N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

You mean what do they eat? There's plenty of animal life there (both big and small - deer, armadillo, crawdads, fish, squirrel, insects of all kinds, etc.) and, though I'm no expert on edible plants, John Mionczynski is and has been there and found plentiful resources for a large omnivore (besides the obvious like nuts and berries). 

Of course, we have no idea what their caloric needs are. Not all primates are the same and just because they're big doesn't mean they would necessarily eat like a huge human. Orangutans, for example, are far better at managing their food needs than humans even though they're much more active than we are. Their secret is having very low resting metabolisms. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38530651/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/orangutans-are-more-efficient-we-are/#.UfbSBWQ6Xlp

We simply have no way of knowing how much food a wood ape would need to survive, but there appears to be plenty there for at least a small group of them. One of our big questions is how can they expend so much time and energy messing with us rather than collecting and consuming food. Perhaps it's because they don't need as much as we think they do. 

Have you found any evidence of other humans utilizing the land?

For example: Human footprints, discarded water bottles, cars tire tracks on the perimeter, cigarette butts, chewing tobacco cans/pouches.

If you find any of this, do you make a record of it as you would if it were determined to be Wood Ape evidence.

If yes, what have you found that tells you humans are utilizing the area?

To the best of my knowledge, we've found no litter or evidence of recent human activity outside the area of the cabins (at least not since the summer-long operations have been happening). There are trails that are used by the cabin owners for ATVing, but we've not observed any others on those trails. If we found evidence of human activity that could not be attributed to our team or the cabin owners, we'd make sure everyone was aware since we will not fire upon an ape when those not affiliated with the group are near. It's specifically mentioned in our rules involving the collection of a specimen. 

In episode 51 of The Bigfoot Show, Alton Higgins comments on how little human activity is evident in the area. As he points out, it's even rare to hear an airplane fly overhead. When I was there on my second swing through earlier in the year, a helicopter flew over at night and it was quite the event since, to the best of anyone's recollection who was present, that had never happened before. 

To clarify, there are other trails in the general vicinity that have infrequent ATV or off-road traffic, but not in the area we operate. 

I listened to episode 51 of the bigfoot show last night. The heard foot falls and mumbly whispers reported is interesting, there's not too many animals that do that. ;) Some of the related incidents started to ring a bell with things I've heard before, then went and found the link. Some may remember this blog and some of it's credulous interpretations and claims.

These are just a few quotes. I sometimes pause and reflect on claims like this, sometimes you find a nugget of truth.

http://www.joanocean.com/sasquatch.html

They created or facilitated the sound of trees falling to the ground with loud crashes. In the morning there were no trees on the ground.

And one night they touched me. In my tiny tent I was asleep, when I awoke because someone was pushing on my shoulder. Momentarily I thought I was at home where my friendly donkeys often nudge my shoulders. Then, realizing where I was, I sat up quickly and opened my tent flap to look around. No one there. All quiet.

As we sat around the fire, a small heavy stone came through the trees into the fire. It was a "Hello, we are here!" sign. Not threatening, not aimed at us, but precisely thrown so we would see it fly into our midst.

We also listened many nights to loud sounds that seemed to be a rock being hit against a boulder - rock on rock. We also heard what sounded like a stick on a scrub board, and one night we heard sounds of extra loud growls like an injured lion. Never a dull moment! The nights were filled with mysterious noises and activities in the darkness.

Sometimes it feels like we are subjects in a Sasquatch research project. Perhaps a project to determine which sounds create what reactions in humans. Or perhaps a communication project called "what does it take to make humans know we are here and we are their friends?"

Sometimes it feels like we are subjects in a Sasquatch research project. Perhaps a project to determine which sounds create what reactions in humans. Or perhaps a communication project called "what does it take to make humans know we are here and we are their friends?"

