N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Here is a new Facebook post today from Texas Parks&Wildlife about a wild black bear cub ( native brown phase) in the Texas panhandle. To my previous point about Bear being across Oklahoma now , not just in the SE.  It is often said the Bigfoot habitat requirements are same as Bear..so here ya go.. 

"It ran towards Oklahoma." I love that. Typical DNR-type response. Nothing to see here! Move along! 

Interesting about the squeaky balls. In one of my research locations I left a small (cheap) garden solar light beside a small rock cairn I'd built over some fruit, all in the middle of a small sand/gravel island in the creek that I'd raked and prepared to improve the chance of prints. Solar light was taken, fruit and stone cairn appeared untouched - no prints, and no sign of the solar light in the year or so since.

I also placed a small pet rattle/ball nearby next to a food temptation-based hair snare that I've been working on. On one occasion the ball ended up a few metres away in the creek, but usually appeared untouched. After swapping hair snares in and out a few times I actually picked up the rattle/ball to look at it more closely and noticed several of the small fruit stickers that were on some of the apples had been chewed and picked out and were on the ground underneath the ball.

Pack rats like shiny things and would not leave deep impressions.

Edited by norseman

Bipto, Since you are already familiar with the ergonomics and operation of the P226, I would highly suggest you try the new P227. Everything is basically the same except it is a .45acp 10+1 with a nice slim grip. I found that I was much more accurate taking multiple consecutive shots with the .45 over the .40s&w. I do prefer the the firm push of the .45acp, over the snappy recoil of the .40s&w.  I am also a believer that it is a generally superior cartridge for most purposes.

Of course I didn't figure this out until I already owned a safe full of other calibers and ammo reserves. :blackeye:

Guest JoelS

Bipto, Since you are already familiar with the ergonomics and operation of the P226, I would highly suggest you try the new P227. Everything is basically the same except it is a .45acp 10+1 with a nice slim grip. I found that I was much more accurate taking multiple consecutive shots with the .45 over the .40s&w. I do prefer the the firm push of the .45acp, over the snappy recoil of the .40s&w.  I am also a believer that it is a generally superior cartridge for most purposes.

Of course I didn't figure this out until I already owned a safe full of other calibers and ammo reserves. :blackeye:

Nothing wrong with having a large accumulation of firearms :-)

Here is a link to a nice page on the Nitro Express Magnum .600 revolver:

http://www.vincelewis.net/60magnum.html

It is quite the pistol... Be sure to look at the ballistics on down the page... Amazing! It is not the same pistol as the one in your video (that is a Thompson Contender Encore .600), but they discuss the same video and that pistol in the article as well...

And for those of you that are not "down" with the .600 Nitro cartridge, you can also get the pistol in .458 WInchester Magnum... much more manageable...  :o

However, as the site says, these are rich men's toys... very rich men...

Edited by LaRueLaDue

I have no idea how anyone can claim a .458 Win mag in a PISTOL is manageable......... :o

The problem with Sasquatch is that they operate at night. The problem with traditional cowboy lever guns like my Marlin guide gun (or a bolt action rifle) is that they don't have any attachment points for accessories that help with night time operations. Some companies are attempting to remedy this with small RIS (Rail Interface System) for Marlins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_Integration_System

The quickest remedy is to snap off the upper receiver of your AR that's a small 5.56 caliber and buy an upper that chambers a round skookum enough to do the job. (.50 Beowulf, .458 SOCOM, .450 Bushmaster)

http://www.alexanderarms.com/index.php/products/50-beowulf.html

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=251

dscn2661.jpg

I think that manageable is relative, especially in comparison to the .600 nitro express magnum...! (I think neither are manageable for normal humans. :crazy: )

Changing the upper in an AR to a large round is a good fix for the attachment issue, but I am still not sure that I would want to discharge one of those larger rounds in that light of a rifle. Maybe the changed upper is a lot heavier?

There is a very specific breed of 'Footer for whom every conversation will eventually get around to ballistics, no matter how it starts. 

No worries there with control!

Ummm Bipto, technically we are talking cailbers right now and not ballistics.............;)

When ever you want me to stop hijacking your thread just say the word and I'll shut up.

Calber discussions are fun and gossipy... But ballistics is definitely science. Should we switch to ballistics to keep this on a higher,  scientific level of discussion? /(just kidding!)

;)