N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Airdale, Actually its easier than that. we do look at past posting history and that is taken into account. The forum rules are designed to allow the threads to proceed smoothly. So if we just find the violations, we can sort it out.

The Report function is by no means the nuclear option.

And lively debate is encouraged as long as it is done within the rules of the forum.

If we could honestly control the forum through such means all would be well, or would it?  Is not part of what makes this forum what it is all the criticism and banter

that go with it.  If we completely abolish the noise we wish not to hear does that benefit the discussion. I know I have benefited from all the criticism brought to my

own thread, if you guys lose that quality I will exit stage left.  

Criticism is one thing.  But the folks I have on Ignore are one-trick ponies who simply don't respond to anything that points out the problems with their stance.  That's not criticism; it's either obtuseness, or trolling.  When one has shown me for the 1,000th time The Map That Shows A Bigfoot Lives In Your House; or says for the 1,000th time that There Is No Evidence; or says for the 1,000th time that The Lack of a Fossil Record is Damning; ...and I could go on and on...they get shut down.  It's not that I'm right (I mean, I am, but still).  It's that they steadfastly refuse to even acknowledge that the point has been made, and address the point.

That's Ignorable, with no penalty to free exchange or progress.

^^^Adding to that (on topic!)

Every post I have seen from bipto is a relation of experiences in X.  It's not an assertion of proof; it's an attempt at open science, sharing things that are happening and what the group is doing to capitalize on opportunities and get more evidence.

When one keeps coming on, here and elsewhere, and saying bigfoot's not real, and you're getting hoaxed, and btw you are also cheating the taxpayer, and btw there wasn't a tree or an animal left in Oklahoma by April 3, 1905....you are calling him either a liar or a lunatic, and giving no reasonable person cause to think either thing; and what you are saying enters my ear as pollution.

There's a filter; and it starts with either I or R.

Edited by DWA

That's a plus DWA, well said.

Sal,

Thanks for filling me in WRT the "Report" function, it's good to understand more of the nuts and bolts that hold the forum together. Without spirited debate there would be no reason to be here. It boils down to a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff, and the vast majority of the posters I've encountered here fall into the former category. For the remainder, some of us, at least, now have a better understanding of the tools at our disposal. Thanks to you and See for allowing this deviation and for all of the effort Staff puts into the BFF. Now I'm ready to switch back on to the main track and get this train a rollin' on the "X" line again.

Guest Stan Norton

Hey. I'm stuck here in wet and miserable Blighty and one of the things I enjoy most is to listen to the old BIP casts (the Oklahoma sasquatch being my favourite by a long shot) plus the BFS. Brian and co are about the only ray of sunshine in an otherwise thoroughly depressing world of bigfoot nonsense. The Area X BFSs are clearly the most interesting and, like many here I am sure, I look forward to hearing more about the NAWAC's exploits this summer season. Thank goodness for NAWAC!

Guest zenmonkey

Hey. I'm stuck here in wet and miserable Blighty and one of the things I enjoy most is to listen to the old BIP casts (the Oklahoma sasquatch being my favourite by a long shot) plus the BFS. Brian and co are about the only ray of sunshine in an otherwise thoroughly depressing world of bigfoot nonsense. The Area X BFSs are clearly the most interesting and, like many here I am sure, I look forward to hearing more about the NAWAC's exploits this summer season. Thank goodness for NAWAC!

Couldn't of said it better myself! in fact I think tomorrow I am going to go to the area that is talked about in the oklahoma bipcast

I'm listening to a lecture by Steve Winter (he shot the cougars in the December issue of National Geographic).

He says that jaguars would walk behind his camera traps after he set them.  Of course he set them to shoot spots the cats always used...until the cameras showed up.

NAWAC had a good reason to drop camera traps.

He also talks about using information from locals to help him set the traps.  A time-tested technique.  Ironic, that we've always recognized native tribesmen in faraway lands as excellent informants...but don't think the same of people almost identical to the reliable folks we meet on the street and at work, every day.

Edited by DWA

It's not that people, of whatever origin, cannot be excellent informants, it's that information without supporting substantiation  is not very reliable evidence.

Edited by dmaker

I am in total agreement with See on the Tax exempt status.

The one tactic I would say to Bipto to try, is the tactic of misdirection that was used in Africa to trick Leopards into approaching a bait pile.

6 people would walk out to a blind, make a lot of commotion around the blind, and then 4 people would walk out, leaving two in the blind.

This was a trick used to fool the oldest, most wary leopards.  Because as smart as they are, they could not count.  

As far as cameras, I think you should make a stealth visit to the site, and place some secret cameras out there, with satellite uplink capability. 

One person sneaking in and placing cameras may not alert the Apes to the camera's locations  

Those of us that are familiar with the hairy guys know that they are fully aware of when you and your group have invaded their area.  They may not always let you know but if a person pays attention you could even catch a glimpse.   Leopards are not known for counting but hairy guys are known for sending messages thru the woods via wood knocks, whistles, howls, whoops, etc.  You are dealing with a being that has more inate knowledge about living in the forest than any puny hairless one. 

However, they aren't perfect and make mistakes, I believe that is their achilles heel. 

It's not that people, of whatever origin, cannot be excellent informants, it's that information without supporting substantiation is not very reliable evidence.

The Hobbit? Bili ape? Mountain gorilla?

All tribal lore that pointed to further exploration, which panned out. Obviously for Sasquatch that has not panned out as of yet.

So for now the champagne stays on ice.

What breed are they?  If they haven't laid an egg yet...umm...they aren't going too (says the lady with many chickens). They don't need rooster to lay. Most chickens will lay at 8 months and continue for several years.

The two Red Sex Link Hens finally started producing nice large brown eggs got 9 so far in a week or so.. Yeah and they a year old now. They will get a pardon from the Governor now..

Still think one could bring a chicken to base camp on an outing it could be interesting after every one turns in for the night.

Edited by GEARMAN

Would it be helpful, and permissible, if a skeptic opened another thread on Area X? This would take some of aggravation from this thread.

Just trying to help.

^I appreciate your thinking but I doubt it would help. I think it would just provide two flames for the moths to flit back and forth between.

Would it be helpful, and permissible, if a skeptic opened another thread on Area X? This would take some of aggravation from this thread.

Just trying to help.

As a moderator I have encouraged that in the past, so yes. 

Obviously it is time to move on.... I am sure that Bipto would like to share with us

from his experiences and knowledge, and thus far we are the obstacle to enjoying

that input.  If your really content with shutting down such an interesting discussion

continue your approach till present...  I know that I have a vested interest in learning

from such bold researchers as the NAWAC..

To be frank, no it would not be helpful for skeptics to open another thread about Area X. It won't be any more productive than this one.