N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Guest Stan Norton

To be frank, no it would not be helpful for skeptics to open another thread about Area X. It won't be any more productive than this one.

Regrettably, I believe you are right. I think part of the issue is that there is a natural lull in news from X imposed by the seasonal constraints of your survey effort - it clearly being most productive to attend site outside the winter months. What I guess most of us X-philes want is news on tap (!) and thus the slow winter period allows time for forum musings (including some not altogether constructive ones) and for a vacuum to develop which unfortunately often turns into the dull old exist/not exist drudge which gets all our backs up.

I fully understand Brian's retreat from the thread at times, but might there not be room for a proactive stance, wrestling the discussion back from those who would like it derailed? How about introducing some sub-topics into the mix? Any points that NAWAC field staff want some help with musing on? Any interesting data? Just a thought from just one X-starved enthusiast...!

Guest zenmonkey

Yes someone anyone give us something to ponder!! I need some X news!! I realize summer is getting close but I can't wait that long!

To be frank, no it would not be helpful for skeptics to open another thread about Area X. It won't be any more productive than this one.

Obviously, the enthusiasts here want a skeptic[al] free thread where Bipto, yourself, and others may present information on field operations in Area X and have enthusiasts' questions answered with nary a discouraging word. Lately this frame of mind has produced calls to ignore skeptics' posts, and worse, to report them to moderators.

My idea would be to relieve the aggravation here by having skeptics like myself start their own thread.

That would allow skeptics more legroom to question the NAWAC narrative, while giving enthusiasts what they desire -- the Area X story without doubters chiming in.

Of coarse, this would be helpful only if skeptics here think it's a good idea, and they would confine their questions and critiques about Area X to the new thread. But judging by the comment by Drew, the skeptic with the most posts here, the idea is not a good one.

Edited by jerrywayne

Obviously, the enthusiasts here want a skeptic[al] free thread where Bipto, yourself, and others may present information on field operations in Area X and have enthusiasts' questions answered with nary a discouraging word. Lately this frame of mind has produced calls to ignore skeptics' posts, and worse, to report them to moderators.

My idea would be to relieve the aggravation here by having skeptics like myself start their own thread.

That would allow skeptics more legroom to question the NAWAC narrative, while giving enthusiasts what they desire -- the Area X story without doubters chiming in.

Of coarse, this would be helpful only if skeptics here think it's a good idea, and they would confine their questions and critiques about Area X to the new thread. But judging by the comment by Drew, the skeptic with the most posts here, the idea is not a good one.

I think it is a good idea, but I wonder what sort of involvement from NAWAC members one should anticipate. Without NAWAC involvement I fear such a thread would most just be a skeptics only party where we exchange mutual opinions. 

Bipto has, to date, displayed a strong avoidance of skeptical inquiry. Why would he, or any other NAWAC member, participate in such a thread? I fear that a thread dedicated to skeptical inquiry of NAWAC claims, minus NAWAC participation, would be an open invitation to an empty theater. 

Edited by dmaker

I think it is a good idea, but I wonder what sort of involvement from NAWAC members one should anticipate. Without NAWAC involvement I fear such a thread would most just be a skeptics only party where we exchange mutual opinions. 

Bipto has, to date, displayed a strong avoidance of skeptical inquiry. Why would he, or any other NAWAC member, participate in such a thread? I fear that a thread dedicated to skeptical inquiry of NAWAC claims, minus NAWAC participation, would be an open invitation to an empty theater.

You're probably right about NAWAC involvement. On the other hand, I doubt the thread would be free of enthusiasts to make things interesting.

Also, there ought to be a place where interested people can go to find skeptical responses to the Area X phenomena.

We don't have threads for believers only or skeptic only on the BFF.  All points of view are welcome in the same thread.  Frame your comments or questions to the point of the thread...and there is no issue.  Whether you are answered or not is up to the person who can answer the question.  Whether you accept their answer or not, is up to you.  I am pretty sure at this point every question that could be asked, has been answered. Is the answer you want, I have no clue...but a new thread isn't going to solve that. 

• Upvote 3

Yes someone anyone give us something to ponder!! I need some X news!! I realize summer is getting close but I can't wait that long!

Yes, please! I have listened to the more area x related shows on "the bigfoot show" several times now.

You're probably right about NAWAC involvement. On the other hand, I doubt the thread would be free of enthusiasts to make things interesting.

Also, there ought to be a place where interested people can go to find skeptical responses to the Area X phenomena.

I agree completely. Feel free to start a Bigfoot skeptic's forum to provide such an environment.

Skeptics welcome! Assuming you don't come in with preconceived and immovable notions regarding Bigfoot and those who discuss the phenomenon, you'll find a spirited and thought-provoking debate waiting for you here. But keep in mind, this is a Bigfoot forum. You must accept the proponents point of view if you expect yours to be considered. This is by nature a “Bigfoot House†and is intended to foster intelligent discussion of the subject. This is not “The Anti-Bigfoot Forumâ€.

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

The problem isn't the skeptical viewpoint of Area X, it's the constant badgering of those that are involved in the project. Everything from tax status, accusations of hoaxing cover ups, and asking the same tired questions, slightly reworded, in an attempt to cast doubt on their efforts.

We get it. You're a skeptic. You don't believe it. Fine. This doesn't mean that you'll get to slam others for their efforts.

• Upvote 1

I don't think the skeptical questions I've seen on this thread are an attempt to derail.  Some of those questions have in fact brought out good information we wouldn't have gotten from lets face it, those here who believe everything they read on the BFF.  The integrity of those involved in the NAWAC are to me beyond reproach and I give them the benefit of the doubt because of that.  I would expect too that if it is one day determined that there are no creatures involved due to whatever reason, the NAWAC will advise us all and that will be that.   

t.

Guest zenmonkey

We can fight back and forth all day. The point of the thread is to learn about Biptos research in X He's just sharing the info and being polite with our questions. Take it or leave it he's just presenting the info. No need to doubt everything he says here online to him. Yes skepticism is healthy and required. but I think we should reserve that for now and listen to what he has to say. He's been more than polite to us all

^^^That.

If one doesn't have proof of what precisely is happening in X, one isn't contributing anything asking bipto why he hasn't adjusted his meds lately...which most of the skeptical posts here have been, essentially, doing.

No one who wants answers to this question is going to get them by constantly badgering the people looking for them with posts that generate heat without light.

Edited by DWA

I don't think the skeptical questions I've seen on this thread are an attempt to derail.  Some of those questions have in fact brought out good information we wouldn't have gotten from lets face it, those here who believe everything they read on the BFF.  The integrity of those involved in the NAWAC are to me beyond reproach and I give them the benefit of the doubt because of that.  I would expect too that if it is one day determined that there are no creatures involved due to whatever reason, the NAWAC will advise us all and that will be that.   

t.

I've read, like others, that they have already had a couple sightings, so your expectation comment is not logical. I believe them too and so I don't expect them to retract their comments and statements about those sightings.  

I've seen nothing but derailing attempts from the usual skeptics which is really no big deal because they are all big boys (area X members) and can handle the heat.