You wonder about that, too, huh?   They seem to be more effective at studying us than we are at studying them.   I'm not sure whether we're the scientists or the lab rats.  Asimov, I think, wrote "any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic."   I don't think it is true but I can't eliminate the possibility the "woo" is a result of tech beyond our understanding.   All we have to base dismissal on is our arrogance.  :( 

MIB

• Upvote 3

Guest Urkelbot

You wonder about that, too, huh?   They seem to be more effective at studying us than we are at studying them.   I'm not sure whether we're the scientists or the lab rats.  Asimov, I think, wrote "any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic."   I don't think it is true but I can't eliminate the possibility the "woo" is a result of tech beyond our understanding.   All we have to base dismissal on is our arrogance.  :(

MIB

Do you think they are aliens or something?  There is no evidence of manufactured stone tools how could they develop tech that we can't understand?  The quote is from Clarke.

Thanks for clarifying the quote source.  

I don't support any specific answer right now to the exclusion of other answers.    I don't eliminate any answers, either.   I suppose I'm "weird" or "different" ... I prefer unanswered questions to wrongly answered questions, to questions whose answers just aren't supported by the available evidence.   Many, but not all, other people seem to have to have an answer even if it is wrong, they develop a twitch when faced with saying "I don't know."  

MIB   

Wood apes do not appear magical. They don't have technology we can't identify. They're smart large primates who have beautifully adapted to their environment. In my opinion.

Guest Robert2

Brian I have a question. I know you guys must have deployed dozens of trail cams all over the area, and yet we never hear about or see any pictures of these things.

How do you explain this?

Do you think these cams are emitting ultrasonic sound that hurts their ears, or IR light that they can see? 

Edited by Robert2

Wood apes do not appear magical. They don't have technology we can't identify. They're smart large primates who have beautifully adapted to their environment. In my opinion.

You're in a position to observer that.  I can't disagree.

That's one reason I have to wonder if "wood ape" there and "bigfoot" here are not the same.   Even my first hand observations suggest something more than you describe.   Uh ... sorry I took your thread off track.

MIB

MIB

I keep an eye out for off the wall things that repeat no matter who the source is. Things like this quote below, which I missed in my previous post, just don't happen by chance and a little too coincidental to pass up mentioning.

As I sit in the quietness for another 15 - 20 minutes there is a sudden noise like heavy raindrops. It is a shower of tiny pebbles falling from the top of the nearby trees through the branches and onto the ground, in front of the porch. They do not touch me, but I can see them falling, as if from the sky. A phenomenon like that takes someone to create it. It is not a natural phenomenon. This is how the Sasquatch make contact, in a mysterious and also non-threatening way. 

Debri rain!!!!

Edited by southernyahoo

Do you think these cams are emitting ultrasonic sound that hurts their ears, or IR light that they can see? 

Sound? Nope. http://woodape.org/index.php/about-bigfoot/articles/229-camera-test

IR light, perhaps. There's no way to know at this point, but I think it's possible they have some ability to see into the near IR at least. 

Debri rain!!!!

We've certainly experienced something that sounds like that. We've have audio recordings of it happening. 

Guest Robert2

Have you tried different types of remote cameras? 

I was thinking about something like a camera that does not use flash or IR. FLIR (thermal)? Maybe a mechanical cam that snaps a photo automatically every 5 seconds so no motion detector is needed....

I suppose you have had this conversation before. 

What about human-associated smells? Maybe there is a smell, plastic, ozone, something...

What about hiding them inside hollow logs with just a hole for the lens to see through? Has that been tried? 

Edited by Robert2

BFF Patron

Debris rain happened to the top of my tent one night after vigorous locust snag shaking in the valley below me (Something had mimicked my very shaking of that same snag through many daylight trips through that area).  It (debris rain) consisted of small pebbles, forest detritus, pieces of nut shell, very small twigs etc. It was very light in intensity though and not falling through a tree canopy----although I was camped on a mountainside natural bench near larger trees. 

At first I thought I had loud lightning bugs under the rain fly but next morning verified that was not the case.  Couldn't catch the culprit in the act but did try when bipedal footsteps moved back and forth beween corners of the tent apparently dropping the material (this in an area that was apparently all but forest people free).  

Edited by bipedalist