N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Brian, when you go afield in your area, what kind of camera do you carry, and how fast can you get it into position and snap a photo?

Has anyone tried one of those small video cams that clips on to the front of a helmet or hat? Like a GoPro Hero cam? 

I carry my iPhone, so it takes a relatively long time to get it into position. I have, on several occasions, worn a GoPro camera. It's cumbersome, can be uncomfortable, and the battery only lasts a little while. 

I'd love to get one of these things on camera. Truly. But I decided a long time ago that if I was lucky enough to have a visual encounter, I wouldn't waste time trying to get a camera up and on. I would see it. If I did get an image, it would likely be totally insufficient for anything other than BFF fodder. 

I'd love to get one of these things on camera. Truly. But I decided a long time ago that if I was lucky enough to have a visual encounter, I wouldn't waste time trying to get a camera up and on. I would see it.

I made that choice 23 years ago and created in enigma in my life...

We've certainly experienced something that sounds like that. We've have audio recordings of it happening. 

I know, I listened to them. I've heard it once before listening into the woods with a parabolic dish, but mostly attributed it to natural deadfall and wind, though it was intense, I didn't have a metal roof to detect the rocks if there were any. 

Do you have specific rules for Firearm Discipline on the site?

Like it is OK to shoot if: A, B, C.

Do not shoot if all you have is X, Y, Z.

If someone does not follow these rules is there any course you can take such as, not allowing them back on site, or not allowing them with firearms?

Do you consider the creekbed shooting, where the person saw a shadow, heard grunting, and had his feet tangled in the chair, while shooting, to be an acceptable application of any rules you might have at the site?

The NAWAC "Rules of engagement:"

1. Collection teams will cease and desist from all collection activity when persons unaffiliated with the NAWAC are visiting on-site. 

2. Shooters will not fire when a person is down range, defined as within the shooter’s 11:00 – 1:00 o'clock field of view, or a sixty- to ninety-degree arc or cone.

3. All targets will be positively identified; no shots will be fired at any indefinable targets. 

4. No shooter or spotter may perform [concealed observation via thermal scope] for more than two consecutive nights without a break for one full night. Exceptions to this can be made by the Field Coordinator.

5. All teams must be designated prior to deployment as a Collection Team or Documentation Team by the Field Coordinator. This will be based on the make-up, experience, training, preparedness, confidence, and resources of each respective team. Documentation teams will only be concerned with gathering data through observational methods. Collection Teams, on the other hand, will be tasked with specimen collection and data collection.

No one in the organization can participate in X operations without agreeing to these rules. They represent a sensible and somewhat obvious approach to maintaining the safety of our people and others which, as I've said, is more important to us than anything else. 

Do you consider the creekbed shooting, where the person saw a shadow, heard grunting, and had his feet tangled in the chair, while shooting, to be an acceptable application of any rules you might have at the site?

Sure. He was being charged by a large animal and was totally correct to defend himself. In this case, it wasn't just the sound of a charging animal he was attempting to fire at. He could see it through the brush, it's general outline, it's approximate height and width, etc. In actual fact, everyone is able to defend themselves in situations like that. That's not just an NAWAC thing. It's common sense. 

Bipto, thanks for posting the link page with the sound files.

Question, the sound file with the vocal, am I also hearing correctly that there also appears to be what I can only describe as a deep "whoof" sound? Twice? Hard to tell with the blasted cicada's sounding off. HATE those things!

Yeah, the cicadias totally ruin that recording. We didn't even know we recorded it until much later and only because a member was being especially thorough in reviewing the audio we captured.

I've never heard that sound myself but my husband may have, as recently as the past week coming up from the bottoms. It sounds like what he described, a loud deep "whoof" sound,he said definately not canine or bear. He heard a dog barking down there and then "that sound" and the dog went nuts. Will play the sound file for him when he gets home and see if it is or is similar to what he heard.

Guest Urkelbot

What would happen if someone in a ape costume running around was shot and died at area x.  Would it be at least manslaughter?  

I've never heard that sound myself but my husband may have, as recently as the past week coming up from the bottoms. It sounds like what he described, a loud deep "whoof" sound,he said definately not canine or bear. He heard a dog barking down there and then "that sound" and the dog went nuts. Will play the sound file for him when he gets home and see if it is or is similar to what he heard.

Got an immediate "yup that's it" from the husband on the 20 & 32 second mark.