some in Le Flore county.

Any natural caves in the area either that have been found?

No mines as far as I know. I've heard tell of caves from the landowners but I've never seen them. 

Ive heard of caves in the area as well. Love to run across one

Guest Stan Norton

Brian,

Have you ever considered just having a few folks sitting out in the undergrowth or a clearing for a time during daylight, perhaps just chilling in a group with some food, chatting and seeing if the wood apes come in for a look? May be that their seeming incurable curiosity may force them to approach very close or otherwise make themselves known. 

I vote the NAWAC try something I have thought of before and while in overlook and near cabin put some live chickens on a leash staked to the ground or in a simple smallish bird cage with a daytime plot watcher running pics of the chicken (not IR device) and of course have a shooter ready and if you miss and hit the chicken throw him in the fryer for dinner. By no means am I meaning a smarty butt either I mean it would be something fun and cheap to try Jurassic Park style ;)    Of course then you say the target species will get away and eat a lawyer and no worries on that unless MM tries it on FB ..LOL

Something Project Grendel has done in the past is to lay out a fawn decoy and call over it with a fawn in distress call. Thus far it's only worked on bears, but it's a valid concept I think..

Guest zenmonkey

^^^Well I'd say turkey.  Go big or go home, I say.

'sides, you're more likely to hit a turkey.

No! Jurassic park? Lets do it right......a goat!

I have raised some hens from chicks last March and added two grown roosters in the summer and still no eggs so I have pondered on taking one with me on a squatching weekend.. Quoting Ivan Drago ..."If he dies he dies"      

What breed are they?  If they haven't laid an egg yet...umm...they aren't going too (says the lady with many chickens). They don't need rooster to lay. Most chickens will lay at 8 months and continue for several years.

There like a Rhode Island Red maybe mixed w Leghorn. Laverne and Shirley :)  I have not tried a fake egg or hard boiled egg for a motivator yet. We had a pretty Bantam hen and match rooster and she gave a lot of eggs the year prior.

Back on topic,

That's too bad you cant bring animals Bipto , I guess  Alton will have to wear a bacon vest and sit around the bait tent again

post-1911-0-59263400-1391653767_thumb.jp

Edited by GEARMAN