N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Bipto, I think he's referring to the link you posted when I asked about the sounds because he mentions the 32 second mark. I guess he's claiming it sounds like a black bear or something else.

Oh, excellent. I sent our recording to Lynn Rogers who's a nationally-recognized bear expert with more than 40 years' experience up in Ely, MN. Without telling him who I was, what organization I was with, or what we thought we might have recorded, I asked him specifically if he thought we might have recorded a bear sound. He told me that neither he nor anyone else in his center heard what they thought was bears in our recording. 

That's already mentioned on our Operation Endurance report I linked to before:

The recorded vocalizations were sent to bear expert Dr. Lynn Rogers for an opinion; he reported back that the sounds were not made by black bears.

Nice!                                                                                                                                                                                                       I wasn't going to argue that my husbands knows what a bear sounds like. Good to see you got verification from a bear expert!!!!!!!!

We didn't think it was a bear when we recorded it, but we wanted to be thorough and acknowledged we probably hadn't hear all possible bear vocalizations. If anyone has, it's Rogers. 

The "woof" sound I heard had a lot of air and power behind it.  A friend and I were sitting on the ground in the woods, she crossed legged and me sitting on my heels, facing each other.  We were whispering to each other about how crazy quiet it was and from behind me came that sound.  I immediately pointed and she nodded her head and moved her eyes to say "yes that was one and it was definitely behind me" but nothing else made any sounds, not even a squirrel. 

It doesn't really sound like a dog or a bear IMO.  I heard the air coming out before the actual "woof sound" and it was probably not more than 15-20 feet from my left shoulder.

We left about 15 minutes later with no other sounds.  BTW, this was mid afternoon in the winter.

Guest Robert2

What caliber and types of firearms does your team carry? I understand that is a personal choice, I just wondered if there was any kind of agreement amongst you about what would be most effective. 

I noticed you have what appears to be a medium sized semi-auto loading pistol. I would want something larger than that, myself. 

I carry a Sig P226 .40 for protection. Various other members carry similar sidearms (a couple of .40s and a bunch of .45s).

The group has a .30-06 with a thermal scope mounted. Calibre of the weapon is, I believe, limited by the sensitivity of the therm.

Guest Robert2

I carry a Sig P226 .40 for protection. Various other members carry similar sidearms (a couple of .40s and a bunch of .45s).

The group has a .30-06 with a thermal scope mounted. Calibre of the weapon is, I believe, limited by the sensitivity of the therm.

OK. If you do happen to kill one, and it's a big one, what are the plans for moving an 800 lb dead body?

Also, and again this is just my opinion, ya'll aught to be carrying .44 magnum revolvers. These things are really BIG. 

Edited by Robert2

Well, we carry what we have. Some folks have bigger than .45. Caliber ain't everything. Buffalo Bore has some nasty .40 rounds now.

WRT to removing the animal, we have some gear on-site that will facilitate. If we can't get the whole thing out, we have a Plan B. And C.

Guest Robert2

Buff Bore is dynamite ammo. When I started investigating going out afield to actually try to find one of these and shoot it, I made the investment in fast powerful firearms. I have two .44 mag revolvers and one .44 mag lever action carbine. It has a short barrel, only 16", and only weighs 5 lbs loaded.

I can get the carbine up on my shoulder and put the fiber optic front sight on target within one second, and due to the longer barrel and longer sight radius it is more accurate and more powerful than either revolver, while shooting the exact same ammo. 

Just some grist for the mill. 

As far as removal, that will be a real project. You have considered taking it out in pieces, if need be, I can tell. 

Hello Bipto,

I have followed the vast majority of this thread and have a question that I don't think I've seen asked before.

Since some of the most consistent activity is around the cabins with the rock throwing and such, has any thought ever been given to some sort of modifications to the cabins themselves to allow for getting out quicker or possibly viewing the animals for a possible shot? It just keeps coming back to me that somehow utilizing the cabins in an unexpected way could lead to a break for the NAWAC. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Guest Cervelo

We didn't think it was a bear when we recorded it, but we wanted to be thorough and acknowledged we probably hadn't hear all possible bear vocalizations. If anyone has, it's Rogers.

This guy?

http://www.twincities.com/outdoors/ci_23739934/dave-orrick-lynn-rogers-bear-research-trial

If its the same guy I guess this idiot would know ;)

That's a wild bear he's feeding by mouth!

01B4253E-456E-4466-8488-6CB719214E0A-556

Edited by Cervelo